Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodturning starter equipment?

Options
  • 21-09-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I've done woodturning for 2 years, and I'm looking to buy my own lathe. I'm only 17, so as you can imagine I don't have much money to spend on a lathe, but I also don't want one that will need to be replaced this time next year :/ I'm looking for some help with choosing a first lathe, something good but preferably not higher than €300 as I still need to buy accessories, which brings me on to my next point. I'd like to know what equipment would be necessary to buy with it? The lathe I was thinking of buying is this one from axeminster

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...he-prod780615/

I was also wondering if it would be ok to keep the lathe in a corner of the shed I have, it's a big shed so I'd only be using a corner of it for my stuff, but I don't have enough money go spending on a filter as well, so would a mask be alright to wear with it, and I could keep the door open?
    Any help will be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Denis322 wrote: »
    I've done woodturning for 2 years, and I'm looking to buy my own lathe. I'm only 17, so as you can imagine I don't have much money to spend on a lathe, but I also don't want one that will need to be replaced this time next year :/ I'm looking for some help with choosing a first lathe, something good but preferably not higher than €300 as I still need to buy accessories, which brings me on to my next point. I'd like to know what equipment would be necessary to buy with it? The lathe I was thinking of buying is this one from axeminster

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...he-prod780615/

I was also wondering if it would be ok to keep the lathe in a corner of the shed I have, it's a big shed so I'd only be using a corner of it for my stuff, but I don't have enough money go spending on a filter as well, so would a mask be alright to wear with it, and I could keep the door open?
    Any help will be much appreciated
    To start off you need the lathe obviously.
    Then you are going to need chisels - an average set would include a spindle gouge, a bowl gouge, a roughing gouge, a skew chisel, a parting tool and sometimes a round scraper.
    You will need a bench grinder for sharpening.
    Face plates and drive centres usually come with the lathe and you can get along fine with these for work holding.
    Nowadays, everyone has a 4 jaw self centering chuck - some people (me included) hardly ever take them off the spindle. These chucks usually have a range of jaws to suit different circumstances.

The last thing I wan to do is put you off wood turning but to be brutally honest, €300 is not going to go very far.
    It's a while since I've gone shopping for stuff so I wouldn't have a great idea of up to date prices but here goes;
    First of all, the shipping on the Axminxter lathe will add a lot more to the £250 price tag. It's not a bad lathe at all, good capacities and a centrifugal speed change - it's generic lathe, made in China, which you will see under many different brandings. They're ok but in time they tend to become a bit noisy.
    Chisel set - don't skimp on these - a good set is going to cost over €200 new.
    A good 4 jaw chuck will cost over €200.
    You can get bench grinders for under €30.
    So to get set up you are looking at an investment of at least €800.

If I was you, I would definitely look at second hand machines. You can get lathes which are considerably better than modern budget machines and sometimes, the owner will have made improvements or bought all the machine's attachments.
    Sometimes, you can be really lucky and get a whole load of other items thrown in.
    So, save a bit more and keep an eye on the ads. Be prepared to travel and bring someone with you who is good at haggling.

When you do finally get set up, get into the habit of wearing a dust mask all the time. Turning in the shed would be fine, if the floor is solid - sure that's where 99% of turners are to be found.
    Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
    SB

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

slowburner wrote: »
    To start off you need the lathe obviously.
    Then you are going to need chisels - an average set would include a spindle gouge, a bowl gouge, a roughing gouge, a skew chisel, a parting tool and sometimes a round scraper.
    You will need a bench grinder for sharpening.
    Face plates and drive centres usually come with the lathe and you can get along fine with these for work holding.
    Nowadays, everyone has a 4 jaw self centering chuck - some people (me included) hardly ever take them off the spindle. These chucks usually have a range of jaws to suit different circumstances.

The last thing I wan to do is put you off wood turning but to be brutally honest, €300 is not going to go very far.
    It's a while since I've gone shopping for stuff so I wouldn't have a great idea of up to date prices but here goes;
    First of all, the shipping on the Axminxter lathe will add a lot more to the £250 price tag. It's not a bad lathe at all, good capacities and a centrifugal speed change - it's generic lathe, made in China, which you will see under many different brandings. They're ok but in time they tend to become a bit noisy.

If I was you, I would definitely look at second hand machines. You can get lathes which are considerably better than modern budget machines and sometimes, the owner will have made improvements or bought all the machine's attachments.
    Sometimes, you can be really lucky and get a whole load of other items thrown in.
    So, save a bit more and keep an eye on the ads. Be prepared to travel and bring someone with you who is good at haggling.

When you do finally get set up, get into the habit of wearing a dust mask all the time. Turning in the shed would be fine, if the floor is solid - sure that's where 99% of turners are to be found.
    Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
    SB

Thanks for the help, just always been a bit nervy about buying second hand machinery but I'll probably have to go down that route with roughly only about €400 odd budget

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You probably shouldn't be too nervy about buying secondhand. Best thing to do is join the Wood Turners Guild. This will more than likely put you in touch with folks who might be selling kit that you can trust.
    http://www.irishwoodturnersguild.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Regarding storage....

