Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Kind of surprising that Mr Photographer guy didn seem to know what the caller was talking about with regard to editing phones on the iPhone.... Some interesting stuff all the same... I cringe at Marion's questions though, she makes George Hook look like Bill Gates at times.

Is this really happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

WTF :confused:

I turned on after Marian was hopefully finished with that awful Maureen Gaffney (she'd put me into a depression, never mind curing it) - to hopefully hear a review of the year, or some news, or something - and I hear a politician warbling? And worse, a feckin Johnny Logan song???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Off to Lyric with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

So you save yourself the bother of listening, and have more time for Christmas shopping.
    What ,and deprive you of the opportunity for a sarcastic comment ? , sure my weekend wouldn't be the same without a comment like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Today's guests

A political correspondent
    A 'comedian'
    A management consultant
    A novelist
    And a yank

Today's guests

A 'comedian'
    A management consultant
    A novelist
    And a yank

And this craic of filling the studio full of people, then interview somebody 100 miles away on a bad phone line... I really dont understand why she does that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Today's guests

A 'comedian'
    A management consultant
    A novelist
    And a yank
    Is there anything wrong with such a mix? They are all at least moderately intelligent, informed on some of the issues, and capable of discussing things in a well-mannered way - no talking people down, few interruptions. And I find myself agreeing with some of what is said, and disagreeing with other things. So the discussion engages me. I think it is a fairly decent panel today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Is there anything wrong with such a mix? They are all at least moderately intelligent, informed on some of the issues, and capable of discussing things in a well-mannered way - no talking people down, few interruptions. And I find myself agreeing with some of what is said, and disagreeing with other things. So the discussion engages me. I think it is a fairly decent panel today.

It's very bland though

Is there anything wrong with such a mix? ......

I never said there was.

We can add the expert security expert analyst expert Declan Power to the list now too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"Y'know".

Y'know this y'know word y'know is making the show y'know unlistenable. Y'know?

I never said there was....
    I didn't say you said... [We could go down a rabbit hole with this!]
    Callan57 wrote: »
    It's very bland though
    'Tis a bit. But it is Sunday morning. If you want rows on the radio, you should listen to The Late Debate.

I didn't say you said... [We could go down a rabbit hole with this!]

'Tis a bit. But it is Sunday morning. If you want rows on the radio, you should listen to The Late Debate.

Running down the clock, I reckon

How does she manage to get the guests names wrong every week?

How does she manage to get the guests names wrong every week?
    I hardly ever notice that. I have a mental filter that screens out most of what Marian says. It makes the programme easier for me to listen to.

I thought I recognized yer man Colm O'Regan's voice.. I think he's the guy that does the voiceover on the advert for one of the banks saying "because we're not experts in baking, we'll give you the money" or something similar..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I thought I recognized yer man Colm O'Regan's voice.. I think he's the guy that does the voiceover on the advert for one of the banks saying "because we're not experts in baking, we'll give you the money" or something similar..

Yesterday's Loan - Today.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

RayM wrote: »
    I would rather be unemployed for my entire life than lower myself to being interviewed by a cretin like that.

Thank you - couldn't agree more. What an absolute arse. This is what is wrong with the whole recruitment industry - populated by arrogant ****wits like him who could not get a real job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    WTF :confused:

I turned on after Marian was hopefully finished with that awful Maureen Gaffney (she'd put me into a depression, never mind curing it) - to hopefully hear a review of the year, or some news, or something - and I hear a politician warbling? And worse, a feckin Johnny Logan song???

Maureen Gaffney said 'as it were' 17 times in her 15 minute slot. That's 68 'as it weres' per hour.
    Surely that's 3 penalty points?

• Advertisement

Is it me or was the chap on the phone from Belgium talking about the Christmas Truce commemoration trying to muster up a few tears at the end of his call?. His voice seemed to start cracking up too but it sounded like he was trying too hard to make it happen.

Feckin eejit if that's what he was at.

In fairness to Claire Byrne, (her own show in Marian's timeslot) she saw right through it and wasn't long getting rid of him.

Is it me or was the chap on the phone from Belgium talking about the Christmas Truce commemoration trying to muster up a few tears at the end of his call?. His voice seemed to start cracking up too but it sounded like he was trying too hard to make it happen.

I think there is a lot of maudlin, sanctimonious, Joe Duffy-esque nonsense about WWI and that football match... that chap today went over to sleep out to see what it was like and then tried to work out what we could learn.... The one thing that seems to be forgotten is that they got right back to the job of killing each other the next day...

