Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joist finder

Options
  • 25-08-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

May sound like a strange title but does anyone know where I would get a tool to be able to find where the uprights are behind a partition wall that is already plastered? I have tried tapping/knocking on the wall but need to be precise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're called 'stud finders', available in all DIY shops. I saw at least 3 different makes in Woodies when I was looking recently, although I didn't actually buy one in the end, so can't make any recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

work in 400 centres from edge of wall thats what most people put the studs in at. then get a hammer and nail or small drill bit and you wont be long finding the stud. easy to fill over if you have missed the stud.

for a really dramatic effect use a six inch nail and 32 oz hammer.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I sometimes use a small magnet and just mark where it sticks to a plasterboard nail or screw, cheap and cheerful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

I use a strong magnet as well , had an electronic one and was a unreliable
    Bear in mind some exterior walls have no studs - the insulated plasterboard is just glued onto the brickwork

Advertisement