Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting 5th Year - Where to start???

Options
  • 22-07-2015 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I'm going into 5th year and right from the get go, I want to be on top of things and organised and be able to get into the mindset of studying rather quickly. Im am going to be aiming for 550+ (not 100% sure on course yet but irrelevant atm).

How are people or how have people prepared themselves. I am unfortunately going to be missing the first 2/3 days of school, but I don't want it to affect me. I have the curriculum for the next 2 years but am not sure where to start.

By the way, if you're going to comment 'don't bother just enjoy your summer', please don't bother. I've had a fantastic summer and incredible TY and with just over a month to go before school, I feel it is important to calm things down now in my life and get back on track with Leaving Cert.

The subjects i'm doing are: Eng, Maths, Irish, Bio, Chem, Accounting, and Spanish. All higher level btw

Even if you have any small tips on how to study or to prepare myself now for these subjects please do let me know. Cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Have a designated study area. Preferably just a desk, chair and all the stationary/books you'll need. Try not to have it in your bedroom or a room with TVs etc, no matter how strong willed you are you will start to procrastinate. Turn off all mobile devices and laptops etc, unless being used for notes off Edmodo etc. If using Edmodo or something like that, download the notes and then turn WiFi off or block social media sites (just Google it, there are loads of extensions for browsers!).

Get organised, folders are essential! I had one for English Paper One then English Single Text, Poetry and Comparative. For languages, have a spare copy to note down phrases you've learnt that would be useful for orals/essays etc. You'd be surprised how much you'd build up in a short time!

Learn to learn. We all learn differently. I had different methods for different subjects. For Physics I condensed every chapter into one A4 page in a hardback. For Music I recorded myself reading my notes while the music would play and I could listen to it and learn. I k ow you don't do those subjects but I'm just giving you examples. Try to build good relations with your teachers from day one. They will be more likely to help you with work towards the end of Sixth Year. Pay CLOSE attention in class and be an active learner. You'd be surprised how a teacher's voice will resonate in your skill whennyiire alone in that exam hall!

Be active and be smart. It's not how long you study for, its how much you did in that time. You won't have much to study at the start of fifth, but start doing extra. Review what you did in each class that day and maybe not down in a study journal to keep track. Exercise daily too, walk or run to clear your mind!

I'm not sure if these helped, I wish I knew them at the start of fifth year really. The LC is a marathon not a sprint, pace yourself and you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

I didn't do accounting or spanish and i did Irish at ordinary level so i can't really advise on those.

English: POETRY. find out from your teacher which poets you'll likely be doing and when you get the chance read through all the poems. Don't rush them, do one a night. After reading each one a few times just right down your general ideas on them, themes, linguistic/stylistic tools etc. when you finish all the poems, do a final sheet which summarises the most important four or five recurring techniques that come up. Just know the poetry inside out and read as many different 'explanations' as possible

COMPARATIVE: just read through all the comparatives, and if possible do them all at least twice. Once again, jot down general themes and then see where they differ/where they're similar.

SINGLETEXT: know this one inside out, seriously. Know all the motivations of each character and try to get in their mindsets.

Paper 1: every second week spend an hour doing different things; comprehension Question A, diary entries, articles, short stories, discursive essays etc etc)

Of course it goes without saying that your teacher will without do all these as well, this is just for yourself to get the leg up over time. (ALSO this is an odd one but mark down quotes that can be used at the start or at the end of an essay, it's always impressive to start/end with a quote)

Maths: not much I can see here besides just constantly revise. After you finish a chapter just take an hour or two to do a couple of questions of each exercise just to remain fresh on each topic. At long holidays it would be worth doing exam questions/sample papers :)

Chem: from day one of 1st year our teacher taught us to basically rewrite the book in our own language, in concise and neat manner. I personally colour coded and used little book marks to separate definitions/examples/chapters etc. however this often ended up being a headache if i didn't stay on top of things.

Because it'll be in your own words, keep reading iver the previous topics and stay fresh. Also, do LOADS of questions from the book AND exam questions (and use the marking scheme liberally!!) Although i really hate this technique, you'd be a fool not to in chemistry when the marking scheme never changes.

(i used hardback A4 copies for my notes instead of flashcards btw, and i went through 2 and a half. I basically wrote out the whole book!)

Biology: first of all, just make sure you actually understand everything you cover as it comes up! Too many people in bio just shrug off when they don't get things because they rationalise "ah sure i'll come back to it" when in reality 99% of the time you won't be able to get it on your own.

Keep notes (as opposed to chem I used flashcards for this (though i got lazy and ended up missing a bunch of chapters)) and also just read through the book and pay attention to examples.

For the key topics like respiration/photosynthesis/genetics/protein synthesis etc make sure to summarise them in your own simplistic terms and use diagrams (especially for respiration I found). Do exam questions, but don't rely on marking schemes too much as they seem to change sometimes in the depth of answer needed.

This is pretty brief, and you'll find you'll settle into your own patterns quickly (might end up being nothing like mine), but remember that you have a huge amount of time. Just stay organised and on top of things in fifth year (like homework, projects etc) and you'll be ahead of 95% of the country. Best of luck and just take it easy, you don't wanna burn out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

That came out incredibly convoluted and probably won't be much help beyond "stay organised and on top of things" Sorry!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Accounting- just keep doing questions. There is no other way of studying than practicing questions. A lot of the questions are very similar year after year so you just need to do a load of exam papers.

