Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

solar/dehumidifier drying timber

Options
  • 18-09-2011 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭

i'm thinking of using a fridge trailer with double glazed units cut into top with a diy solar collecter on inside. However i was going to incorporate a dehumidifier for the off days in drying. Has anyone tried anything like this or has anyone any info that can help. gone through all the google links and cant really find anything suitable for ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Would this link be any good for you?
    http://www.jonathan-guest.co.uk/solar-kiln.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

cheers for that. will try to see what sort of results he gets

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I was thinking about the solar kiln today - a problem that I would see is that heat might not get distributed as evenly as it would in a commercial kiln. This would mean that you would have to turn boards over as they dried to avoid cupping and warping. So my guess (and that's all it is) is that the dehumidifier would be a good idea, because it might even up the drying conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

from what i studied at college i believe a lot of the cupping and warping can be avoided by stacking correctly and then making sure ALL the wood is at the right mc prior to removing any of it. the dehumidifier was for the days (a lot at the moment) which wouldnt be suitable for getting wood down to the required mc in a reasonable rate of time. i can get pretty impatient sometimes.

Advertisement