Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fuel Surcharge

• 16-12-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I went looking for flights to Canada a few days ago and seen how expensive they are, looking at the price breakdown I found that Aer Lingus are still charging a Fuel Surcharge on long haul flights??? When Oil is at the cheapest it has been for a long time, how can Aer Lingus justify this complete rip-off of its customers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Fuel is hedged well in advance, will take a few months for the prices to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adzer2

Well its been 6 months since the Oil prices have started to come down, but yet the fuel surcharge remains, not a mention of changing that situation anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

adzer2 wrote: »
    Well its been 6 months since the Oil prices have started to come down, but yet the fuel surcharge remains, not a mention of changing that situation anywhere

It's only been a few months that they have been seriously low. I remember Ryanair hedged their oil at $120 a barrell for a long period of time. But the market price was about $70 a barrel half way through the contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Then surely thats the airlines problem and not mine? If they want to hedge and it goes wrong, why should the customer have to pay? Especially when they are charging fuel surcharges in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

smurfjed wrote: »
    Then surely thats the airlines problem and not mine? If they want to hedge and it goes wrong, why should the customer have to pay? Especially when they are charging fuel surcharges in the first place?

Because if you don't like it, don't fly with an airline that charges it. Which is nearly all of them. Welcome to capitalism, airlines can charge what they like, people won't fly with them if they're too expensive. Which judging by passenger numbers, doesn't seem to be the case.

• Advertisement

Because if you don't like it, don't fly with an airline that charges it.
    Excellent idea, I'm flying home tomorrow night and not paying any fuel surcharge :):)

Excellent idea, I'm flying home tomorrow night and not paying any fuel surcharge :):)

Was it noticeably cheaper or did they just hide it in the ticket price :)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

aer lingus are about double the price of other carriers and have pretty poor service

they try and charge you for food and seating on international flights ,seats are also pretty cramped,check in takes forever,they give you a biscuit for breakfast and weak cup tea,

no refund of fare

https://www.google.com/flights/

Noticeably cheaper for a First Class seat on a 7 hour flight..... Guaranteed no fuel surcharge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Noticeably cheaper for a First Class seat on a 7 hour flight..... Guaranteed no fuel surcharge :)

You must be on the wrong flight. Aer Lingus don't do first class.

• Advertisement

You must be on the wrong flight
    Nope I'm on the right flight, its just not Aer Lingus :)

So you appear to agree that if you take a taxi, once you get inside, the driver can increase the price by XX% due to increased fuel costs.

Do you happen to know how the cost of aviation fuel in lets say Shannon compares between 2011 and 2014?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Nope I'm on the right flight, its just not Aer Lingus :)

So you appear to agree that if you take a taxi, once you get inside, the driver can increase the price by XX% due to increased fuel costs.

Do you happen to know how the cost of aviation fuel in lets say Shannon compares between 2011 and 2014?

I never mentioned fuel prices?

But your example is ludicrous. Which airline increases its price after you get on board?

I never mentioned fuel prices?
    But we are discussing fuel surcharges so surely fuel price is a factor?

Some airlines add the surcharge after you start making the initial booking, sorry i still think that fuel is a required cost therefore it shouldn't be added as a surcharge. If you do the maths on the fuel price between 2011 and 2014, you might be surprised :)

But we are discussing fuel surcharges so surely fuel price is a factor?

Some airlines add the surcharge after you start making the initial booking, sorry i still think that fuel is a required cost therefore it shouldn't be added as a surcharge. If you do the maths on the fuel price between 2011 and 2014, you might be surprised :)

Which airlines are these? Screenshots of the fuel surcharge being added on after booking has begun? I'm fairly sure it's illegal now for them not to disclose the full price up front :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

OP, there is a thread running over on Bargin Alerts about flights to BA. There is/are link(s) in it that explain some of the nonsense that airlines get up to with fuel surcharges

Advertisement