Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Connect

• 21-12-2014 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Anyone having problems with Garmin Connect? Last night I plugged my Edge in and Garmin won't let me upload. Strava works fine, but the Garmin site stalls at the upload page - it doesn't see any of my edge data.
    Laptop is a macbook running OSX 10.6.8

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Used it this morning with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I'm on MacOS as well, and it was uploading fine....but....(BTW, sorry it's a bit OT, but....)
    instead of my latest spin getting the default 'untitled' name, it now automatically names the spins as 'crossmaglen cycling'.
    Same happened my wife's Garmin yesterday also.

Not living near an area called Crossmaglen - just wondering if other people are still getting 'untitled' as their spin name after upload? Was thinking maybe its a new feature like the way Strava names your spin according to the area you started it in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

andy69 wrote: »
    I'm on MacOS as well, and it was uploading fine....but....(BTW, sorry it's a bit OT, but....)
    instead of my latest spin getting the default 'untitled' name, it now automatically names the spins as 'crossmaglen cycling'.

Not living near an area called Crossmaglen - just wondering if other people are still getting 'untitled' as their spin name after upload? Was thinking maybe its a new feature like the way Strava names your spin according to the area you started it in.

Actually I got this morning as well on a Mac. It was called Kilkeel Cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

godtabh wrote: »
    Actually I got this morning as well on a Mac. It was called Kilkeel Cycling

Ditto the kilkeel cycling, I'm using a pc with vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Hmm... in work now so I'll try it again tonight when I get home. Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TommyGrealy

andy69 wrote: »

I've also been getting "Crossmaglen Run" on anything I've uploaded since yesterday by default (where it used to just give the default name of "Untitled").
    The runs were all in West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blue Steel

+ no maps nor charts in the detailed view since yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Ive just uploaded a couple of spins. They show as "Warrenpoint Cycling", instead of "untitled"
    The same thing happened on Friday.
    I haven't been near Warrenpoint.
    I'm using a MacBook.
    I should also add, that my Garmin seems to upload automatically now, without me having to click on "upload"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Ive just uploaded a couple of spins. They show as "Warrenpoint Cycling", instead of "untitled"
    The same thing happened on Friday.
    I haven't been near Warrenpoint.
    I'm using a MacBook.
    I should also add, that my Garmin seems to upload automatically now, without me having to click on "upload"
    SNAP! Same happening here...instead of "untitled", mine are named "Kilkeel Cycling"....bizarre! Anyone know what's go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

07Lapierre wrote: »
    SNAP! Same happening here...instead of "untitled", mine are named "Kilkeel Cycling"....bizarre! Anyone know what's go on?

ah! there seems to have been new functionality added - guess it's not quite right yet for whatever mapping formula they use for Ireland :)

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?176653-me-really-like-recent-changes-like-GEAR-amp-AUTO-Activity-NAMING-me-happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

+1 here, uload rom Linux, get "crossmaglen cycling" , which ain't exactly near where I am!

Judging by the various names here, I'd guess it doesn't have ROI information and is picking the nearest location it has in Norn Iron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

J Madone wrote: »
    Ditto the kilkeel cycling, I'm using a pc with vista
    Same here. My last two spins threw up the Kilkeel Cycling thing. I just renamed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Just got Kilkeel Cycling there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

crosstownk wrote: »
    Same here. My last two spins threw up the Kilkeel Cycling thing. I just renamed it.
    wowy wrote: »
    Just got Kilkeel Cycling there too.

Same.

Just uploaded my last ride from last week before I got ebola from one of my nieces/nephews, post "christening do"

I notice that Garmin now has a "Gear" tab, for adding bikes etc.

Don't recall seeing that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I got that kilkeel thing, on my watch (for a walk) last week. Didn't happen with today's or yesterday's cycles though.

Also, it hasn't been syncing with my fitness pal the last few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I notice that Garmin now has a "Gear" tab, for adding bikes etc.

Don't recall seeing that before.

added during the week. not great as very difficult to add anything historic, unless you have only 1 bike and add everything to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

My last two runs came up as Crossmaglen Running on Garmin but show as untitled on Strava. I use garminsync to upload from Garmin to strava and am using a Garmin 610.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Mine stopped working as well, but i use to always use the old dashboard to upload.
    I can upload using the garmin express and the new dashboard

I just assumed it was Garmin who disabled your ability to upload via the old dashboard

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blue Steel

Confirmed. They want you to move to the new dashboard.

I preferred the old view.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Shame alright, have to say i'm the same i perferred the old one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

They seem to have made a lot of changes behind the scenes and with the GUI.

There are now eight types of "cycling" you can "flag" a ride E.G. Cyclocross is now an option. (There's a sh1t load for others such as swimming etc)

In the Modern view pull up a ride and in the top left the "Cycling" has a drop down menu. You can see the new options there

Also in the modern view, click on "Activities" menu on the LH "bar" so that you can see the "list" view and on the far right at the top there is an "import" option. That's the new manual upload.

Assimilation is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Garmin Express doesn't work right in my Mac either. Using Yosemite as the OS.
    The Web Uploader isn't working either. I gotta upload the files manually.
    If you're using the Bluetooth Connection and the Auto-Upload it doesn't cross post to Strava, like you'd expect it to.
    Garmin will be the BetaMax of the cycling industry in a few years.

