Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

contacting the previous car owner

Options
  • 21-01-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

I'm buying a 09 fiat from a SIMI garage, the car is one owner and low mileage, but when I asked for the log service history.. they told me it was all on their computer (car was originally sold by the garage new and serviced).

I want to verify its a 1 owner car and the mileage, and the log book doesn't hold this info, the dealer said he would give me the SIMI report. I might run a cartell as well...

Any idea how I can get the previous owners name.. the dealer doesn't want to give it to me for client confidentiality etc.

This might be covered in a sticky but they are over 1000 posts long...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It's the fiat part that would bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If the service information is all on their computer then why wont they just show it to you. If they are acting suspiciously about it then walk away; no need to deal with someone that you are not 100% happy with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

under data protection, they can't give you details in fairness.

also, the SIMI garage thing means nothing...........totally useless to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

deepriver wrote: »
    I'm buying a 09 fiat from a SIMI garage, the car is one owner and low mileage, but when I asked for the log service history.. they told me it was all on their computer (car was originally sold by the garage new and serviced).

I want to verify its a 1 owner car and the mileage, and the log book doesn't hold this info, the dealer said he would give me the SIMI report. I might run a cartell as well...

Any idea how I can get the previous owners name.. the dealer doesn't want to give it to me for client confidentiality etc.

This might be covered in a sticky but they are over 1000 posts long...

Thanks

The VLC holds this information. I think it's section J7. Ask to see just that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

Fiat 500.. are they as bad as the punto? I thought they ran ok if Wikipedia is anything to go by..

I wouldn't take anyone's word for it that why I'm gonna contact the previous owner, just not sure how to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fiat 500.. are they as bad as the punto? I thought they ran ok if Wikipedia is anything to go by..

I wouldn't take anyone's word for it that why I'm gonna contact the previous owner, just not sure how to!
    You certainly don't have to take my word for it and I couldn't advise you on the ex-Fiat owner in question, but based on the majority if ex-Fiat owners I do know, I'd be looking at something else.

The VLC holds this information. I think it's section J7. Ask to see just that section.

Ok thanks I will look into that, for some reason I thought the new format vlc didn't have that.. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

SIMI means absolutely NOTHING. Its just a lobby group run by car dealers for car dealers.

Have a look at the car to see if there is any Fiat dealer stickers on windows or reg plates etc to show where is was bought from, then contact that dealer to ask its service history. Im not sure if Fiat have a central database or not for car histories.

mullingar wrote: »
    SIMI means absolutely NOTHING. Its just a lobby group run by car dealers for car dealers.

Have a look at the car to see if there is any Fiat dealer stickers on windows or reg plates etc to show where is was bought from, then contact that dealer to ask its service history. Im not sure if Fiat have a central database or not for car histories.

I agree..

They actually are a Fiat dealer.. just contacted them and they won't give me the last owners contact..

I'm not sure its on the VLC anymore..

The car does come with a warranty and Nct garuntee so some assurance I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I agree..

They actually are a Fiat dealer.. just contacted them and they won't give me the last owners contact..

I'm not sure its on the VLC anymore..

The car does come with a warranty and Nct garuntee so some assurance I guess

NCT guarantee (as in "it'll fly through the NCT") or it IS NCT'd? If the latter, how long ago? I'd still check it out to your own satisfaction though as the NCT cert means very little really.. just that the car was OK on the day it was presented.

Is it a full warranty or just engine/gearbox for 3/6 months? Also worth confirming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The 500 is not a bad car.
    The number of previous owners is on log book. If the garage have the log book, demand to see it to check owners. If it is the log book belonging to the last owner, their name will be on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The dealer should be able to print you the service history. They can always redact the personal information for the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,137 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sam Kade wrote: »
    endacl wrote: »
    You certainly don't have to take my word for it and I couldn't advise you on the ex-Fiat owner in question, but based on the majority if ex-Fiat owners I do know, I'd be looking at something else.

There is nothing wrong with the 500, it is a great little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the 500, it is a great little car.

Except that it has a Fiat badge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,137 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

goz83 wrote: »

If some people are foolish enough to judge a car by the badge it wears then maybe they shouldn't be offering advice here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

even if you do find out the original owners name and address, will they admit ownership? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you check the service history? Often has mileage noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ask to see the registration certificate. The previous owners name is on it if the garage haven't put the car into their name. Make a note of it and google, directory enquiries or Facebook the owner if you can find them. Failing that write to them and ask them to contact you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If you want to know how many owners for sure just do a carcheck online from the reg? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

goz83 wrote: »

Ah dude, will ya come off it! :eek:

The Fix It Again Tomorrow days are long gone pal. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Also comes with Ford badge. Ka is built on same plathform.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bazz26 wrote: »
    If some people are foolish enough to judge a car by the badge it wears then maybe they shouldn't be offering advice here. ;)
    Positive opinions only :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Sam Kade wrote: »

So go on then. Tell me why it's bothering you....

Advertisement