Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Morgan Captain of England at CWC 2015

Options
  • 20-12-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭

Who would've thought we'd ever see an Irishman leading the English cricket team to a major world event?
    The boy's done good! Congrats Eoin do us proud but not too proud!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sufa

Really looking forward to the World Cup.

So England have a possible/probable top and middle order of:

Ali
    Hales
    Taylor
    Root
    Bopara
    Morgan
    Buttler

If it clicks, that batting line up will trouble anyone, especially in Australian and NZ conditions where so many of the players have excelled before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah their batting certainly looks exciting on paper. Add in Broad and maybe Anderson back into their bowling attack and they have a very decent side.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

KP has already tweeted his respect for and support of Morgan, suggesting he would jump at the opportunity to play for him .....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Beasty wrote: »
    KP has already tweeted his respect for and support of Morgan, suggesting he would jump at the opportunity to play for him .....

He would say that if Pol Pot was appointed skipper, so long as Cook was gone and Prior wasn't the replacement.

There's more chance of me playing for England in the World Cup than Petersen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Delighted for Morgan (and he isn't the biggest KP fan in the world just to nip that in the bud) hope he does us, em, them, proud!

Good cricket brain and the extra responsibility is something he has done well with in the past. An overdue decision and since Cook wouldn't fall on his sword it needed to be made for him. He can now fully focus on Test cricket which is all he is good for these days, its not like thats a bad thing, I think he is probably the best cricketer England have produced and I am not sure the captaincy suits him in any format of the game. If he could just go back to focusing on the batting that might be for the best, it would be quite the mental test though.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I can see Joe Root getting the Test captain role in the non too-distant future. Equally I see Cook being kept on as an opener. Given his reaction to being dropped from the ODI captaincy they are probably going to have to be a bit sensitive about how they go about it if they do want to change things about in the Test team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

TBH, Given the form he is in Morgs is lucky to be in the team let alone be the captain

I hope he does well but can't help but think a better alternative would have been to get Root to captain and allow Morgan the freedom to re-discover his form without the added pressure of captaincy

booth70 wrote: »
    TBH, Given the form he is in Morgs is lucky to be in the team let alone be the captain

I hope he does well but can't help but think a better alternative would have been to get Root to captain and allow Morgan the freedom to re-discover his form without the added pressure of captaincy
    Part of the reason they are suggesting Morgan was chosen is he has a better batting record when captaining than when not - he has a great temprement and rises to the occasion.

Of course one of the issues with form is you can get stuck in a rut but can get out of it through some external factor. Could work either way, and maybe the pressure of the WC could get to him, but that's the case with pretty much everyone except very experienced captains at this level. He's probably the most experienced (at international level) available candidate anyway (along with Broad I guess) once Cook drops out of the equation (and given KP has burned his bridges).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

TrueDub wrote: »
    He would say that if Pol Pot was appointed skipper, so long as Cook was gone and Prior wasn't the replacement.

There's more chance of me playing for England in the World Cup than Petersen.

Yeah, it probably would not have made a difference, but Kevin may have a stronger cause if he hadn't been so useless in the IPL where he got no runs and lead his side to the bottom of the table and was released last week,, and then did sweet **** all for Surrey as well. :pac:

He is 34 was injury prone, has snipped at a lot of senior players bar Cook and egged on the horrible Piers Morgan to do the same. Good riddance. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah for all his talent and I was very much on his side in the whole sacking fiasco, but England are better off with KP now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Yeah for all his talent and I was very much on his side in the whole sacking fiasco, but England are better off with KP now.

Agreed, and I actually felt a lot of pity for him when initially dropped.

ODI cricket was always his weakest even at his peak, he wasn't a mug in the format obviously, but not a world beater like he was in tests and t20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah, it probably would not have made a difference, but Kevin may have a stronger cause if he hadn't been so useless in the IPL where he got no runs and lead his side to the bottom of the table and was released last week,, and then did sweet **** all for Surrey as well. :pac:

He is 34 was injury prone, has snipped at a lot of senior players bar Cook and egged on the horrible Piers Morgan to do the same. Good riddance. :P
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Agreed, and I actually felt a lot of pity for him when initially dropped.

ODI cricket was always his weakest even at his peak, he wasn't a mug in the format obviously, but not a world beater like he was in tests and t20.

Agree that KP has been a real pain in the a**e with his recent comments on twitter and in his book

But surely the questions for England must be:

-Would England be a better one day side with KP in it?
    -Are there 15 better players than KP in England in the one day format currently?

I still think KP has something to offer at the international level and its a pity that he is not going to be part of the biggest stage in world cricket next month

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

World Cup threads are available to discuss matches. Please don't dig up old threads.

Advertisement