Garmin Express doesn't work right in my Mac either. Using Yosemite as the OS.
    The Web Uploader isn't working either. I gotta upload the files manually.
    If you're using the Bluetooth Connection and the Auto-Upload it doesn't cross post to Strava, like you'd expect it to.
    Garmin will be the BetaMax of the cycling industry in a few years.

Sync to strava works fine here no matter what the upload mechanism including Bluetooth

And pretty ridiculous comment given their dominance in cycling circles. And even more so when you consider cycling only a small part of their offering. Who is even offering realistic competition?

Still happening - Garmin don't believe in fixing problems in my experience, so this one will be around for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

They had something up on their Twitter feed today about yet more uploading issues - I've had loads of issues recently.
    Apparently they've released updates today of the apps (Garmin Syn / Web Uploader or something) which is supposed to fix it, so try updating these.
    On a related issue, I've had loads of problems getting Connect on my iPhone to sync / pickup via Bluetooth my Edge 810. I'm kind of hoping the issues are related and will be fixed asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Jnealon wrote: »
    My last two runs came up as Crossmaglen Running on Garmin but show as untitled on Strava. I use garminsync to upload from Garmin to strava and am using a Garmin 610.

I was getting the same Crossmaglen thing. What's that all about?

I was getting the same Crossmaglen thing. What's that all about?

They are trying to do the same as strava and put a location automatically in the activity name, but looks like they only have UK/NI mapped so it's picking a recognised spot which is Crossmaglen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My experience of the new Garmin interface hasn't been great.

Garmin Express

GE only syncs when it is in the humour, which is not all that often.

There seems to be a certificate problem with one its components, which results in windows bugging me for permissions before it will even open properly.

It tries to force feed me some time zone update, despite a few supposedly sucessful attempts to install it.

On those limited occasions it does sync and I check the web.....

Half the time I get an error screen with some gibberish about some other gibberish

The other half I reach a fairly messy screen which has all sorts of stuff I don't really need. Mostly I just want to have a look over my spin.

Apart from that I love it (cos it's free!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

mossym wrote: »
    They are trying to do the same as strava and put a location automatically in the activity name, but looks like they only have UK/NI mapped so it's picking a recognised spot which is Crossmaglen

Wondered same, all my runs since late Dec are "Crossmaglen Running". What a mess! Wonder are they planning to fix this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Living quite near to those areas I thought it was just me. Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

PauloMN wrote: »
    Wondered same, all my runs since late Dec are "Crossmaglen Running". What a mess! Wonder are they planning to fix this?

Similar thing happening to me - all my cycles show up as "Kilkeel Cycling". Have just given up changing the names each time.

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sync was not working last night for me, so forced to do some manual work and upload the rides myself. That is 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Damn you to hell Garmin Connect.

Not only did I have to log onto Strava and upload the ride, I then had to log onto TP and do the same. Of course I don't pay for either Strava or TP so the actual usefulness of the data is limited.

Luckily, the important part of Garmin, the computer unit itself, works brilliant and does everything it says it can.

Talk about 1st world problems!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Any of you using Mapmyrun/Mapmycycle etc.? Have you had problems syncing in activities since 1st Jan? I have a number of runs for Jan in Garmin Connect that won't appear in Mymyrun.

Mine seems to be working ok now - the auto ride naming thing seems to work in Zurich! Only issue I have now is to update my os so I can use Garmin express to get more features out of my virb (which now records properly now I've set it to PAL!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've set it to PAL!

But you're getting only 25/50 fps instead of 30/60...

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    But you're getting only 25/50 fps instead of 30/60...

I always get an extra smile from jokes I know have left our "younger viewers" completely bewildered.
    Perhaps I've discovered the only advantage of being old!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Jokes? Where? Am I too old or too young? :o

Alek wrote: »
    Jokes? Where? Am I too old or too young? :o

Oops, no me too old. :o
    Just read back up and saw mention of Virb, which I assume is one of those camera things the youngsters have today :)

I though you were referring to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I'm still getting Crossmaglen. Anyway to prevent this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Im still in Warrenpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've been getting 'Kilkeel Cycling' since all this started. I just edit the name, it's the easiest way to deal with it until Garmin eventually sort it out.

Editing only takes a few seconds. Thankfully, the Kilkeel thing doesn't transfer to Strava.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭devonp

I'm still getting Crossmaglen. Anyway to prevent this??

me too...??

devonp wrote: »
    me too...??

move to Crossmaglen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Has anyone a fix yet for this "kilkeel cycling" bug please? First world problems and all that but it's really getting annoying now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Has anyone a fix yet for this "kilkeel cycling" bug please? First world problems and all that but it's really getting annoying now.

Other than actually cycling around kilkeel , then no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭devonp

well my exile in Crossmaglen has finished....now it says untitiled..where's that? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

devonp wrote: »
    well my exile in Crossmaglen has finished....now it says untitiled..where's that? :p

it's served by the As Seirbhís bus routes.

Im still getting "Crossmaglen Running" for everything.. Wake up garmin!
    When will boards.ie let me post links...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Another person with the "kilkeel cycling" default name for every cycle I upload.

I have an EDGE 200 ..and start rides from Dublin City Centre when ever the EDGE get around to finding signal !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Im still getting "Crossmaglen Running" for everything.. Wake up garmin!
    When will boards.ie let me post links...?

When you have 10x as many posts as you currently have :)

I get both Crossmaglen and Kilkeel on mine, the former when I leave from home (Dublin 15) and the latter when I leave from work (Dublin 2).

• Advertisement
Advertisement