Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FW: Canada's privacy czar gives dire warning about anti-terrorism laws

• 01-02-2003 3:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

[ Reposted from Politech ]

[This is strong language. Read it. It shows that a privacy czar writing
    about government intrusions can be a powerful advocate for liberty. --Declan]

Hi Declan,

Don't know whether you've already seen this :

http://www.privcom.gc.ca/information/ar/02_04_10_e.asp

The first couple of paragraphs look like this :

It is my duty, in this Annual Report, to present a solemn
    and urgent warning to every Member of Parliament and Senator,
    and indeed to every Canadian:
    The fundamental human right of privacy in Canada is under
    assault as never before. Unless the Government of Canada is
    quickly dissuaded from its present course by Parliamentary
    action and public insistence, we are on a path that may well
    lead to the permanent loss not only of privacy rights that
    we take for granted but also of important elements of freedom
    as we now know it.

Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The Government is, quite simply, using September 11 as an excuse for new collections and uses of personal information about all of us Canadians that cannot be justified by the requirements of anti-terrorism and that, indeed, have no place in a free and democratic society.

Guys got balls and shows he is no puppet. Pity we can't get people like that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

The Canadian Commissioner who wrote this report *is in Dublin* Mon and Tue of this week. I'll be interviewing him -- but of more immediate relevance is the fact that he's giving a lecture at UCD on Monday, Feb 3 at 7 pm. I've got details here:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0103966/2003/02/02.html#a1399

But PLEASE NOTE that I am not sure if this is open to the public. I believe it is but do call UCD to double check if you want to hear him.

Advertisement