Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your teams biggest upsets

Options
  • 20-12-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Just a variation on the biggest hammerings thread, biggest upsets involving your county, doesn't matter if it was by one point or 20, just an unexpected win or defeat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Offaly beating Meath (reigning AI champions) in the Leinster Final in 1997 and in the first round of Leinster in 2000.

Both were big upsets from a neutral perspective although I wasn't hugely surprised as in my honest opinion Offaly from 1997 to 2006 were a very good team and should have won more than 1 Leinster with the players they had.We suffered an awful lot of narrow defeats in Leinster in that period.

The hurlers beating Cork in 2000 and Clare in 1998 (regardless of the controversy) as I thought we would have been annihilated in both those games.The Cork win in 2000 was the last great performance from that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

In hurling Kilkenny losing to Antrim in the 1943 All Ireland Semi Final was probably the highest upset

In football the Kilkenny minors almost beat the Laois minor team in the year they won the all Ireland if my memory is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭patmac

Westmeath 0-14 Dublin 0-12 in 2004 unlikely to be seen again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

In football, beating Cork 0-16 to 0-6 in 2003 is probably our biggest upset. That or hammering Meath 4-12 to 4-3 in the qualifiers a few years back. It's hard for there to be an upset against us really... in recent times, we've generally beaten weaker teams and fallen to teams better than us.

In hurling, can't think of any huge upsets. Beating Waterford in the AI semi-final in 2007 was a bit of an upset but it was hardly earth-shattering. Beating Tipp in 2013 was also a bit of an upset, not many people expected it. We've generally come out on top against weaker sides even when playing badly, drawing with Offaly in the league this year was an upset alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Limerick '08. How did that happen? Losing in Leinster to Wexford after being 10 points up in the second half was sickening enough, but not a shock. Losing to Limerick woud have been sickening too, but to be 4-12 to 0-3 down with 5 minutes left was just unthinkable, then or now.

Even stranger is the way that wasnt a bad Meath team, from 2007 to 2010 they reached 2 AI semi finals, "won" Leinster, and were a decent match for Dublin (played them 4 times, Won once, drew once and lost the other matches by 2 and 4 points). But 2008 just stands out as a year to be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Limerick '08. How did that happen? Losing in Leinster to Wexford after being 10 points up in the second half was sickening enough, but not a shock. Losing to Limerick woud have been sickening too, but to be 4-12 to 0-3 down with 5 minutes left was just unthinkable, then or now.

Even stranger is the way that wasnt a bad Meath team, from 2007 to 2010 they reached 2 AI semi finals, "won" Leinster, and were a decent match for Dublin (played them 4 times, Won once, drew once and lost the other matches by 2 and 4 points). But 2008 just stands out as a year to be forgotten.

First two that came to my mind as well when I started reading. Probably could add offaly in 2000 to it as well, though part of that may have been the tank been empty after winning in 99 and the league final going to a replay.

On the other side of the coin Leinster final 96 was a real out of nowhere moment after the hammering in 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

rpurfield wrote: »
    First two that came to my mind as well when I started reading. Probably could add offaly in 2000 to it as well, though part of that may have been the tank been empty after winning in 99 and the league final going to a replay.

On the other side of the coin Leinster final 96 was a real out of nowhere moment after the hammering in 95.

The Offaly losses are jarring alright looking back, its easy to forget Offaly were once a decent footballing county.

Those Offaly losses also really come to mind whenever some uninformed, nostalgia loving fool says "This wouldnt have happened in Boylans time" after the current Meath lose a match to anyone other than Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Galway and 1 or 2 other strong teams. It conveniently ignores that along with great succeses, Boylan lost knockout matches to Laois, Offaly, Longford, Cavan, Fermanagh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭kksaints

Losing to Wexford in the Leinster semi final in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,044 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo.

Biggest upset win was probably beating Tyrone in '04.
    Beating Dublin in '06 and Cork in '11 would also be up there.

Biggest upset to lose would probably be the '94 Connaught final to Leitrim or one of the recent qualifier losses to Westmeath, Fermanagh or Longford.

Bit what do people think overall was the biggest upset in football ?
    To me it has to be Clare beating Kerry in '92.
    Regardless of how poor Kerry were at the time they should not have lost to Clare.

Armagh's QF losses, as Ulster champions, to Fermanagh and Wexford should also be high on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Losing to Kerry in Walsh Park in the Munster hurling championship in 1993. The year before we had won the u21 all Ireland and got to the final of the minor. A new dawn it was supposed to be but turned out to be a disaster. Paul Flynn scored a hat trick but Waterford still lost by goal. Don't think ive ever been so dumbfounded walking away from a game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Mayo.

Biggest upset win was probably beating Tyrone in '04.
    Beating Dublin in '06 and Cork in '11 would also be up there.

