Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food you thought you didn't like

Options
  • 16-01-2007 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

I'd say I'm quite adventurous with food, especially foreign food, I'll try anything once. But in the last year or so I've discovered that I actually really like some basic foods that I've been swearing blind for the past 24 years I don't like but had never actually eaten.

Here they are

Peaches - I think it was the fact that they feel a bit furry put me off, ate one a few weeks ago and haven't been able to get enough of them.

Cherries - I hate that fake cherry taste in sweets and the ones in Black Forest Gateux are a bit manky but it turns out I actually really like fresh ones.

Branston pickle - Not sure if I convinced myself I had tasted it & didn't like it but I was sure I hated it. Actually had it for the first time a few months ago and now it drives me mad that I can't get it in Australia.

Anyone else have any similar experiences?
    Might give me a few ideas for other things I haven't tried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Green olives.
    I hated green olives after just tasting one once. While travelling I used to get pizza slices every week at a place in Ashkelon. I just pointed at the particular slice I wanted since the owner didn't have English. It was a slice with loads of sundried tomatoes, strong cheese and mushrooms, always sitting at the same place behind the counter. Anyway, I must have had 10-15 slices during my stay and one day the place where I point to for a slice was empty.
    This time there was another fella there and I says:
    "Hi, I want a slice of the pizza that usually sits there", pointing. He goes, "the olive pizza?" I says, "no with mushrooms" and he says "that pizza has green olives, not mushrooms". Ever since then I decided that I like green olives :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Had some mango chutney the other day and was very pleasantly surprised. Not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Somehow, I made it through 32 winters without ever tasting a Brussels sprout. I finally decided to give them a try this christmas and they were amazing!

I don't understand why they get such a bad rep because they taste really good.

cozmik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Had some mango chutney the other day and was very pleasantly surprised. Not bad at all.

mmm mango chutney is gorgeous cooked in the oven with chicken fillets and served with rice
    *nyoms*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

As a kid, I strongly disliked the taste and smell any kind of tomato soup or tomato based cooking sauce (although I loved raw tomatoes and tomato juice for some weird reason). Having got braver with age and tried it again I'm quite fond of tomato soup now and don't mind cooked tomatoes in various dishes but I don't think I will ever like ketchup. I also wasn't pushed about peanut butter or mayo in my younger days but I love both now (although not at the same time!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Mayonnaise
    Bombay Mix
    Chicken Tikka and curry in general
    Onion Rings crisps
    Peppers, when they're crunchy in a stir fry or raw.

I'm going to Kenya this summer and can't wait to try the mad food they have over there like zebra n crocodile and ostrich.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Guess_Who wrote:
    Branston pickle - Not sure if I convinced myself I had tasted it & didn't like it but I was sure I hated it. Actually had it for the first time a few months ago and now it drives me mad that I can't get it in Australia.
    Really?

I'm sure I came across in my local Safeway in Camberwell.

I used to dislike Brennans Batch Loaf when I was a kid. To me it was always a daddy bread. Now I wish I could get my hands on some real Irish batch bread or turnover loaf because the bread in Australia is nowhere near as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Coleslaw, have never eaten it until this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Onions. I would refuse to touch them cooked or raw. Now I love them and want them in all my cooking. Nothing quite as good as the smell of mince and onions cooking. Mmm... Still wouldn't touch them raw. So sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

stuffing
    gravy
    most veg
    celery..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Green peppers on pizza - used to hate it, now don't mind it (but wouldn't be ordering it ordinarily). Don't eat them apart from that.

Tomatoes - Used to hate them, now like them once they're sliced up and are with something else.

Still absolutely hate mushrooms, despite having tried them a number of times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have bought and eaten almost every part of a pig - nose to tail including the squeal. Sheep offal, beef bits and the chunks of a chicken that usually end up on the scrap heap all hold no fear for me. If it walks, crawls, slithers or flys I will try it.

Except brains.

Now you don't see a lot of brains. With good reason - no big demand. But I have seen recipes for brains in a couple of contemporary cook books.

Filtration organs are delicious. Steak and kidney pie, a delicate slice of calves liver cooked pink with sage leaves, chicken liver pate, sweatbreabs with a crumb crust......

Why would anyone want to eat the thinking organ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Mayonnaise, and sweetcorn. Now I rarely have a sandwich without either of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

i never liked it and so became veggie, then after a few years i started to rat the odd bit if i didn't like the veg option on a menu or if i was a dinner guest to be polite. over tinme i have grown to love steak etc and am now hungry thinking bout it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Lettuce
    Cranberry Juice
    Special K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

It has been said that your taste changes as you grow older, tastebuds die and you become more receptive to certain foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I_and_I wrote:
    It has been said that your taste changes as you grow older, tastebuds die and you become more receptive to certain foods.
    That makes sense I suppose. However, I'm sure impressions that were gained when you were younger (regarding food), would have an influence. I mean, no matter how much my taste buds may die, I'll still never eat mushrooms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mushrooms are funny... I like the taste, but I can't stand the texture. So, I'll eat liquidised mushroom soup, but I wouldn't touch it if there was big mushrooms floating around in it.

I recently discovered that I like mozzarella.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Used to hate Feta and Goat's Cheese and now I can't get enough!!
    Now my fav pizza is Quattro Formaggio with Feta as one of the cheese.... mmmm I miss Scoozi's in Cork :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

rb_ie wrote:
    That makes sense I suppose. However, I'm sure impressions that were gained when you were younger (regarding food), would have an influence. I mean, no matter how much my taste buds may die, I'll still never eat mushrooms.

I definately agree with you on that front, I had a bad experience with banana when I was much younger (ate one that was very mushy) and since then even though I love the taste of bananas I can't get over the texture of even the freshest ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Beetroot! mmmmm! love it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I always disliked the chocolates left over at the end of a box of roses, you know the one with the blue wrapper with the roses on it and the ones like half a barrel and the other one with the orangy wrappy. But out of boredom and hunger one day I broke my life long taboo and ate them and they were great, now I walk with my head held high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Archeron

Although this may not be the fully correct forum, I vote for Brocolli. I used to think satan himself scraped this veggie from between his toes, but I've taken to eating it raw lately as a snack. I suppose its better than Penguin Cake Bars which is what its replaced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

GreenHell wrote:
    I always disliked the chocolates left over at the end of a box of roses, you know the one with the blue wrapper with the roses on it and the ones like half a barrel and the other one with the orangy wrappy. But out of boredom and hunger one day I broke my life long taboo and ate them and they were great, now I walk with my head held high.

They're my favourites! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

my mum has made paradise slices (a shortcrust pastry base, brushed with jam, then sprinkled liberally with walnuts, sultanas, glacé cherries and a covered with victoria sandwich mixture) for years and when i was little i thought they were the most disgusting things in the world. but i tried them again recently and i've completely changed my mind and can't get enough of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Faith wrote:
    They're my favourites! :eek:

Mine too! They're always the first ones to go in my house. It's always coffee and orange flavours that are left over. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i used to HATE mushrooms, wouldn't eat anything that tasted in any way like it was made using mushrooms, now i actually really like them, especially garlic mushrooms!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Frogs legs, for so long I avoided them and last week I tried them. They taste fine, just depends how they are prepared. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ruu wrote:
    Frogs legs, for so long I avoided them and last week I tried them. They taste fine, just depends how they are prepared. :)

Kermit frowns in your general direction Ruu!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not anymore he doesn't. *chew*

Advertisement