Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good head

Options
  • 27-08-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Riddle me this.
    Why is it that - one day you will open a bottle of your favorite beer, and pour carefully into a clean glass, and the result is a perfectly formed head which lasts the full half hour and sits at the bottom of the glass when you're finished ? an other day you open a bottle of the same beer, and pour it carefully into a clean glass, and within 30 seconds to a minute, you are looking at a flat lifeless 2 day-old glass of lemonade.
    Is it the temperature ? is it the glass ? is it the beer ? is it the pour ?
    I can tell you for certain, its NOT lack of practice. Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

When I read that title, I had to investigate..

Misleading to say the least :pac:

Continue :

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

main culprit is the glass id say. if detergent from dish washer / oily from wash in sink or any residue left on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yep, probably dishwasher detergent. Or an uncultured pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Detergents as mentioned and any residual fats, like if milk was in the glass and it was only rinsed. Also if eating greasy food it can get in and ruin it.

There is a trend now for microetched glasses in pubs, which create a constant stream of bubbles. I hate them and often ask for a guinness glass instead. I usually get half pint glasses with bottles, I don't think any I got yet were microetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Poor fermentation control and infection will have an effect too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

oblivious wrote: »
    Poor fermentation control and infection will have an effect too

yeah but he's clearly on about commercially brewed beers - he's not expecting inconsistency, so must be drinking a fairly established brand - be it macro or craft - example if a new brewery launches I might not be surprised that two bottles pour differently, but if I open a Trouble Brewing or an O'Hara's I'd expect a consistent pour from one bottle to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

yes. Commercially brewed quality beer. e.g. Fullers IPA / London Pride, or McGargels IPA, or e.g 12th Centuary Ale, or Galway hooker ... all good beers, but inconsistant once poured. Ill try doing a pure (detergent-less ) glass washing and see if that improves things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I think it's to do with the temperature of the beer. The colder the beer the less likely it is to maintain a head, were as a warmer beer has good head retention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I believe the position of the moon in relation to Venus can also be a factor, as can the tides.

Advertisement