Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acupuncture worth a try?

Options
  • 16-07-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm considering trying acupuncture for a few of the niggly symptoms, constipation & back twinges in particular, so I'm just wondering if anybody has tried it for maternity related issues & if it was beneficial? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I wouldn't go near acupuncture generally, let alone when pregnant.

Not a fan of sticking any foreign bodies into myself, especially needles, unless it's absolutely necessary and has some quantifiable benefit. There are a few recorded cases of Hepatitis B and AIDS transmission for example, and a handful of collapsed lungs (307) or other organ damage when the needle goes in too far. Clinical trials suggest zero % efficacy. So, fairly low risk, but not many benefits. Bit of a "meh" on the scientific front.
    Here's a pubmed paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23511615
    And someone having a go at quantifying reported adverse effects
    http://med-vetacupuncture.org/english/articles/adverse1.html
    And here's a blog with some interpretation
    http://edzardernst.com/2013/02/how-many-fatalities-has-acupuncture-caused-and-are-acupuncturists-in-denial/

But, ya know, people try stuff and it doesn't do any harm most of the time. Make sure the needles are clean etc. Up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Absolutely go for it! For me is resulted in a successful conception after many many tests. And now I'm going at 39 weeks for cervix ripening/ softening and help with the water retention I'm experiencing in hands and feet. Very painful!

Obviously do thorough research into the therapist as fully qualified therapists will know what points to avoid so as not to interfere with pregnancy. It is a science, and widely acknowledged as effective from the research I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I used it while ttc and all through my pregnancy. I had SPD early on and it really helped. It also worked for nausea and morning sickness. I found/ find it great for lots of things. I went to an acupuncturist that I had been attending for a good number of years anyway and so trusted him completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Thanks ladies,

I'm really interested in trying it but just had reservations. I'm going to research a good acupuncturist now & give it a go! I have 2 friends who swore by it for conceiving & another whos really, really suffering with morning sickness at the moment so I must say it to her as I hadn't even thought it might be beneficial for that! I really appreciate all of your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Conar

It is a science, and widely acknowledged as effective from the research I've done.

It's not a science, but as a scientific theory there is a lot of doubt as to its efficacy.
    Stumbled on this thread and just thought I'd ad the following article for balance:
    www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/26/acupuncture-sceptics-proof-effective-nhs
    There is a bit that references pregnacy towards the end. It's worth a read if your for or against it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Conar wrote: »
    It's not a science, but as a scientific theory there is a lot of doubt as to its efficacy.
    Stumbled on this thread and just thought I'd ad the following article for balance:
    www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/26/acupuncture-sceptics-proof-effective-nhs
    There is a bit that references pregnacy towards the end. It's worth a read if your for or against it.

Interesting. The article boils down to saying it's an expensive placebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

I was 18 months ttc was starting in sims fertility I did one acupuncture and I'm now 3 weeks pregnant so think it's helped! I think il give it a break now until I passed the 12 weeks il see for the morning sickness

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Well that was another aspect I was interested in as I have two friends who swore by it for conception & I have another considering it for the same reason having had a failed IVF attempt. They're now saving for the next round but she'd like to try acupuncture in the interim.

I think I'll start it in a few weeks & see how I get on. I'd be delighted if it worked instead of having to get prescriptions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I was 18 months ttc was starting in sims fertility I did one acupuncture and I'm now 3 weeks pregnant so think it's helped! I think il give it a break now until I passed the 12 weeks il see for the morning sickness

Congrats!!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The problem is that's it's impossible to know if it actually helps as people are already trying to conceive. It's like taking homeopathic remedies for a cold, you're going to get better anyway. Your constipation will eventually pass too.

The only way to know it to conduct a randomised double blind clinical trial; something acupuncture has never succeeded in showing any benefit beyond placebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

pwurple wrote: »
    Interesting. The article boils down to saying it's an expensive placebo.

Whatever about for conceiving and that, I definitely don't think its a placebo for SPD. My physio is also an acupuncturist. I remember her, on my first pregnancy, doing her physio massage and it was getting there but because the muscles were so tight she did acupuncture. When those needles in the muscles were twanged - oh my god the agony!! They definitely loosened the muscles up much further than her physio alone. I've been back for SPD for other pregnancy and they only bring out the needles when the muscles are really tight - you definitely can tell the difference.

Advertisement