Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film and Television Portfolio IADT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭JaneWillow

Do you submit the portfolio by post or through the CAO website?

Can I do the CAO thing first and send in all the forms for that and than submit the portfolio for filmschool a week and a half later? or is this not possible?

Will the people from IADT see the stuff I filled in on the CAO page?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

This is pointless! Surely somebody from the college would want to keep an eye on this kind of thing.

When I was looking at the online prospectus, not once did it give any reference to deadlines of portfolios. Even a ball park figure would be appreciated. In this thread people were throwing around late March, but who are those people?

I'll get the work done anyway, hopefully IADT will get in touch with each of us personally after the 1st of Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 17 msc1

?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

This is pointless! Surely somebody from the college would want to keep an eye on this kind of thing.

When I was looking at the online prospectus, not once did it give any reference to deadlines of portfolios. Even a ball park figure would be appreciated. In this thread people were throwing around late March, but who are those people?

I'll get the work done anyway, hopefully IADT will get in touch with each of us personally after the 1st of Feb

The question was answered on a similar post. But here's a like to that http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82712735&postcount=3

yeah found everything out. went to the open evening.you send the portfolio at the end of march and you have an interview somewhere in april.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Bubblefett wrote: »

They look like last year's dates. Although I'm sure they'll be updated soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FlyingMoth

Hey there,

The portfolio deadlines coming up and i was just wondering how it should be presented?. I feel i could fit mine into an a4 or a3 folder, is there a need to have it any bigger? or how do people usually submit there work? also is it ok to have photographs etc, on DVDs swell? or is it recommended that you get them printed out? Also is it possible for the examiners to view online pages, i.e. youtube accounts or website portfolios?

Thank you

FlyingMoth wrote: »
    Hey there,

The portfolio deadlines coming up and i was just wondering how it should be presented?. I feel i could fit mine into an a4 or a3 folder, is there a need to have it any bigger? or how do people usually submit there work? also is it ok to have photographs etc, on DVDs swell? or is it recommended that you get them printed out? Also is it possible for the examiners to view online pages, i.e. youtube accounts or website portfolios?

Thank you

Hi FlyingMoth

Present any way you like that keeps it all neat and easy to get at. We get a mix of A4 folders and the big art portfolios (deffo no need to buy one of these). So an A4 is fine.

DVDs are OK for photos but not ideal - photos usually look better if printed and mounted. Also, in my experience there can be issues with data DVDs (as opposed to DVD-Video).

Online pages, youtube accounts or web portfolios aren't OK I'm afraid. There are too many technical issues that could affect the viewing (although it's definitely something we might think about in the future).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

Portfolio is due tomorrow, fingers crossed!
    Was going to make a big display board, but it might have to be downsized to A4 due to technical difficulties.

Luckily I have a brilliant showreel, I hope that it'll all go smoothly :)
    Good luck to everybody tomorrow and the following days!

• Advertisement

Yeah I´m going tmrw. Can´t wait. So scared that my DVD´s won´t work or that the cab that takes me to DL won´t arrive on time. Really hope it all goes well. My showreel ain´t the best, but my portfolio looks nice, I put loads of effort into making it look professional. Best of luck to everyone! Fingers crossed.

ps: I really hope it won't take until May to hear whether we're accepted or not, don't think I could deal with the nerves for two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Just got my portfolio result yesterday, scored 600/600. Entirely mind blown because I did NOT think I'd get that!

Super motivated for the leaving cert now!

yeah me too! 600/600. I'm a mature student by the way. Really nervous though because they're gonna look at my experience and internships I've done in Film. I studied art school for 1 year in Holland so I hope that'll show I've plenty of experience and will give me a high enough score to get into IADT. What do you think? I don't know what they're looking for "experience wise" at the CAO. Can someone clarify.

That's great to hear! Unfortunately I can't really be of much help in that regard because I'm coming up through the school system, but by the sounds of it you've got good credentials!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CormacMcG94

Keggers2 wrote: »
    Just got my portfolio result yesterday, scored 600/600.

I only got 490 this year so i'm going to put another one together next year. and Apply again.

I was wondering if you could tell me about your portfolio and how you put it together.

If you could show me some of your work that would be great.
    I want to see where i'm going wrong. :)

Thanks.

I only got 490 this year so i'm going to put another one together next year. and Apply again.

I was wondering if you could tell me about your portfolio and how you put it together.

Thanks.

CormacMcG94, 490 would be considered a very high portfolio score and there are plenty of people who scored around there on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CormacMcG94

atgate wrote: »
    CormacMcG94, 490 would be considered a very high portfolio score and there are plenty of people who scored around there on the course.

Well you see I did terrible in my leaving cert. So i need at least 550 in my portfolio. :(

Thanks.

Sure thing man! Over the Summer I plan to put up some sort of page with all my stuff on it, but in terms of video everything I had in my portfolio can be found on my youtube page;

http://www.youtube.com/user/StoneworkProductions

(Except the mix song, which was done by a friend of mine). I also had a showreel with extended clips from all my videos. And basically each video had a booklet accompanying it that outlines the whole process of making each of them, scripts, story boards, shot lists, that sort of thing!

After that I had three scripts which I've written, which I can't reeeally post because I'm actually currently working on making them all into videos themselves.

I had a photography book with 17 pieces, which I tried to keep as varied as possible. I'll try and get them posted somewhere! In hindsight I can actually see quite a bit wrong with quite a few of them, but mistakes are a really valuable lesson in my experience, so I'll a 'what I did wrong' sort of post in case it's helpful to somone.

