Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.9 TDI BXE engine problem

Options
  • 15-06-2012 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

My dad has a 06 passat with a 1.9 BXE TDI
    He got it a few months ago after the engine developed a knocking sound.
    It's too late for any come back from the seller but he still brought it back to have it diagnosed.
    He was told there is something wrong with the camshaft and the crankshaft is badly worn too.
    He was advised to find a new engine.
    Does this sound right? Can't the camshaft and crankshaft be replaced? Or would that work out more expensive than buying a replacement engine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The camshaft and hydraulic tappets wearing out is common on higher mileage 1.9TDI VWs that haven't been serviced properly.

Crankshaft problems are few and far between on them though.

When a hydraulic tappet wears through on them the resulting engine noise is similar to a bottom end knocking. So maybe the crankshaft problem is a misdiagnosis.

I would advise getting a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That makes sense alright.
    The oil in it was pure muck when he got it but figured it would be grand since he got a good deal on it and its a VW :rolleyes:
    If it was just the camshaft and hydraulic tappets how much would we be looking at for a repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

tuxy wrote: »
    My dad has a 06 passat with a 1.9 BXE TDI
    He got it a few months ago after the engine developed a knocking sound.
    It's too late for any come back from the seller but he still brought it back to have it diagnosed.
    He was told there is something wrong with the camshaft and the crankshaft is badly worn too.
    He was advised to find a new engine.
    Does this sound right? Can't the camshaft and crankshaft be replaced? Or would that work out more expensive than buying a replacement engine?

They can be replaced, but a new crank is likely going to be over 2k on its own.

Also, if an oil issue(which would really be the only cause) has damaged the crank then the likelyhood is that con rods/caps and other componants that are lubricated will be damaged too.

I'd be asking them for their diagnosis of how it happened though. Some garages are prone just just saying a car needs a new engine as its easier for them then properly diagnosing/repairing it.

tuxy wrote: »
    That makes sense alright.
    The oil in it was pure muck when he got it but figured it would be grand since he got a good deal on it and its a VW :rolleyes:
    If it was just the camshaft and hydraulic tappets how much would we be looking at for a repair?

Unfortunately that says nothing about reliability these days.

The tappets would be pricey enough too although certainly not as much as a cam or crank.

The bare minimum is to replace camshaft, tappets, camshaft oil seal and new oil and filter. We charge around €700 for that lot.

Very often the camshaft bearing shells will be worn as well, add €60 if this is the case.

If the timing belt is due or close to being due then it would be a good idea to do this at the same time as the belt has to come off at least partially to change the cam. Add €250 or so for that.

I'd be asking them for their diagnosis of how it happened though. Some garages are prone just just saying a car needs a new engine as its easier for them then properly diagnosing/repairing it.

I think he was told that the previous owner probably let the oil run very low at some point but I'm not sure. I will ask him later.
    Not good news but thanks for the help guys.

• Advertisement

Also any guide on a price for a new engine if it comes to that?

By the time you pay for labour, parts associated with fitting the engine and VAT etc you will have spent close to €1000. The price of an engine will vary depending on where you get it. Maybe €700 or so would be an average price for a secondhand one.

OK, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jazzyk

This same thing has just happened to my 05 passat, started with a sound like this ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ber08mvVII

Brought to two different mechanics both diagnosed with the same fault. Had the camshaft inspected and one of the lobes is worn down.Timing belt is also due and have been given a quote of 1600 for vw parts and 1200 spurious parts.

Advertisement