Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions, boyfriend thinking of joining

Options
  • 21-12-2014 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    My boyfriend is thinking of joining the army, we are in a long-term relationship and I have a few questions that I have been struggling to find answers to. These are just questions and please if you are not going to answer the questions, dont leave any rude or waste of time comments please.
    I have heard that the minimum stay in the army is 5 years? Is this true?

Also when in training in the army how often do you get to visit home or is it necessary to live on the base?

Final question is to any army wives or girlfriends. What are the major changes in day to day life? How different is it to normal 9-5 job in terms of hours?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and answer this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

I have heard that the minimum stay in the army is 5 years? Is this true?

No. He is free to leave whenever. He may have to buy himself out for a nominal fee. Once he completes training he may have to make an undertaking if he pursues a technical qualification or university degree.
    Also when in training in the army how often do you get to visit home or is it necessary to live on the base?

Depends if he will join as a recruit (2/3 weekends a month) or as a cadet (1 weekend a month), yes he will have to live in barracks.
    Final question is to any army wives or girlfriends. What are the major changes in day to day life? How different is it to normal 9-5 job in terms of hours?

Cant answer for the other side of the coin but it can be very tough from a partners point of view. He will loose some control of his time as he will subjected to the whims of the army, this can be hard to understand and accept.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and answer this

Hope this helps! If he gets in, no matter which stream it will be an overwhelmingly positive experience. He will make some best friends for life, he will develop his character, self confidence, leadership and the ability to accept responsibility for himself and the mission!

Advertisement