Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best HR band / watch / monitor.

Options
  • 16-11-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

I think this is probably a better place to ask than the health forum; but mods, please move if you feel otherwise.

I want to know what folks here think is a good HR monitor for both running and everyday use.

Background: Started running last year just for my own health and enjoyment. Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago after a run I had an AF (atrial fibrillation, fast irregular HR) which required a wee shock in hospital to correct. Since that I have went the opposite way and have had brachycardia (slow HR). Now I don't want any health advise, I've plenty of that already and ongoing from the good doctors and an overbearing wife :) but I do want to be able to keep an sharp and accurate eye on my HR as I start back into my training, both during runs and for a period after.
    If possible keeping a periodic record of HR would be beneficial. For example being able to look back over a run or a time period to see what the HR was at a particular point.

If anybody has an ideas, suggestions or recommendations they would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I would suggest you pick up a bluetooth HR monitor which you can pair with your phone. You could use a tracking app or a Heart Rate app in conjunction with it. Something like the Polar H7 with the Polar Beat app would both monitor your HR and track (GPS) any outdoor activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

The new ForeRunner 225 has an optical heart rate monitor built into its software and can be used for daily recording of heart rate without the running..
    Depends on your budget really....
    Sorry to hear about your predicament....

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Thanks for the replies. Like the accuracy and price of the chest strap but any idea of how they are they to wear? I normally have my phone with me anyway for music, so that covers gps and fitness app stuff that the Garmin does; plus there's now always the chance that I'll need to contact the good lady to gather me up from the side of the road some day :)
    Like the functions on the Garmin but bit concerned about some reviews saying that it can under report peak HR and doesn't record a minimum HR, both of which would be issues for me. And tbh it's probably more than I wanted to spend, I'm a cheapskate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

James74 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Like the accuracy and price of the chest strap but any idea of how they are they to wear? I normally have my phone with me anyway for music, so that covers gps and fitness app stuff that the Garmin does; plus there's now always the chance that I'll need to contact the good lady to gather me up from the side of the road some day :)
    Like the functions on the Garmin but bit concerned about some reviews saying that it can under report peak HR and doesn't record a minimum HR, both of which would be issues for me. And tbh it's probably more than I wanted to spend, I'm a cheapskate.

Hi I wear a heart strap every time I run and don't have any issues with wearing it, I wouldn't really notice it.

Have a look at the wahoo tickerx, its a heart monitor that will pair with you phone so no need for the expense of a watch, I got mine a year ago , it was 60 sterling at the time i think. It also pairs with with my garmin watch so I use it as my main heart rate strap.

http://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.html

The best of luck with the running.

Advertisement