Biggest upset to lose would probably be the '94 Connaught final to Leitrim or one of the recent qualifier losses to Westmeath, Fermanagh or Longford.

Regardless of how poor Kerry were at the time they should not have lost to Clare.

Armagh's QF losses, as Ulster champions, to Fermanagh and Wexford should also be high on the list.
    I'd have armagh's loss to fermanagh ahead of the Kerry clare game tbh. Armagh were a decent team back then and were in the 2 previous finals ,winning 1 of them. They were also one of the favorites for the AI that year and had just been crowned ulster champions beating Donegal well in the process.

Fermanagh were on no ones radar. They came from nowhere that year and had a fairytale season. They beat teams they wouldn't of been expected to beat. they could well have caused another big upset too with mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Wicklow beating Kildare in the Leinster Championship in 2008, 0-13 to 0-9. It was Kieran McGeeney's first game in charge, the hype around Kildare was at an all time high, we were brought down to earth with a bang on that bleak day in Croker.

Certainly the biggest shock in my life time supporting Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Offaly beating Meath (reigning AI champions) in the Leinster Final in 1997 and in the first round of Leinster in 2000.

Both were big upsets from a neutral perspective although I wasn't hugely surprised as in my honest opinion Offaly from 1997 to 2006 were a very good team and should have won more than 1 Leinster with the players they had.We suffered an awful lot of narrow defeats in Leinster in that period.

The hurlers beating Cork in 2000 and Clare in 1998 (regardless of the controversy) as I thought we would have been annihilated in both those games.The Cork win in 2000 was the last great performance from that team.

The defeat in 1997 was the year that I think we wore the grey gear, which was never to see the light of day again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I would say that the loss to Meath in Kerry was a much much worse loss, especially in terms of the scoreline and when you compare the quality of the two Kerry teams. Might be slightly biased by the fact that I was at the Meath game but wasn't in attendance for the Clare game.

The scoreline in the Clare game was 2-10 to 0-12 whereas in the Meath game it was 2-14 Meath to Kerry 0-5. The Meath game was an utter hammering throughout with Kerry being 1-8 to a point down at half-time.

The 1992 team was really a team that was very unbalanced in terms of the age/experience profile - it was Jacko (his 16th year) and Ambrose Donovan's last appearance in a Kerry jersey and Seamus Moynihan's first. Maurice Fitz was around the 22/23 mark and was either the 2nd or 3rd most experienced among starters in terms of championship experience. Ambrose was crocked and only get on as a sub. A serious chunk of rest of the team was made of "fairly ordinary" by Kerry standards lads who were pretty inexperienced in terms of the championship.

By comparison the 2001 Kerry team that lost to Meath was much better balanced side in terms of age and experience. The quality of the side was far far ahead of the 1992 team in terms of the available players as footballers and the experience was far greater (without having an old age profile), given they were reigning All-Ireland champions (plus having a nice number who had been there in 1997 as well) and what the team as individuals achieved and what they would go on to achieve.

Declan O'Keeffe
    Mossie Lyons
    Seamus Moynihan
    Mike McCarthy
    Mike Hassett
    Eamonn Fitzmaurice
    Tom O'Sullivan
    Darragh Ó'Sé
    Donal Daly
    Aodhán MacGearailt
    Eoin Brosnan
    Noel Kennelly
    Mike Frank Russell
    Dara Ó'Cinneide
    John Crowley

Subs:
    Tommy Griffin
    Maurice Fitzgerald
    William Kirby
    John McGlynn
    Declan Quill

Serious quality there. While Meath were clearly a better side than the Clare side having a serious chunk of the team from '99 it's interesting to note how little success they had afterwards, most notably in the final that followed

Overall it was just an utter nightmare of a performance from Kerry while Meath were just purring and it seemed as every Meath player was on top form and they just dismantled Kerry.

The Kerry minors had loss the semi to the Dubs by a few points in the opener and the lads watching from the sideline that day included Colm Cooper, Declan Sullivan, Donnacha Walsh, Bryan Sheehan and Kieran Donaghy. It would be interesting to ask the various participants and viewers about their memory of that day and how much it laid the basis for Kerry's success that followed and how it affected Meath afterwards in terms of the final and the following years.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I would say that the loss to Meath in Kerry was a much much worse loss, especially in terms of the scoreline and when you compare the quality of the two Kerry teams. Might be slightly biased by the fact that I was at the Meath game but wasn't in attendance for the Clare game.

The scoreline in the Clare game was 2-10 to 0-12 whereas in the Meath game it was 2-14 Meath to Kerry 0-5. The Meath game was an utter hammering throughout with Kerry being 1-8 to a point down at half-time.

