Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ Sports Awards shortlist revealed

• 08-12-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/2011/1208/awards.html

One nomination on that list I simply cannot get.. Robbie Keane? :confused: Don't get me wrong, he is a great servant/player/goalscorer to Irish football. But his nomination is unworthy, where is Richard Dunne & Shay Given?

Plain lazy selection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

7 goals in 11 qualifiers isn't too bad for a striker, especially one in this team. That said Dunne was our star player over the campaign and should be first call. Given is ho-hum and has made a few embarrassing errors already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Once again, Robbie Keane's contribution to the Irish Team is taken for granted.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Once again, Robbie Keane's contribution to the Irish Team is taken for granted.

See him get injured or something on the run up and you'll see the doom and gloom spread from his absence. He's appreciated by most Irish fans I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Terrific record in these qualifiers, and also won the MLS cup with Galaxy. Whatever about others exclusions, his inclusion is definitely justifiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

aramush wrote: »

One nomination on that list I simply cannot get.. Robbie Keane? :confused: Don't get me wrong, he is a great servant/player/goalscorer to Irish football. But his nomination is unworthy, where is Richard Dunne & Shay Given?

Plain lazy selection.

Keane is a lot more worthy than Shay Given IMO. Shay's been declining rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the dublin football team will probably get the team award though it should be the irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They will give the gah a token award.

I'd go for Leinster for team of the year. Trap coach of the year for getting those players to a tournament. Can't decide on a sportsperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Plain lazy selection.

Well it has been a few weeks so I guess we were due a Robbie Keane bashing thread :rolleyes:

For what it's worth:

8 goals in 10 international appearances for 2011, including 5 qualifying goals. Yep.. unworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The Dunne phenomenon is purely based on the Russia game yeah? Keane was by far our most important player over the course of the qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When he retires, Keane will be missed more than we've ever missed a player. Until then, people will continue to take him for granted.

• Advertisement

Keane will be second highest scorer of all players at Euro 2012. Can't help thinking that if he had the German national team around him that'd he'd even be ahead of Klose's total by now too.

When he retires, Keane will be missed more than we've ever missed a player. Until then, people will continue to take him for granted.

Indeed. From an Irish point of view - the man scores goals and plays with passion. He has his faults (poor in 1 on 1's with time to think, sometimes plays like he forgets he doesn't have pace), but every player has his faults.

Robbie should genuinely be the first name on the teamsheet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Whilst is pains me to say it, Shamrock Rovers should win the team award. They made history doing something an Irish side hadn't done before. Irish rugby has done fantastic in Europe in recent years so that dilutes Leinster's performance a bit IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't know a huge amount about her but Katie Taylor seems the best choice to me. She seems to be dominating her sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Keane our most important player during the qualifiers? Considering he alone almost blew our chances of making the Euros, missing score able opportunities against Slovakia home and away, not to mention the first outing against Armenia, things could have been a lot different.

As for me basing Dunnes selection on the Russia performance? What planet are you on, hes been our leader and chief organiser at the back for the last few years, never put a foot wrong and in my opinion, a better captain.

Richard Dunne selection is more justifiable than Keane and in my opinion, without Given and Dunne, we wouldn't be off to the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Keane our most important player during the qualifiers? Considering he alone almost blew our chances of making the Euros, missing score able opportunities against Slovakia home and away, not to mention the first outing against Armenia, things could have been a lot different.

As for me basing Dunnes selection on the Russia performance? What planet are you on, hes been our leader and chief organiser at the back for the last few years, never put a foot wrong and in my opinion, a better captain.

Richard Dunne selection is more justifiable than Keane and in my opinion, without Given and Dunne, we wouldn't be off to the Euros.

Hello, Roy Curtis :pac:

Hello, Roy Curtis :pac:

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Sorry what? Were you asleep for the 7 goals he scored? He is our main goal scorer. Therefore all logic indicates he is vital to the team.

He is a striker. Strikers will miss chances. Pele missed chances. Muller missed chances. The two best players in the world (Messi and Ronaldo) miss chances. Highlighting some missed chances is not evidence of how "he alone almost blew our chances" of qualifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Who?

You're a journalist, you know well who he is, no?

Sorry what? Were you asleep for the 7 goals he scored? He is our main goal scorer. Therefore all logic indicates he is vital to the team.

He is a striker. Strikers will miss chances. Pele missed chances. Muller missed chances. The two best players in the world (Messi and Ronaldo) miss chances. Highlighting some missed chances is not evidence of how "he alone almost blew out chances."

Penalties and tap ins, that is all. Suppose he did a little bit against Macedonia away but apart from that.. We will manage fine without him :)
    flahavaj wrote: »
    You're a journalist, you know well who he is, no?
    I do, but I'm too embarrassed to be associated with him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shame Rovers end up having to compete with other teams that had an historic year. Either would probably get it on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »
    Shame Rovers end up having to compete with Dublin and Ireland in whatt was a historic year for all three.

