Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Monday Night Wars - a thread about both the TV show and the era

Options
  • 12-12-2014 10:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else watching this? 16 episodes to date and easily the best documentary style show Ive seen so far that is a Network exclusive.

What was your favourite thing about this era? For me it was the politics and competitiveness that went on back then. When you look at it coinciding with the Attitude era it is truly the best timespan wrestling has ever seen or likely will ever see. It goes to show that WWE and Vince needs a real rival to keep their product on their toes.

Otherwise we get people dressing up as bunnies, part time champions and Roman Reigns being pushed down our throats.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Latest episode should be a cracker if they get some honest and blunt opinions on the interviews. Its all about the Kliq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I've huge problems with the series, so much revisionist BS. The increased presence of Triple H as a big player in the attitude era, the portrayal of Ted Turner as this evil man trying to destroy the business.

It could have been gold, balanced views from both sides but as the motto goes those who win the war rewrite history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am still of the opinion that HHH never drew a dime in his life. To say he was anything but a bit part player during MNW is a lie imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

gimmick wrote: »
    I am still of the opinion that HHH never drew a dime in his life. To say he was anything but a bit part player during MNW is a lie imo.

Bj1rw9FCUAAqPiw.jpg

hope that links right!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Triple H reached the pinnacle of his TV career in August/September 1999 when he had his first title run. I haven't seen him do anything more entertaining than attacking other wrestlers with a sledgehammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I started watching this but when it kept retreading previous weeks, I just couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Haven't seen the show ... certainly I'd disagree with the first part, Triple H has drawn viewers and plenty of dimes. From the mid 90's onward he started coming into his own. By the first McMahon/Helmsley regime he was definitely one of the top main eventers in the company. That's not to say he was on the level of Rock or Austin, but a considerable presence none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Triple H politicked his way into the position that he arrived in today. He said it himself, he made a beeline for the Kliq when he got to WWF because he wanted to "learn." It comes across more like he was a new kid in school who wanted to get in with the crowd of bullies. Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sin Eater wrote: »
    Haven't seen the show ... certainly I'd disagree with the first part, Triple H has drawn viewers and plenty of dimes. From the mid 90's onward he started coming into his own. By the first McMahon/Helmsley regime he was definitely one of the top main eventers in the company. That's not to say he was on the level of Rock or Austin, but a considerable presence none the less.

McMahon Vs Rock/Austin was the draw there. HHH was on McMahons coat tails.

I have been thinking of his biggest feuds and none of them I would have said is he the guy people paid to see. Im thinking Batista, HBK, Rock, Austin - those were the guys who made those feuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Ted Turner didn't give a fiddler's bag about the whole thing. It's all in Vince's head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

HHH was the greatest heel of the attitude era imo besides Vinnie mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I like the show. But.... there's just so much recycled material in each show. They could easily make each show half an hour in length if they cut out the repeated stuff.

Plus, the timeline is all over the place. It jumps all over the shop regularly. They should have made this a chronological series

Well it doesn't seem to tell the story to anyone who is new to that whole time period. If I knew nothing about WWF and WCW I would struggle to know what happened and in what order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

McMahon Vs Rock/Austin was the draw there. HHH was on McMahons coat tails.

I have been thinking of his biggest feuds and none of them I would have said is he the guy people paid to see. Im thinking Batista, HBK, Rock, Austin - those were the guys who made those feuds.

He is the guy who works with the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ricero wrote: »
    HHH was the greatest heel of the attitude era imo besides Vinnie mac.

+1

Politiking or not, he performed in ring at a consistently high level for most of the 00's.

I dunno, the same could be said about a lot of guys at that time. He had his own familiar routine. While he was a heel, The Rock was far more enjoyable to watch, in my opinion. So entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

HHH was the guy who worked with the guy who drew the money.

there's nothing wrong with that, but to say he was a big player in the Monday Night Wars is hysterical.

WCW imploding, coupled with the fact that two of the biggest players in the history of the industry came along at the exact same time (Austin & Rock), and feuded with the greatest heel of all time (McMahon)...that's what won the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I dunno, the same could be said about a lot of guys at that time. He had his own familiar routine. While he was a heel, The Rock was far more enjoyable to watch, in my opinion. So entertaining.

Ah ya but the Rock and Austin were complete anomalies in fairness. They were both equally entertaining as heels or faces. Trips as a face just didnt work for me, though I did get serious goose bumps when he returned after the first quad injury. He had left as the biggest heel in the company but the arena went bananas when he came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

+1

Politiking or not, he performed in ring at a consistently high level for most of the 00's.

I have said it a million times, HHH as a heel is second to none, he can get more reaction from a crowd with a smirk than 99% of wrestlers get from a promo!
    While he was a heel, The Rock was far more enjoyable to watch, in my opinion. So entertaining.

....which would make him a bad heel in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

True. Back in 2008, I stumbled upon old episodes of Raw from 2003 and while the crowd ferociously booed him the night he returned to wrestle Hogan in February, they starting cheering him during the Goldberg feud in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

RE the 2002 comeback, you can't ignore the fact that it was a MSG crowd who are usually on the "smart" side, that HHH had MANY uplifting babyface return promo videos made and aired for weeks before his return...

Just saying this to put things in context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Reebrock wrote: »
    Just saying this to put things in context.

#It's a beautiful daaaaay *spit water*

Triple H was great from around Summerslam '99 through to May 2001.

Was hoping we'd somehow get that guy against Daniel Bryan but nope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

+1

Which is completely irrelevant to Monday night Wars from 1996 - 2000.

I have said it a million times, HHH as a heel is second to none, he can get more reaction from a crowd with a smirk than 99% of wrestlers get from a promo!

No, not at all. The Rock was gripping to watch. Triple H, for me just, was a lot less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Why does enjoyable = bad? I found the Million Dollar Man, Bobby Heenan & Mr.Perfect enjoyable as heels does that make them bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

SlickRic wrote: »

there's nothing wrong with that, but to say he was a big player in the Monday Night Wars is hysterical.
    Yep, I mean, really there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever, and he has a pretty good claim as being the best one of those guys that I can think of. If he wasn't so hell bent on portraying himself in these kinds of things as so much bigger of a deal than he was, I feel like people would respect him a good deal more.

That being said, as the guy in the family and all, I understand why they do it. No different to the Von Erichs or Verne Gagne, it's a good idea to have someone who's portrayed as a GOAT contender as an emergency backup. A lot of casual fans do believe what's fed to them, he may not draw in any new people in a desperate situation, but he'll plug a gap and keep the regulars watching for a bit at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

SlickRic wrote: »

WCW imploding, coupled with the fact that two of the biggest players in the history of the industry came along at the exact same time (Austin & Rock), and feuded with the greatest heel of all time (McMahon)...that's what won the war.

And yet it was Mankind winning the WWE title that seemed to turn the tide and finished WCW's dominance on top. I do think that the attitude that the only people that mattered during the Monday Night Wars (in WWE) were Austin, Rock, and McMahon does a great disservice to everyone else on the card, especially the likes of Mick Foley, Undertaker, and Triple H.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Advertisement