Maths- much like accounting it's all about practice, practice, practice. I would advise you to concentrate on algebra for fifth year. You'll find that most questions on the paper involve algebra at some point so you need to be very comfortable with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you particularly like one of your prescribed poets, reading their biography can help a great deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Thanks for all the advice. Keep em coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Find out what method of studying works for you early. Condensed notes and flashcards work great for some people, but I preferred to just read the textbook over and over as revision. Could sort of picture the page an answer was on during the exam because I'd read the same page so much over the 2 years. Doesn't work at all for some people though so just figure out how you learn best.

For languages I spent ages recording myself speaking for the oral etc but it really was a waste of time looking back as I learned far faster reading it off a sheet. Don't waste time on ineffective methods.

Just always do your maths homework properly and completely and listen to the corrections in class and actively learn from mistakes. That's the only way to succeed in maths, cramming does NOT work in that subject (while it can work well in a lot of subjects)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Just regarding maths, I would definitely familiarise yourself with the exam questions as early as you can. I left it till 6th year, maybe even the middle of 6th year to try get to used to them. I definitely believe I could have been so much better at Maths if I had just given more time to the exam questions. Also foor some, it will take a lot longer for things to click in maths so do be practising questions when you have some material covered. In 5th year. Honestly just stay on-top of everything for 5th year. I found 5th year workload at the start much harder then 6th year at the start, because it was really such a giant leap from TY..

Regarding biology, keep up the learning every day. Your teacher will probably drill this notion into your brain anyway from the first day. Very important cause the course it far too big to leave until the last minute.

As others say, get your own work area. Depending on your subjects, I did use the internet to help me in my research e.g art history essays so you might need a computer/laptop. Make timetable, e.g I'll start at 5.30 and finish at around 8.30, list subjects and how much time for each. Over the two years you'll discover exactly what methods work best for you, how you learn quicker. I found colouring terms really helpful! Though I only figured this out at the last minute so !:P

Cheers guys. Maths has always been a b***h to me, so i'm taking your guys's advice and gonna focus on algebra for the next couple of weeks. I'm sure this will be explained in school but with this whole new grading system coming in to 2017, how will this affect me and my points/cao and what I want to do???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd focus on 6 HL subjects. Stick with them all for 5th year, but at the end of the year I'd drop one to OL, or sooner if you make your mind up.

I did 8 subjects this year, 6 HL and 2 OL, and I think that doing 7HL would be more difficult. Drop your worst, or the one you're least interested in

• Advertisement

I'd focus on 6 HL subjects. Stick with them all for 5th year, but at the end of the year I'd drop one to OL, or sooner if you make your mind up.

I did 8 subjects this year, 6 HL and 2 OL, and I think that doing 7HL would be more difficult. Drop your worst, or the one you're least interested in

Yeah iv'e narrowed my weaker subjects down to languages which are Spanish and Irish (English is good ;)). I'll be taking higher level for both in 5th year but will most likely drop one of them in the beginning of 6th year. To drop levels do you just straight up tell your teacher you want to go down becuase my language teachers like me and wouldn't be keen on me dropping but it would help myself greatly knowing the workload of a subject has reduced dramatically and I won't have to concentrate on that subject too much now.

Yeah, if you're a good student you'll probably have to insist on dropping. One of my friends was A1 standard in Irish but hated the language , pretty sure he had to go to the principal to be allowed drop, as his HL teacher kept delaying him. You've to talk to the OL teacher too obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Any advice I'd give is to stay exam focused. Some subjects tend to repeat themselves some years.
    Chemistry is one that I've noticed tends to repeat itself often - but the books arent great a lot of the time. Do exam questions and get used to learning some answers off the marking scheme, pay close attention to it because there are some words that they just don't accept. Chemistry will seem hard at first but it gets easier with practise because of its repetition
    Biology is an EXTREMELY long course and the questions in the past few years have changed a bit. Keep a folder and draw out diagrams, label them and their functions, it condenses a lot of information.
    Maths is simply exam paper practise. Buy a set and practise each subject in maths that you study as you go along, if makes things a lot easier in 6th year.
    Languages, practise for the oral a lot. It may only be a 15 minute exam but a lot of preparation needs to be done because they could really ask you anything! What I found helpful was that my teacher gave us sheets of questions in a certain tense (past present future etc) - its one of the main reasons people drop marks in exams because they're not answering in the right tense! Split your vocabulary into different sections (school, family etc) it will help a lot

Also if you're thinking of dropping subjects please think about it in fifth year (and not after the mocks like I did) it will save a lot of hassle and it gives you extra time to adjust to the OL subject (exam is different focusing on different things)

guys i was just wondering, there is a new grading system coming in for 2017 (the year i do my LC). I was wondering how this will affect CAO points for courses and when will information be released on these courses in relation to the new grading system. Will it make entry into courses with higher points easier or what??? Kind of confused

guys i was just wondering, there is a new grading system coming in for 2017 (the year i do my LC). I was wondering how this will affect CAO points for courses and when will information be released on these courses in relation to the new grading system. Will it make entry into courses with higher points easier or what??? Kind of confused

There's a thread here might answer some of your questions
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057421945/5/#post95342723

Advertisement