The 1992 team was really a team that was very unbalanced in terms of the age/experience profile - it was Jacko (his 16th year) and Ambrose Donovan's last appearance in a Kerry jersey and Seamus Moynihan's first. Maurice Fitz was around the 22/23 mark and was either the 2nd or 3rd most experienced among starters in terms of championship experience. Ambrose was crocked and only get on as a sub. A serious chunk of rest of the team was made of "fairly ordinary" by Kerry standards lads who were pretty inexperienced in terms of the championship.

By comparison the 2001 Kerry team that lost to Meath was much better balanced side in terms of age and experience. The quality of the side was far far ahead of the 1992 team in terms of the available players as footballers and the experience was far greater (without having an old age profile), given they were reigning All-Ireland champions (plus having a nice number who had been there in 1997 as well) and what the team as individuals achieved and what they would go on to achieve.

Declan O'Keeffe
    Mossie Lyons
    Seamus Moynihan
    Mike McCarthy
    Mike Hassett
    Eamonn Fitzmaurice
    Tom O'Sullivan
    Darragh Ó'Sé
    Donal Daly
    Aodhán MacGearailt
    Eoin Brosnan
    Noel Kennelly
    Mike Frank Russell
    Dara Ó'Cinneide
    John Crowley

Subs:
    Tommy Griffin
    Maurice Fitzgerald
    William Kirby
    John McGlynn
    Declan Quill

Serious quality there. While Meath were clearly a better side than the Clare side having a serious chunk of the team from '99 it's interesting to note how little success they had afterwards, most notably in the final that followed

Overall it was just an utter nightmare of a performance from Kerry while Meath were just purring and it seemed as every Meath player was on top form and they just dismantled Kerry.

The Kerry minors had loss the semi to the Dubs by a few points in the opener and the lads watching from the sideline that day included Colm Cooper, Declan Sullivan, Donnacha Walsh, Bryan Sheehan and Kieran Donaghy. It would be interesting to ask the various participants and viewers about their memory of that day and how much it laid the basis for Kerry's success that followed and how it affected Meath afterwards in terms of the final and the following years.

I remember the 2001 semi-final well, one of my all time favourite matches that I witnessed, we were not given a chance, but there was a sense among the Meath supporters in the build up that we were going to surprise them and boy did we do that.

Worst nightmare at a game the 1995 Leinster final defeat to the Dubs who went on to win the AI. It looked like we were being left behind as regards to pace and fitness (Sound familiar :) ) although we rectified that in 96 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I remember being very nervous going into that Meath v kerry game, I'm not sure it was such a shock. I was surprised at the manner of the defeat however. We were after a couple of AI wins in the previous years and I think there was a feeling that the team owed the supporters nothing.

Losing to the dubs in 2011 was more gutting for me. Partly because we left it after us and partly because we got absolutely nothing from the ref start to finish. Dubs did deserve their win but it was hard to acknowledge at the time. We lost many close finals over the years but that one stands out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I remember the 2001 semi-final well, one of my all time favourite matches that I witnessed, we were not given a chance, but there was a sense among the Meath supporters in the build up that we were going to surprise them and boy did we do that.

Overall I think the general feeling among the Kerry folk was that we should have enough, and then the nature of the defeat just blew us sideways. The fact that we were so completely uncompetitive was a massive blow.

Was at the game with my dad and sister and my sister very vaguely alluding to the possibility of heading away at half-time. My dad didnt even pretend to consider it.
    mickeyk wrote: »
    Losing to the dubs in 2011 was more gutting for me. Partly because we left it after us and partly because we got absolutely nothing from the ref start to finish. Dubs did deserve their win but it was hard to acknowledge at the time. We lost many close finals over the years but that one stands out for me.

I think for a fair chunk of younger Kerry supporters that was the first time seeing Dublin beat Kerry in the championship. Given that and the tight manner of the defeat it was a bit of a sore one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

On the wrong side, I suppose Offaly in 97 could be considered an upset, but you remember it was after 3 grueling games against Kildare and the team was gutted with suspensions and injuries. Similarly in 1991, after the fourth game against Dublin, we then went and nearly got knocked out by Wicklow.
    Had we (or Kildare) won the first game against each other, I think we'd have won the All Ireland.

For me, the Limerick game has to be up there. Limerick were a very decent team back then but to be 19 points down in the closing stages was just unprecedented.

The 2012 Leinster semi win against Kildare could also be described as a big upset. We'd just been relegated to Division 3 while Kildare went up to Division 1. We were also devastated by injuries and backroom turmoil. We eventually went on to win fairly comfortably in the end.
    The 2009 win over Mayo was a good one too. I remember some (not all) Mayo fans talking about revenge over Meath, Kerry and Cork on the way to the title only for them to fall at the first hurdle with David Bray having a stormer.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Fireball07 wrote: »
    In football, beating Cork 0-16 to 0-6 in 2003 is probably our biggest upset. That or hammering Meath 4-12 to 4-3 in the qualifiers a few years back. It's hard for there to be an upset against us really... in recent times, we've generally beaten weaker teams and fallen to teams better than us.

