Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I need friends!

Options
  • 16-07-2011 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hows it goin lads?
    I've got a bit of a problem. Basically, all my male friends have either moved abroad or are starting families or something and I'm left without any to hang around with, have a laugh or a chat with. I have some female friends but its not really the same sometimes. Its been getting to me lately. I have a good life, a loving girlfriend but I find myself very down because I need "man time". In a totally hetero way, of course;). Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Quagmire11 wrote: »
    Hows it goin lads?
    I've got a bit of a problem. Basically, all my male friends have either moved abroad or are starting families or something and I'm left without any to hang around with, have a laugh or a chat with. I have some female friends but its not really the same sometimes. Its been getting to me lately. I have a good life, a loving girlfriend but I find myself very down because I need "man time". In a totally hetero way, of course;). Any advice?

Thats me out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Join a club/football team or something? Then get in the mix with all the lads there and make new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Quagmire11

I've never been in a club or anything like that. I wouldn't even know where to start. Any suggestions? I love football (watching, not playing), MMA, TV and Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I've never been in a club or anything like that. I wouldn't even know where to start. Any suggestions? I love football (watching, not playing), MMA, TV and Music.

Nice choice

I saw a documentary on this subject before:

Haha. I love that film. I kinda feel like that guy except I'm slightly more masculine. :D

• Advertisement

Haha. I love that film. I kinda feel like that guy except I'm slightly more masculine. :D

How old are you? Where do you live?

Since you like MMA, why not join an MMA gym? or do some BJJ or something?

I'm 26. Living in Waterford. I've thought about doin BJJ but to be honest I'd say I'd be fairly rubbish at it. I'm not the most athletic of fellas.

I'm 26. Living in Waterford. I've thought about doin BJJ but to be honest I'd say I'd be fairly rubbish at it. I'm not the most athletic of fellas.

That's the point of BJJ though. To give the non-athletic the upper hand over those more gived in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I started BJJ weighing 24 stone, was a round lump of a nerd who had never any athletic prowess at all. Loved it and lost 9 stone and also made some really good friends while doing it, met some of the nicest and most interesting friends from all walks of life in my club so don't let anything stop you from signing up.

Also even after 2 years of doing it I am still crap at it but love it so just do it man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Are you working?,if you are why not head out on a Friday with a few fellas after work for a few drinks.

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    I started BJJ weighing 24 stone, was a round lump of a nerd who had never any athletic prowess at all. Loved it and lost 9 stone and also made some really good friends while doing it, met some of the nicest and most interesting friends from all walks of life in my club so don't let anything stop you from signing up.

Also even after 2 years of doing it I am still crap at it but love it so just do it man!

9 Stone in 2 years? Congratulations.

You didn't have an undetected Siamese Twin on your back the whole time did you?

Thanks Maguined,
    Congrats on the weight loss, thats unreal. Fair play to ya. I definitely am gonna look into joining. Now if only there was a club that involved sittin around playin xbox and drinkin, I'd defo be up for that. :D

Thanks Maguined,
    Congrats on the weight loss, thats unreal. Fair play to ya. I definitely am gonna look into joining. Now if only there was a club that involved sittin around playin xbox and drinkin, I'd defo be up for that. :D

Its called xbox live :D

Haha, good stuff tallaghtmick,
    Real people though, not bloodthirsty american teenagers. Did you ever notice how most of the guys who actually talk on xbox live are usually a**holes. all the sound people are probably just listening thinkin "these guys are such a**holes".:D

Real people though, not bloodthirsty american teenagers. Did you ever notice how most of the guys who actually talk on xbox live are usually a**holes. all the sound people are probably just listening thinkin "these guys are such a**holes".:D

Funnily enough i rarely play the 360 and even less rarely go online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SJM

I think there is a difficulty and a lack of resources for men to make new friends. If your not into sports or drinking the options are very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Thats just COD players. They tend to be a shower of d1cks alright.

SJM wrote: »
    I think there is a difficulty and a lack of resources for men to make new friends. If your not into sports or drinking the options are very limited.
    Yeah totally agree with you SJM. It seems like options are majorly limited and I feel like a plank even talking about it with my female friends. I'm a fairly decent guy, with a good sense of humour and broad interests and yet it seems that its almost impossible to "make friends". Most of my friends are from school or work from years back. How do you make new friends? It just seems like if you try too hard, then your in a forced situation and that makes me feel immediately uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Hows it goin lads?
    did you ask any of these friends?
    Peter_Griffin.png

Cleveland_Brown.png

190px-Joe_Swanson.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Waterford have a decent mma club.

What games do you play on xbox? I play with a regular bunch of sound gamers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

What does MMA and BJJ mean?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Basically, all my male friends...are starting families
    are married guys with kids not allowed to have friends anymore?

happened to me when i got married: everyone moved away "sure you're a married guy now" and all the bull ye know, but luckily i got new friends and left the old "mates" behind.

as the lads say, join the club, find yourself an outdoor hobby or stay on boards long enough.

and don't push it, usually people can sense it from miles away and mostly find it pathetic - even if they won't say it straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Colin4May

Thats me out :mad:

Why? Are you so unsure of your feminine side that you feel you may be turned? Lol! Only joking, mate:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Winterly

Hello, everyone. It is my first time to join in here. Nice to meet you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Hows it goin lads?
    you like watching football,then go to a pub that has it on,you will soon meet new friends,or even better go and join a darts team near you,darts will be the next big thing in ireland,it always worked for me in the UK,and in this day and age you dont have to drink beer in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

stek wrote: »
    What does MMA and BJJ mean?
    Thanks

Mixed Martial Arts and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dipper.meath16

Well Quagmire11.. Slowly but surly the same happining round home, lads headin abroad, however i play alot of sports so i have a few lads and team mates around.. I think you should, and i mean this in the nicest possible way, stop playing the xbox and go out?? like there is loads of tag rugby teams poppin up al over the country and i know a few playin it, they do have savage craic! plus its mixed so you could bring your missus along so you dont feel as akward?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Well Quagmire11.. Slowly but surly the same happining round home, lads headin abroad, however i play alot of sports so i have a few lads and team mates around.. I think you should, and i mean this in the nicest possible way, stop playing the xbox and go out?? like there is loads of tag rugby teams poppin up al over the country and i know a few playin it, they do have savage craic! plus its mixed so you could bring your missus along so you dont feel as akward?!

Ah the age old attitude of gamers have no real friends, I won't mention about me an my xbox clan going away for the weekend last week and going paintballing and stuff

Colin4May wrote: »
    Why? Are you so unsure of your feminine side that you feel you may be turned? Lol! Only joking, mate:)

It was actually a way of saying i was in for the ghey stuff :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dipper.meath16

Ah the age old attitude of gamers have no real friends, I won't mention about me an my xbox clan going away for the weekend last week and going paintballing and stuff

No no, dont get me wrong, i have an xbox myself!! hence why i said i ment it in the nicest way possible!!
    See you went out paintballing ect!! thats along the lines of what i ment, i was putting the suggestion of tag rugby as a way to meet new people outside of xbox live.. see you picked up on the one line that was ment is the most non offensive way possible.

Advertisement