Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

SpaceTime wrote: »
    There's a trend towards that super stark LED inspired lighting in retail at the moment. I find it very annoying.
    It helps visually impaired to navigate around obstacles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its also very cheap to run and maintain which I imagine is pretty high on the reason list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

Topaz to start build on two new Stations.
    One at Clonshaugh Dublin M50/M1/n32 junction near Bewleys.

Other on M8 Jn 3 ( Abbeyleix )

planning is on Laois co co, ref 1497.
    Location is Ballycolla at Manor Stone.

the following only works for me on int explorer ( Site Layout )

http://www.laois.ie/idocs/djvu.aspx?file=461608.djvu

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Never understood Services being built on toll roads. Surely the purpose of the tolled section is to get where you want faster. If i had time to stop for a coffee, id probably drive through Enfield/Kinnegad en route M4 to Dublin. Same for Abbeyleix M8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

rameire wrote: »

theres an article here from a few years back on the initial announcement
    http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/local-news/jobs-promise-at-ballacolla-motorway-stop-1-2049137

And here again last year on the planning application being made for the 2 developments.
    http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/business/topaz-4m-boost-to-deliver-motorway-jobs-1-5562296

it was expected then that it would take about 6 or 7 months to complete once started.

They mention "Our site at Cashel has been extremely successful and we expect these new sites to be likewise."
    Which begs the question, do they not know that the parking situation in Cashel is chronic and putting off potential customers.
    I'd actually expect Ballycolla to be no better (and it'll probably still win "forcourt of the year" prize seeing as lack of parking in a car driven development seems not to be a criteria)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

rameire wrote: »

the following only works for me on int explorer ( Site Layout )

http://www.laois.ie/idocs/djvu.aspx?file=461608.djvu

Are they about to physically start the construction or did they just finalized the paperwork?

I think station on the M8 is in perfect location, almost mid way between Dublin and Cork.

I can actually answer myself.

http://www.topaz.ie/about-us/news-and-media/2014/Topaz-to-create-110-full-time-jobs-in-New-Year-wit.aspx

It seems that both stations are under construction and due to open in January

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Geogregor wrote: »
    Is it marked somehow on the M7 itself?
    How about the one in Monasterevin, right off the junction 14 on M7?

If they fulfil all the criteria of motorway service areas they should be signed online.
    If they are, could anyone post images of the signs in the mainline?

Geogregor,

Here's a typical sign, taken on the N11 just before Cullenmore (offline) services at the Coyne's Cross exit. Not actually on a motorway, but the signage is the same.

15619883320_4903e3d47c_c.jpgOffline Services sign by csd75, on Flickr

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I don't this is great signage by any means, most exit signs have similar markings eventhough there is no dedicated motorway stop on the exit. I think a motorway service area should have an overhead sign to have more emphasis on it.

csd wrote: »
    Geogregor,

Here's a typical sign, taken on the N11 just before Cullenmore (offline) services at the Coyne's Cross exit. Not actually on a motorway, but the signage is the same.

15619883320_4903e3d47c_c.jpgOffline Services sign by csd75, on Flickr

/csd

Thanks.
    It looks actually much more prominent than I expected.
    I was expecting something like in the US, a sign with small shields listening services at given exit.

It is a really grand sign ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks.
    It looks actually much more prominent than I expected.
    I was expecting something like in the US, a sign with small shields listening services at given exit.

It is a really grand sign ;)

The thing I really dislike about those brown signs is that they don't give any indication of just how far off the motorway you'll have to travel once you exit. Several times I've been caught by a filling station sign only to end up travelling 15-20km off the road to find fuel.

hardCopy wrote: »
    The thing I really dislike about those brown signs is that they don't give any indication of just how far off the motorway you'll have to travel once you exit. Several times I've been caught by a filling station sign only to end up travelling 15-20km off the road to find fuel.
    indeed, if the signs which are there cannot be relied on, why on earth should someone not be expected to just pull over and go for a pee or dump on the side of the road.

And i dont mean those of us who know its a deadly dangerous thing to do, but for others who are less convinced of the dangers of hard shoulders on motorways, it'd be a logical step to take.

If the NRA cannot provide, or sign, toilets then to many the only option is to be self sufficient.

hardCopy wrote: »

Isn't there any official policy spelling out how close such offline services have to be to signed on the motorway?
    I would expect 1-2km distance a maximum which should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

BTW, the Applegreen at Birdhill now has Wifi.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There was wifi there too when I was there 2 weeks ago. Definately needed there as the only coverage (Vodafone anyway) is 2G

Isn't there any official policy spelling out how close such offline services have to be to signed on the motorway?
    I would expect 1-2km distance a maximum which should be allowed.
    the policy is that any offline services at a "close proximity" with suitable facilities and parking and HGV area will be considered and signed as per an official rest area (so M7 Mayfield is listed as ok, M8 Cashel substandard but potential to be improved and recognised as a viable stop)
    http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/service-areas/NRA-Service-Area-Policy-FinalAugust2014-(2).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

"Pat McDonagh, founder and managing director of Supermac’s has applied to Clare County Council in relation to establishing a major motorway service and rest area. The proposed location is on Junction 12 of the M18 at Kilbreckan, Doora." ~ Clare Herald

Not surprised. I'd say Obama Plaza is a goldmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Are they about to physically start the construction or did they just finalized the paperwork?