I thought Claire was very good today... but Marian is back in tomorrow... Why they bothered bring her back in for two hours is beyond me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I think there is a lot of maudlin, sanctimonious, Joe Duffy-esque nonsense about WWI and that football match... that chap today went over to sleep out to see what it was like and then tried to work out what we could learn.... The one thing that seems to be forgotten is that they got right back to the job of killing each other the next day...

I thought Claire was very good today... but Marian is back in tomorrow... Why they bothered bring her back in for two hours is beyond me..

Couldn't agree more. So what if thousands of soldiers' deaths were delayed by a day because of some sporadic "friendly" football match?

The whole glorification of that useless pointless war is starting to grate on me already, and we've still got another four years to go before all the so-called commemorations are done with, for what was basically a spat between German and British royals.

"The HSE needs a 'woman's touch' "...

Can you imagine the baulking if one of the male contributors came out with that particular phrase...

Enda said that he will campaign in favour of same sex marriage... That should save us all having to go out and vote no....

We know most of this stuff already. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Garret wasn't happy with Maggie Thatcher. Enough already.

• Advertisement

We know most of this stuff already. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Garret wasn't happy with Maggie Thatcher. Enough already.

Ken Whitaker, what an extraordinary man! Irealand surely owes him a huge debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Enda said that he will campaign in favour of same sex marriage... That should save us all having to go out and vote no....

You are on the wrong side of history on this one man.

I agree, the same rubbish every year at this time.

You are on the wrong side of history on this one man.

How do you know?

Have the referendum results been rigged already?

How do you know?

Issues man?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

How do you know?

Unless the 'no' side somehow come up with an actual argument against marriage equality, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion.

There are no logical reasons to vote 'no'.

RayM wrote: »
    Unless the 'no' side somehow come up with an actual argument against marriage equality, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion.

There are no logical reasons to vote 'no'.

Where referendums are concerned there is no such thing as a "foregone conclusion" - remember the Seanad referendum!

As to logical reasons - logic can fall foul of whipped up emotion and there is always the problem that "you can't reason someone out of something they were never reasoned into". I most certainly would not be complacent, there are still a lot of very, very reactionary people out there and not everyone tell the truth to opinion polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I reckon it will be the Lucy/Eddie Show in the morning. One of them will almost definitely be on the programme to discuss the no name party :rolleyes:

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I reckon it will be the Lucy/Eddie Show in the morning. One of them will almost definitely be on the programme to discuss the no name party :rolleyes:

I suppose in The Town With No Name, wherein resides The Man With No Name, who drinks The Beer With No Name, he's bound to vote for The Party With No Name.

Lucinda picked a perfect time to announce but not really announce her new party - the day after New Year's Day when feck all is happening. Marian's researchers must be delighted, although at least it probably saves us from half an hour of Rachel/Darina (Don't mention the thing) Allen telling us what to do with turkey leftovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I suppose in The Town With No Name, wherein resides The Man With No Name, who drinks The Beer With No Name, he's bound to vote for The Party With No Name.
    This can be their theme tune

Marian is already bored listening to him, flicking through the newspaper..

Sounding more and more like the resurrection of the PD's

That's a good response by Eddie Hobbs... It will play very well with the Irish people, who love a bit of humility...

I expected a studio interview with either Luninda or Eddie this morning, guess they couldn't be bother driving to RTE .... has the arrogance set in already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

BULL**** KLAXON! Each state has two senators, ya eejit.

10 k and established CONNECTIONS , he eventually mentions , annoying bull****ter.

Jeez, that was like listening to a PR piece for Tata.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Jeez, that was like listening to a PR piece for Tata.

All the Mishras( TATA owners )have Irish passports and are Irishmen he says, like we should be proud of it , if they don't pay tax here ,WE DONT GIVE A FLYING ONE.

The silence round the table when yer one said her son got a Connacht Jersey from Santa was deafening. You could almost picture the D4 panel expecting her to follow up by explaining to them who the hell are this Connacht she speaks of.

Well, that Haughey love-in ended abruptly.

"He was a corrupt thug and a bully" - met with a pregnant pause of uncomfortable silence from Charlie's cheerleaders :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

Or the silence when one speaker called Charlie a bully and a crook!
    Dead air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

"He was a corrupt thug and a bully" - met with a pregnant pause of uncomfortable silence from Charlie's cheerleaders :D

I applauded that man when I heard him say that. The canonisation of Charlie was puke inducing.

Also, earlier on ...

Marian "Did you ever meet Charlie?"

Female Contributor "Oh yes, I worked for him for years"

You can't put a price on those painstaking hours of research Marian puts in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

The boston accent is hard on the ears

ah010809clamchowder2.jpg

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

No denying that, but at least he did it with a bit of style and in a sharp suit. Unlike his successors who might have been wearing expensive duds but just looked and acted like duds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement