Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail order wine?

Options
  • 19-08-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Folks... of better experiance than mine...

I had s very nice wine in a local restruant..
    Beronia Crianza 2012

So I'd love to get myself a dozen...
    I can see they are available here
    http://www.decantalo.com/en/

Whats the deal with getting 12 bottles delivered to Ireland?
    Any issues... i should be aware of?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check www.revenue.ie to see if you may be liable for duty on your imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Not an easy site to find what I'm asking.
    But a general Internet search provided me with the answer.... Forget it

Tax, duty and excise charges must be paid unless you accompany (carry) the goods into Ireland...

Ireland eh!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

trackerman wrote: »

Ireland eh!

No, pretty much every country in the world.

The other ones ban alcohol...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Tax, duty and excise charges must be paid unless you accompany (carry) the goods into Ireland...

Ireland eh!
    It's exactly the same rule in all of the EU. Sure nobody would pay any duty if all you had to do to avoid it was order from a different country.

In this instance, the company you buy from is obliged to sort out the paperwork and payment with Irish Revenue before sending out the wine. If they don't, and the parcel is stopped by Irish customs, you as the importer are liable for the duty before they'll release your goods. But if they've done everything properly then there'll be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

L1011 wrote: »
    No, pretty much every country in the world.

The other ones ban alcohol...

Ahem....
    http://spirits.eu/page.php?id=38&parent_id=8

Some charge far higher that others...
    Ireland is in the top 4 with Finland, UK and Sweeden...
    Unlike France, Germany, Spain who enjoy FAR lower excise rates.

Ireland eh!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ahem....
    http://spirits.eu/page.php?id=38&parent_id=8

Some charge far higher that others...
    Ireland is in the top 4 with Finland, UK and Sweeden...
    Unlike France, Germany, Spain who enjoy FAR lower excise rates.

Ireland eh!

You were complaining about countries ensuring alcohol was duty paid as if it was an Irish oddity.

Ireland has extremely low payroll taxation by international standards, that is made up for with higher consumption taxes. Complain to your politicians if you want that changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunno what the "ahem" is for, as though his statement was wrong. It's common knowledge we have high excise rates.

Some people have reported buying beer & wine online and it slipping through the net. Some have posted about being caught too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also worth noting that using Parcel Motel won't work for this. I've tried to do the shimmy where you get them sent from a UK supplier to PM in Belfast. And then get PM send them down south.

But Parcel Motel won't accept delivery of glass bottles, so that didn't work :(

seamus wrote: »
    But Parcel Motel won't accept delivery of glass bottles, so that didn't work :(
    They list glass & fragile items, but I have read of people getting jars of food.

They list alcohol & tobacco and that is first & foremost why it would be rejected. Just incase people read this and thought it would be OK to get cans or plastic bottles of spirits.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/terms/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've gotten shipments from Brewdog plenty of times through PM as recently as a month ago. Don't see myself buying much more if Sterling continues the way it is.

• Advertisement

I've gotten shipments from Brewdog plenty of times through PM as recently as a month ago.
    This was posted 1 month ago
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    I've gotten quite a bit from BrewDog over the last couple of years and Parcel Motel used to let the stuff through no bother, but they've really cracked down lately.

Advertisement