I think station on the M8 is in perfect location, almost mid way between Dublin and Cork.

Construction proceeding at pace on the M8 one.... forecourt shell is up.

Sadly, as we all suspected, its small (from what I can see passing on the M8). It looks to be the same blueprints as Cashel, certainly the same number/size of buildings. Too early to see what parking would be like.

Visited the m11 j14 station at Cullenmore (ashford) Wicklow and it's 100%.
    Car park / signage spot on and ample spaces. Trucks siphoned off to a separate part of the site for fueling and parking. (Translation, polar opposite of the kip which is cashel, which I also had the pleasure to visit over Christmas)
    Internally seems very similar to the official NRA applegreen sites and it was doing a good trade which isn't surprising seeing as it serves both directions, but still plenty of space.

The only criticism of the place would be the signage on the motorway which should more clearly distinguish between proper services a rather than just junctions with a petrol station somewhere within an 15km range, which really shouldn't be signed in the first place.
    And in general, there's so many junctions "with petrol stations" that it's hard to know which are a viable non official offline option and which are just a sop to local politicians and businessmen.

Visited the m11 j14 station at Cullenmore (ashford) Wicklow and it's 100%.
    Car park / signage spot on and ample spaces. Trucks siphoned off to a separate part of the site for fueling and parking. (Translation, polar opposite of the kip which is cashel, which I also had the pleasure to visit over Christmas)
    Internally seems very similar to the official NRA applegreen sites and it was doing a good trade which isn't surprising seeing as it serves both directions, but still plenty of space.

The only criticism of the place would be the signage on the motorway which should more clearly distinguish between proper services a rather than just junctions with a petrol station somewhere within an 15km range, which really shouldn't be signed in the first place.
    And in general, there's so many junctions "with petrol stations" that it's hard to know which are a viable non official offline option and which are just a sop to local politicians and businessmen.

The new station on the Gorey bi pass is going to have a big ass overhead signage because it's a public sponsored build. This is a private enterprise so probably not of been allowed this signage.
    On another point which I posted earlier, they used common sense using a junction already there unlike the Gorey bi pass where they've chosen probably the most expensive option possible - new bridge, exits etc. All at our(the tax payer) expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

On another point which I posted earlier, they used common sense using a junction already there unlike the Gorey bi pass where they've chosen probably the most expensive option possible - new bridge, exits etc. All at our(the tax payer) expense.

Online Motorway Services are the best options where possible - you don't have motorway traffic and local traffic mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

jd wrote: »
    Online Motorway Services are the best options where possible - you don't have motorway traffic and local traffic mixing.

What harm can local traffic do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

flazio wrote: »
    It's more the addition of HGVs etc on to the local road network. It's a shame the Service Areas could not have been built when the motorways were built.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The junction at Cullenmore might as well have been built for the services, it's hardly used by anyone else. The only notable thing in Cullenmore was the hotel, which was already closed when the road was built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

flazio wrote: »

You have granny O'Dwyer from up the road who has never brought her Micra on a national road never mind a motorway heading down to this 'fine new specimen' of a store called green apples or something to that effect.
    And when she heads back home she takes a wrong turn because them road signs are 'for the young folk with the good eyesight'
    Low and behold granny O'Dwyer is travelling northbound on a southbound carriageway of a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

D Trent wrote: »
    You have granny O'Dwyer from up the road who has never brought her Micra on a national road never mind a motorway heading down to this 'fine new specimen' of a store called green apples or something to that effect.
    And when she heads back home she takes a wrong turn because them road signs are 'for the young folk with the good eyesight'
    Low and behold granny O'Dwyer is travelling northbound on a southbound carriageway of a motorway
    Mrs O'Dwyer can't travel northbound on a southbound carriageway of a motorway, because there isn't one. Its a DC to Newtownmountkennedy, the old road is obliterated by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Mrs O'Dwyer can't travel northbound on a southbound carriageway of a motorway, because there isn't one. Its a DC to Newtownmountkennedy, the old road is obliterated by this.

Just as dangerous going the wrong way on a DC, especially one sandwiched between Motorways where many cars do push the limit a bit.

This is absolutely stupid explanation. Granny O'Dwyer has the same chance of driving wrong way up the motorway on junction with MSA or without.
    Off-line MSA are just attached to existing junctions which according to your line of thinking should be confusing scores old folks on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Granny O'Dwyer needs her licence taken off her, and her doctor needs to have his ability to issue medical certs for driving removed from him for not having the balls to deny people.

And this needs to be done due to proper policing in the first place, not after an incident.

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »

Don't see the issue here. The M11 service areas are not exactly getting Red Cow junction volumes of traffic.

Advertisement