I had a small booklet just talking about any work I've done related to the course (mainly just really small photography gigs in pubs and whatnot) which pictures from that work! It actually really just consisted of shots from a series of music gigs we have here in Portarlington!

Finally I put in a couple of my sketch books which were just full of doodles and random ideas. I can't draw for ****e but I think it helped to convey my interest in doing the course!

To be honest I think the interview really helped me a lot! Be intimately familiar with EVERYTHING you put into your portfolio, be able to talk about why it's in there and what you were trying to do with it! They may not ask you about most of it, but make sure that anything that's there is there for a reason! More than anything though, just be enthusiastic! They really just want to see that you're passionate and willing to learn! Well I think that's it because it feels like that's 90% of what I said! Anywho, I hope this was coherent and helps even a small bit!

If you have any other questions fire away!

Heya Cormac, (in advance apologies for bad grammar etc, I'm no native speaker)

I went to the open evening and saw some of the portfolio so I kinda looked at what I liked about those portfolios. (I suggest you do this!)
    Also I tried to talk a lot about
    1) the roles I worked in for the video 2) what I tried to bring across with the video 3) show them I tried to experiment with shooting/editing the video in different ways 4) tell them what I liked about the video 5) what I would've done differently the next time 6) show them who/what inspired me to make the video in the first place.

At the open evening they said they liked people who had a varied amount of works (so not all the videos are in the same style) and they also like seeing your talents in other areas like photography or music etc. But most importantly they love people who experiment; so show how you tried to do things differently and add this onto your DVD.

I made my portfolio in photoshop and tried to show I have a very personal style (light colours, feminine) and make it fun to look through (lots of pictures and drawings etc).

My videographic work wasn't the best, shot with low quality camera's, but it was a varied body of work and I showed plenty of motivation at the interview. I did not have as much stuff as the guy above, I just made sure the first 3 video were my best videos and they watched them. I did make an attempt at scriptwriting but that was all really. I just showed lots of motivation by making such a nice looking portfolio and by showing motivation at the interview. (....now fingers crossed I do well at the English test and get my college fee from my native government! I so want to go to IADT aaaah!)

Hope this helps, if you want to I can forward you my portfolio so you can see a few pages.

Has anyone gotten their results in yet? I've my portfolio score but still haven't heard my other score from the CAO yet? Would anyone know when it will be in at the latest?

• Advertisement

Don't worry, they don't come out until August! A majority of people working through the CAO have only just started their exams so I'd say everyone's will come out at the same time.

For mature students the scores come out on the 4th of July I found out. Anyway, I got in apparently! Asked Eoin, with my max portfolio score you always get in as a mature student. YAY!

Oh right, well done!

Hoopefully I'll see you in September so!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sayitaintso

I'm planning on applying for this course this year and I'm putting together my portfolio. I was going to include the following:

1. 5 minute short film (with script, storyboards, and notes on style)
    2. Short promo for a shop
    3. 10 minute short film script with storyboards
    4. 10-15 photographs (haven't decided on a theme yet)

Is that enough or should I add more? Also, is there a rule for what size the photos should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JaneR5

Hi just wondering if any one done the porfolio preparation course at iadt and if it's any good for this course thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Patmac98

Hey everyone, not sure if this forum is still being used by anyone! Maybe this will spark it to start up again...!

I have been reading through these forums and its making me quite nervous! Everyone here seems to have gotten over 500 in their portfolios and I only got 450...

Last years points were 825 so I'd be aiming for about 375 in the Leaving Cert but even that would be a stretch to get!

I'd hope that it wouldn't go up any higher but it very well may...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Patmac98 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, not sure if this forum is still being used by anyone! Maybe this will spark it to start up again...!

I have been reading through these forums and its making me quite nervous! Everyone here seems to have gotten over 500 in their portfolios and I only got 450...

Last years points were 825 so I'd be aiming for about 375 in the Leaving Cert but even that would be a stretch to get!

I'd hope that it wouldn't go up any higher but it very well may...

Hi Patmac,

Bear in mind that not everyone offered a place will take it and that numbers change all the time. I'd stay hopeful on the 'chance' side of things but focus yourself on what you can do to help yourself.

See what subjects can net you a few more points on the CAO, maybe you've got a talent for maths or English that can be exploited to get a higher grade. I dropped a lot of points in my language subjects that, if I had better perspective at the time, would have been easy to retain with some dedicated study.

It's easy to imagine the worst-case scenario and, as I know, it's easy to see how things can turn against you but your own imagination can be your own worst enemy when it comes to things like college courses and grades. I dwelled on the negative and ended up missing out on the courses I wanted to do the first time around. It took a quick FETAC course to get me back on my feet and into IADT so even the worst-case scenario can turn around for you.

Hi Patmac98

Loads of people have got a place on 450 and less over the years. As you know it's a cruel mix of portfolio and leaving cert. My advice is not to fret about portfolio points now. Just get the head down for the LC.

Best of luck with the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zachvs

I have IADT as my first choice on CAO but I doubt I will get in with 700 points, what would be a better second choice, DIT Film and Broadcasting or DKIT Film Production.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

zachvs wrote: »
    I have IADT as my first choice on CAO but I doubt I will get in with 700 points, what would be a better second choice, DIT Film and Broadcasting or DKIT Film Production.

Looking into the individual courses and what they offer might answer your question as one might appeal to you more. A friend of mine did the DKIT Film Production course and was prepared to direct and produce his own short films as a part of a crew. Judging by the name of the DIT course, you might get technical aspects of broadcasting that you might not get in DKIT.

Worth a poke around on their individual prospectus', see what catches your eye.

Advertisement