My lathe is in an barn open on 3 sides and I give it light spray and wipe over with Spray Lithium Grease and keep it covered every night with a couple of layers of breathable plastic with a topping of heavy duty waterproof plastic held with bungee straps and its been OK for the last 4 years. Tools chucks etc are kept in a much drier shed when not in use.

I keep meaning to make a wooden open bottom box to put over the lathe when I'm not using it but wrapping it up has worked well so far, the reason for the breathable plastic layers is that they are warmer and don't attract condensation like the heavy waterproof plastic and I think that might be one reason the system works OK. I also wrap it up quite loosely to allow some air flow.

Well if that system prevented the dreaded red stuff over the past two winters - why change it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Well if that system prevented the dreaded red stuff over the past two winters - why change it ?

Quite surprised how well it works, but must do the legs with some Owatrol this winter, they don't get covered up and the rust has just started to push the paint off in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Hmm, would disagree with above, would put it more in the region of 5 to 600 hundred. Decent set of sorby or ashley iles chisel, about 140, respectable chuck say nova g3 - no more than 120 with 2 set of jaws - bench grinder - might be more than above, decent record one with white stone - around 60 euro, lathe - starter from 325 up, mid range 480 say for a cl3, upper-end from around 1000 up for a nova belt drive - see you in dublin, so mc quillans should be able to get you going, if not, drop me an email - other site in dublin would be the http://www.thehutwoodturningsupplies.com - phone des and he may be able to help you as well. The woodturners guild is a great place for advice and help as well.

many thanks

Stan

:) As I said.........

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just back from my holidays so have just seen this thread.

To be honest, I can't add very much to what the others have said, but I have to echo what's been said already that the lathe is really only the beginning when it comes to costs.

For your budget the lathe you linked to wouldn't be bad, but it is really just an Axminster branded version of a generic Chinese manufactured lathe that you'll see in many different colours and guises from a number of suppliers. The difference is that at least Axminster will stand behind their product and offer some degree of support which you might not get with others.

Second hand would be a good alternative, and if you've hot plenty of room, a nice solid floor (they're very heavy) and aren't too worried about aesthetics then some of the old ex-school / college workshop Harrison/Union Jubilee or Graduate machines are a good buy. I know there are lots for sale in the UK but I don't know about here.

However as I said, this is only the beginning ... I'd guess I'd have more money invested in all the bits and bobs than I do in the lathe itself by now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its a buyers market for woodworking machinery, so dont go jumping at the first thing you see.

Here,s an example of whats out there.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tools/2566739

• Advertisement

I might know where there is one of these, that I may be able to get for you, for nothing. I,m checking it out now. It might get you going until something more suitable comes along.
    Of course the type of lathe you want, is dependant on the type of turning you want to be involved in, spindle, or bowl, or both.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tools/2542113

kadman

Welcome back Kadman. That lathe looks like a great machine to start with. Decent capacities and very little to go wrong.

Welcome back Kadman. That lathe looks like a great machine to start with. Decent capacities and very little to go wrong.

I was never too far away;)

That type of lathe for a beginner is not too bad, and will serve its purpose I,d say.
    The one I,m hunting down if I can, was used by me many years ago, the father too, and the brother. We,ve all progressed to monster machines now, big centauro for me, and the brother has a killinger.

I was at the homeplace recently, and noticed the little one in a shed, looking for a new home:)

It will probably need a good clean up, and maybe a faceplate to. Its that long since I used it, I cant remember whats on it. I,d have grabbed it at 17.
    Thats 40 years ago for me. I started off with a Wolf drill, clamped upside down to a bench:p

kadman

I know of someone selling a Centauro atm. I don't have many details about it though.

I know of someone selling a Centauro atm. I don't have many details about it though.

Galway???

kadman wrote: »
    Galway???
    Wicklow :)
    Sounds like a serious bit of kit - what do you think of yours Kadman? The one I am thinking about doesn't have variable speed - which I don't think I could do without now (I've an old Myford Mystro). Mind you, 5' between centres is tempting.

I think mine is well over 5' between centres. Its a serious bit of kit. And the out board end turning is massive. Total diameter I,d say is well over 4', if my memory serves me well.

http://www.fordaqmachinery.com/wood/products/ViewProduct/Centauro_TM_2000__532.jspa

Mine was originally a 3 phase, but now has a 3 hp single phase motor. No variable speed unfortunately.

This is the same as mine, without the copier. And you can see the additional outboard toolpost section as well.

That's some beast. Is the spindle threaded M33 x 3.5?

That's some beast. Is the spindle threaded M33 x 3.5?

I,d have to check that, but I think it is. I cant find it on the machine specs that I have.

• Advertisement

The asking price for the one I mentioned is €800 - I haven't seen it though. What do you think?

Do you know what model it is. I,ve seen Union,s going for 500 euro. Its a buyers market out there at the moment.

Think I might hang on for a while so.
    I was looking for a Graduate before I got the Mystro a few years back. I got on to a well known secondhand dealer - asking price €3,500 :eek:
    I asked if it was gold plated.

Advertisement