Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPA Kit Fail

Options
  • 15-08-2015 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all,

I stopped brewing for a while after my second kit was complete but decided to make another batch a while back and ordered the Craft Range IPA kit. My first 2 kit brews went really well but I think this has failed.
    I set up everything as standard and things were going well up until day 4 when I noticed a serious reduction in fermentation. I noticed that it took a while to get going in the beginning but was not worried. Its day 7 and I should be adding the hops tomorrow but there has not really been any sign of fermentation since day 4. I decided to take a reading today and it came back as 1.020 which is a lot higher then the 10 day target of 1.005 considering there is nothing happening now. Did I fail this time around?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It wouldn't be that unusual for most of the fermentation to be done in four days, and 1.020 is in the upper limit of what I'd accept as a final gravity from a kit. I'd keep going and decide after it's conditioned whether you want to drink it or not. Don't be afraid to give it an extra week or two in the fermenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CianSmyth

Great! All is not lost, sure i'll leave it longer and see how it goes. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Personally I wouldn't put 1.020 in the bottle. There's bound to be fermentables that could destroy your bottles. It'd try to rouse the yeast up a bit and check in another week. How's the temperature at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

What yeast does the kit use? Wasn't there a similar thread on here recently about the same kit? Maybe the yeast is a bit old.

Edit: Although 1.020 wouldn't be unusual after 7 days, id check it in another few days to see if its still going down. I usually don't even do a hydrometer reading for at least 14 days.

I think I'm going to leave it longer and see how it goes. It's has remained at a constant 22C. The yeast was in the Craft Range IPA kit, that is all I know unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

CianSmyth wrote: »
    I think I'm going to leave it longer and see how it goes. It's has remained at a constant 22C. The yeast was in the Craft Range IPA kit, that is all I know unfortunately.

Even check it tomorrow, should have dropped a bit by then. Out of curiosity I checked a beer I have on the go and after 8 days it is 1.012, og was 1.062, yeast was us-05. Are the yeast plain packed with the craft range?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Just yesterday I bottled a "craft Range" APA after 14 days in the fermenter. I witnessed the exact same pattern as you are seeing. Slo start, vigorous day 3/4/5 then slow again. No action in the air lock at all. When adding the hops at day 8 mine was just over 1.01 and very cloudy. I ploughed on hopefully anyway. Yesterday (day 14). It was a beautiful crystal clear Amber, just under 1.01
    Kept it at 20 to 22 C all the way through.
    Add the hops, and bring the temp up to 23. ( electric blanket wrapped round the vessel for 6 or 8 hours.). I'd say you'll be ok. That Craft range Kit I am assured by knowledgeable sources is a top quality kit.

Update:

Thanks for all the help! I decided to leave it for another week and it started bubbling again once I gave it a light shake. I checked today and it is down to 1.010 still not the 1.005 stated but a lot better, it's still going strong now so am debating whether to add the hops now or leave it longer.

No harm waiting a little longer.

BeerNut wrote: »
    No harm waiting a little longer.

I think I will. While I'm here I have another question. I don't know whether this matters but I had a taste of the sample I used for the reading and I know I haven't hopped yet and there is a lot of time to go but I could taste a very strong bitterness that was also in the last craft range irish stout kit I brewed. That taste stayed the whole way through that kit even after the bottles had been left for months. The taste is really similar and not too pleasant. Is this a normal taste for these kits or am I off somehow. Thanks

• Advertisement

No idea. Sounds like it might be. Maybe switch to a different brand, or move away from kit brewing altogether.

Hey, I left this till today to add my hops but when I opened the fermenter I could see a very thin white film covering the top. I think it has been infected. Is this okay or will I have to scrap the brew?

Thanks

Ummm. I don't recall seeing anything like that in mine. I added the hops on day 8. I barely opened the Los, and poked in the bag, and closed up immediately.
    Maybe you should not panic, and proceed to the bottling and re-evaluate the quality then. Also, taste it. It can't hurt to finish the process

Regarding the taste, you say it's bitter. This is hard to interpret. Many non beer drinkers don't drink real beer because they find it tastes bitter, or 'sharp', or just in general, they can't warm to the taste. I drank 4 of my "craft range APA" last night I enjoyed the taste. But yes, it was border-line bitter.
    What do you drink when you go out for a "few pints" ?
    Ummm... I see you said "strong bitterness." And you haven't even added the hops yet. Could be something wrong alright. How did you sterilise your fermentation vessel ?

I happen yo have a Microscope at home and had a quick look at the film. It appears its bacterial... About the bitterness I know what you mean but it tastes so bitter I can't get any other flavors. Yeah, I sanitized everything with ChemOxi and rinsed out as well.

Maybe its just not my time to brew...

Advertisement