In hurling, can't think of any huge upsets. Beating Waterford in the AI semi-final in 2007 was a bit of an upset but it was hardly earth-shattering. Beating Tipp in 2013 was also a bit of an upset, not many people expected it. We've generally come out on top against weaker sides even when playing badly, drawing with Offaly in the league this year was an upset alright.

how is drawing with offaly in the league an up set, limerick would lose at least 8 out of 10 times again offaly if they hurl them. feck sake we are talking about up sets in gaa offaly drawing or beating limerick is not one nor was 1994 final final an up set :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Kildare:

I would say the biggest upset against us was losing down in Aughrim in 1990. Kildare were coming into that game after a big win away against Wexford but Kevin O'Brien was on fire for Wicklow that evening.

Our greatest upset was probably the 1998 All Ireland semi final against Kerry. Kildare were in bonus territory after the Leinster Championship and Kerry were the defending champions. Niall Buckley was ruled out on the morning of the game but Dermot Earley proved a worthy replacement and got the better of Darragh Ó Sé. Karl O'Dwyer kicked some key scores against his native county.

you would have to say Galways win in that 1998 final was a big up set after kildares displays that summer.

how is drawing with offaly in the league an up set, limerick would lose at least 8 out of 10 times again offaly if they hurl them. feck sake we are talking about up sets in gaa offaly drawing or beating limerick is not one nor was 1994 final final an up set :mad:

Offaly in 94 and Offaly now are a totally different prospect.

I would call Offaly beating Limerick now a massive upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Beating Laois this year, the Independent gave us no chance :Pac:

On the wrong side, I suppose Offaly in 97 could be considered an upset, but you remember it was after 3 grueling games against Kildare and the team was gutted with suspensions and injuries. Similarly in 1991, after the fourth game against Dublin, we then went and nearly got knocked out by Wicklow.
    Had we (or Kildare) won the first game against each other, I think we'd have won the All Ireland.

For me, the Limerick game has to be up there. Limerick were a very decent team back then but to be 19 points down in the closing stages was just unprecedented.

The 2012 Leinster semi win against Kildare could also be described as a big upset. We'd just been relegated to Division 3 while Kildare went up to Division 1. We were also devastated by injuries and backroom turmoil. We eventually went on to win fairly comfortably in the end.
    The 2009 win over Mayo was a good one too. I remember some (not all) Mayo fans talking about revenge over Meath, Kerry and Cork on the way to the title only for them to fall at the first hurdle with David Bray having a stormer.

85 we lost to Laois I think down in either Mullingar or Tullamore, really bad defeat at the time, after running the Dubs close for the two previous years and winning the Centenary cup in 84.
    After what happened in 95 against the Dubs, and with a new young team, the Leinster final win of 96 has to be up there with the big upsets, brought my dad to that one, miserable day, but Fay took care of the over rated Jason Sherlock that day. To me a bigger win that year was the win over a very good and very experienced Laois team in Portlaoise. The Laois tactics were very negative that day and they tried to outmuscle a young Meath team to their own detriment. I have always believed since that if Laois had gone out to play football that day they would have beaten us and possibly they could have gone onto success at All Ireland level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

in recent times...

Roscommon beating Galway in 2001 in Tuam.
    despite Roscommon playing in Division 1 at the time, nobody gave the Ros a chance, yet Ros totally outplayed them with a great performance. Still galling that Galway regrouped and won Sam beating us in the quarter final.

Roscommon beating Sligo in 2010 Connacht final.
    How Ros were written off before this game still baffles me. Ros rarely lose to Sligo, and just because Sligo had beaten Mayo and Galway on the way to the final Sligo were expected to win, pulling up.

in terms of defeats, the 2000 defeat to Leitrim in the Hyde is still embarrassing, mainly because it was actually a poor Leitrim team, as evidenced by their showing in the final. Considering the following year Ros beat both Galway and Mayo.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Offaly in 94 and Offaly now are a totally different prospect.

I would call Offaly beating Limerick now a massive upset.

don't recall limerick winning all ireland senior title of late do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Ah yes, the usual response to a Limerick man with a hurling opinion rears its head on this forum yet again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Between this, Rhode and Kilcormac are you sure your not an Offaly man? Or do you have some affiliation there?

Fireball is on the money, Offaly were terrible this year.

• Advertisement

That's fairly irrelevant tbh. The match wasn't an AI final, Limerick expect to beat Offaly at the moment, that's just the way things are.

In the early 2000s, Offaly would have expected to beat Limerick every time.

Things go in cycles. A few years back, Waterford would have been strong favourites against Limerick, Wexford, Clare... now the reverse is probably true.

Advertisement