Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire to play with.

Options
  • 07-02-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

I've upgraded my phone so I have my old HTC Desire (original Desire model) to play around with. I'm wondering what I can do with it, e.g. as a music player, maybe use it as a satnav, do some app development, etc. Any suggestions?

Is the hardware good enough to run latest bleeding edge Android, and where do I get started with that? Last time I played around with ROMs it was on my XDA Orbit (HTC P3300).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Trojan wrote: »
    I've upgraded my phone so I have my old HTC Desire (original Desire model) to play around with. I'm wondering what I can do with it, e.g. as a music player, maybe use it as a satnav, do some app development, etc. Any suggestions?

Is the hardware good enough to run latest bleeding edge Android, and where do I get started with that? Last time I played around with ROMs it was on my XDA Orbit (HTC P3300).

I'd say music games and sat nav just search htc desire
    xda in google and click first link then go android developmnent and click the one that says vs cm10 10.1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Al - install this rom on your phone.
    Its a great version of Jellybean for the desire, and pretty stable.
    It'll be like you have a new phone :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I use an old Sensation for listening to podcasts and and docked as an alarm clock. Sticking it in flight mode and manually turning on wi-fi seems to help save battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You can also install Battery Widget? Reborn! (BETA) have it auto go into Flight Mode or just turn off WiFi during a set time range.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I have an old galaxy s being used as a google play music client, it's paired with a bluetooth receiver that is connected to a decent set of speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

i couldnt get any roms beyond android 2.2.3 working properly. i think because i had a slow sd card though...

goddamn space on that phone was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm trying to root my HTC Desire but falling at one of the first hurdles: I'm not able to install the driver software, I see the following error:

5n720Wi.png

I'm running Windows 8 64-bit, and I'm trying to follow the steps to root as described here: http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/300866-guide-rooting-htc-android-2-2-1-lower-unrevoked-windows-updated-20th-december-2012-a.html

I've installed HTC Sync and uninstalled HTC manager, and uninstalled Dropbox. I can connect to the Desire via USB both in HBOOT (with a successful USB connection message) and in regular Android OS.

I experimented with a couple other drivers - "Universal_Naked_Driver_0.72.zip" and "Acer_A1.win8.usb_drivers.x86_x64.rar" I found mentioned elsewhere.

Are there other drivers available? Any other advice for me to root this for the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skully

You'll probably need to disable device driver signing to allow the HTC drivers to work
    There's a "how to" HERE

Advertisement