Lack of Rovers player in the 1st list a bit shít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Surely McIlroy is walking the individual competition anyways..

Shams should be in with a good shout but the LOI rarely gets recognition at an event like this. Bit of a joke if the Dublin Gah team takes it.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Shame Rovers end up having to compete with Dublin and Ireland in whatt was a historic year for all three.

Lack of Rovers player in the 1st list a bit shít

A LOI team got nominated in the same awards as The Dubs and Sir Robbie. Be thankful for small miracles.

Been an epic sporting year in general in fairness so even being nominated is a fair achievement.

Alright on a closing note (as I will not be drawn on this issue for forever more)

Keanes 7 goals for Ireland this campaign:
    1. Andorra at home (I mean.. Andorra)
    2. Russia (Penalty..yawn)
    3. Macedonia ( Tap in, nearly killed the keeper in the process)
    4. Macedonia ( Hail Mary of a shot, took a deflection and went in somehow)
    5. Macedonia ( Latched onto an outrageous mistake from opposing defender, had to score)
    6. Estonia ( You guessed it.. another Keane special of late, a tap in)
    7. Estonia ( Surely something else, no wait.. another penalty when the game was as good as over)

I'm confident any other striker would have done that, if they had played ahead of Keane thus meaning we wouldn't miss him that much. When is the last time we seen some individual genius from the man? If he spent less time flapping his hands at the ref every time one of our players goes down we'd be better off as well.

Anyway, good night ladies ;)

I wasn't aware that tapped in goals didn't count in football.

I wasn't aware that tapped in goals didn't count in football.

Ian Rush must have been a figment of my imagination for all those years in that case.

If you heard somebody saying a goalkeeper was crap because OK, he made loads of saves but not many spectacular ones, you'd rightly think it silly.

• Advertisement

Its a retarded point that dismisses the careers of some of the greatest strikers ever in one fell swoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its a retarded point that dismisses the careers of some of the greatest strikers ever in one fell swoop.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you or has a different opinion doesn't make him retarded, welcome to the world of discussion.

Robbie Keane has done more for this country than any other footballer ever has or ever will.
    Don't dismiss his achievements.

When he retires we'll miss him hugely.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Just because someone doesn't agree with you or has a different opinion doesn't make him retarded, welcome to the world of discussion.
    He may not be retarded. His opinion certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Robbie, Trap & Rovers would be my choice. Wouldn't be surprised if the dublin footballers won team of the year though :rolleyes:

Alright on a closing note (as I will not be drawn on this issue for forever more)

Keanes 7 goals for Ireland this campaign:
    1. Andorra at home (I mean.. Andorra)
    2. Russia (Penalty..yawn)
    3. Macedonia ( Tap in, nearly killed the keeper in the process)
    4. Macedonia ( Hail Mary of a shot, took a deflection and went in somehow)
    5. Macedonia ( Latched onto an outrageous mistake from opposing defender, had to score)
    6. Estonia ( You guessed it.. another Keane special of late, a tap in)
    7. Estonia ( Surely something else, no wait.. another penalty when the game was as good as over)

I'm confident any other striker would have done that, if they had played ahead of Keane thus meaning we wouldn't miss him that much. When is the last time we seen some individual genius from the man? If he spent less time flapping his hands at the ref every time one of our players goes down we'd be better off as well.

Anyway, good night ladies ;)
    Thats a bit of an insane point. He's a striker. 90% of the job is actually being in the right place for that chance to fall to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Fair play to Robbie for getting nominated, he deserves it. It's a pretty impressive short list. I think one of the golfers will win it and the soccer team will win the team award. Anyone other than Trap getting the manager's award would be a travesty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tap-ins shouldn't count, sure everybody knows anticipation and positioning are the two easiest aspects of playing football. It's not like Pippo Inzaghi is actually paid to do his job, is it?

Long - Doyle against Croatia anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

We'll mark the corner flags out of the game!

Can Pat Dolan take Duffs place and Mick Wallace go in goal?
    565777.jpg

• Advertisement

If we have any aspirations of not disgracing ourselves at the European Championships, Keane simply cannot start.

Long - Doyle for the win, and less of the smart arseyness ;)

Long still isn't a patch on Robbie. Himself and Doyle together would achieve nothing.

If we have any aspirations of being European champions there are a lot of players we need to replace before Keane. Whelan and Andrews being the first two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I never understood the Keane bashing to be honest!

Rank|Name|Goals|(Caps)
    1|Robbie Keane|53|(114)
    2|Niall Quinn|21|(91)
    3|Frank Stapleton|20|(71)
    4|Don Givens|19|(56)
    4|Tony Cascarino|19|(88)
    4|John Aldridge|19|(69)
    7|Noel Cantwell|14|(36)
    8|Gerry Daly|13|(48)
    8|Jimmy Dunne|13|(15)
    10|Ian Harte|11|(64)

Speaks volumes, absolute legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Mc Ilroy for individual, Leinster for team.

There is no denying Keane was a great player, probably our best but he is past it now.

Advertisement