Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maternity hospital

Options
  • 27-07-2015 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All,
    I've recently found out I am pregnant (whoop!) and am having trouble deciding on a maternity hospital.
    Does anyone have any suggestions based on past experiences?
    Or could someone point me in the direction of a recent thread on this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Yay congrats!! What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

Congrats on pregnancy ! If you are near dublin, I found Holles st great - I'm on pregnancy number 3 & nothing but positive so far. You will hear good & bad stories in every hospital though. You will also have decide on level of care too & again you'll hear pros and cons for everything. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pullover

Yay congrats!! What part of the country are you in?

Thanks!
    I'm in Dublin, would have been handy if I mentioned that! Ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I'm going to Holles St, semi-p, and have loved the experience so far. I had some bleeding early on and they couldn't have been more caring and reassuring.

Congrats on your big news!! Much an exciting time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Another shout out for holles street. Going public and have been great so far. Had to attend for early chickenpox scare and level of attention was brilliant. Attended the colposcopy clinic there before pregnancy on off over a year. Staff there also fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I was public in the Combe last year. Prenatal excellent, absolutely faultless and I had several complications (asthma attach, bleeds, high blood pressure and slow growth). Postnatal wards were bedlam but it was only 48hrs so short lived anyways. Will be going there again for the next one whenever we get around to it

Thanks so much for your help guys! Very exciting times!

Are you taking party in the domino scheme? I don't think I qualify as I live in Kildare so am outside the catchment area.

I'm going to Holles St, semi-p, and have loved the experience so far. I had some bleeding early on and they couldn't have been more caring and reassuring.

Congrats on your big news!! Much an exciting time!!

Congrats to you too!
    Hope all goes well for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I went public in the Rotunda and found them excellent. Do you work in the city? Go wherever is closest if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pullover wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your help guys! Very exciting times!

Are you taking party in the domino scheme? I don't think I qualify as I live in Kildare so am outside the catchment area.

I was too far out (Kildare too) though I could have attended the satellite clinic in naas if it hadn't been for complications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I'm attending the Coombe and found the excellent so far. Had 2 bleeds and was watched closely. If you live in Kildare they do the satellite clinic in naas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Coombe definitely. Having had experience of both the Rotunda and Coombe I'd pick the Coombe over the Rotunda.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Another plus one on the Coombe - found them fantastic twice so far and going the same on the third, which is on the way. Found they don't just focus on the baby but also on you, which by accounts I have heard not all maternity hospitals do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You'll hear good and bad about every hospital. I had two in Holles St and I'll go back if we've more. Others would never go there. Choose what suits and you won't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I've zero experience with the other two but my vote goes to the coombe. I had a difficult enough pregnancy and ended up having my baby a little early so things were a bit hectic but I couldn't fault them. They've been absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I chose the Rotunda because of proximity to my workplace and found them great. Is there a hospital that you live/work near?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Semi-p in the Rotunda, going there with baby no. 2 aswell. They're fantastic, I've had early bleeds with both and have Group B strep too (they picked it up in a swab). Had great labour and delivery with no.1. Both of us in for some time after and the care was excellent. They are understaffed like any other hospital but they still do great work. Their emergency room care is also very good.

As others say, go to the one closest you if you can. We're lucky in Dublin to have a choice of 3 excellent maternity hospitals, tbh.

Advertisement