Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

06 volkswagen polo advice needed

• 23-01-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi All,
    I'm wondering can someone give me some advice or further info. I am changing cars soon and i am going to view a 06 vw polo, 1.2 litre with 93000 miles, at the weekend (Advertised at €3995)
    These are most of the things i have asked about: previous owners (1), is it his car (no its not he does small time dealing and took as a trade in), service history (full history in log book i have been told), nct (01/14), tax (out since end dec), why it hasnt sold yet (guy works all week and only available weekends) and of course the obvious one, the timing belt as there is 93000 miles on the car (going to speak with him today to confirm if he has done this).
    So with that ramble over, what i would really like is your advice, comments, previous experience, other factors to consider for that year car and i suppose if all seems ok a bargaining tool!!! cool.png

P.s. please forgive me if this post is wrong or not tagged correctly, new to this so tried my best to figure it out!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Best advice would be buy from an owner. If this guy is operating out of a phone box and paying no tax then you're getting the worst of both worlds;
    someone who has bought the car for x amount,
    knows nothing about the cars past,
    Just wants to make a sale
    Will offer no comeback (same as private sale)

If you buy from someone who actually owned the car for years, you can tell a lot about the car from the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I'd be wary of buying a car from a trader like that for the reasons Colm stated above. You should take note that the last time that car passed an NCT would have been late 2011 or early 2012 so 'NCT to 2014' doesn't look as appealing.

There are plenty of other Polo's around this country and I'd advise go either private and take advantage of the lower price ( I'd assume) or go the dealer route and pay a little more for the peace of mind but I wouldn't go in between where you're paying the margin for that side-street dealer and getting no warranty at all.

Tread carefully and best of luck but check out a few other motors while you're at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

As Colm and 166man said be very careful when dealing with this guy. He could be an honest bloke dealing in cars for years or he could be the polar opposite looking to make quick money and not give a s**t about the condition of the car he is selling.

Never buy a car without getting it checked over by a mechanic.
    Also my last car an 05 polo had a chain instead of a belt, so all going well should have no troubles with it from that point.

Not much help from me

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mcnamarak

colm, 166man and ron burgandy II - thanks so much for your replies all valid and valuable points here...
    I suppose just to say, it advertised as a private sale but yes i totally understand the fears about a trader. It was only when i asked questions about the car that he mentioned he was a trader (neither here nor there really i guess)
    About the NCT - Its dec 2014 dont think i said that bit so to my calculations it was done dec of 2012 which is anytime from about 1 to 2 months ago?
    I knew i had to try ask someone on here about this particular polo as there are quite hard to source a good one, what i mean is milage wise all those ive looked at in the areas in ireland i can travel to have had quite high mileage, we're talking anywhere from 110,000 to 160,000 which i dont want!! Also for nothing other than my own personal vanity i like any year above 2005 as i think they improved the aesthetics of the car from then.
    And definitely i will be bringing a mechanic with me on saturday so there will be no messing with that, not worth the risk buying off the cuff.
    I think whats scaring me (for want of a better word) is the price, why is it so cheap for a 2006 - he has assured me that its spotless inside, was a lady owner and the log book is actually stamped by vw dealer, too good to be true right??
    Its good to hear ron burgandy II that you had a good experience with your last polo.

I have to ask a very typical female question here was in the advantage of a timing chain versus timing belt - from what ive gathered if you keep the car well oiled you shouldnt need to replace it???

Kate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why only a Polo, there are other similar cars out there that are more than capable of doing what a Polo can do?

• Advertisement

Ok fair point bazz26 - i guess its mainly as i like them and have had one previously without much hassle...

However i am open to suggestions!! Enlighten me i say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why only a Polo, there are other similar cars out there that are more than capable of doing what a Polo can do?

Especially for €4k....

mfitzy wrote: »
    Especially for €4k....

Why you reckon thats too much or little?

Ford Fiesta. My sister has one for 3 years and never gave a moment's bother.

Ok that's a good option, thanks ill look at them :)
    My old polo did me a great service too. My mam had it for 4 years and i had it for 2 years, sold it to a neighbour of a friend of mine and he still has it going strong with very little. All i had to do was the timing belt at 72000 miles and the usual oil and filter yearly that is recommended for all cars that's the only thing really.
    It is a big decision getting a new car so i do appreciate the feedback from everyone, i will certainly look up a ford fiesta now to see their story...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Maybe a couple of years older, but wont cost a lot more to run and will always sell on again. Good choice out there at your price

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4152500

Even an 03 cooper s for 4k on donedeal at the moment.

If not your thing +1 on the fiesta

mcnamarak wrote: »
    Ok that's a good option, thanks ill look at them :)
    My old polo did me a great service too. My mam had it for 4 years and i had it for 2 years, sold it to a neighbour of a friend of mine and he still has it going strong with very little. All i had to do was the timing belt at 72000 miles and the usual oil and filter yearly that is recommended for all cars that's the only thing really.
    It is a big decision getting a new car so i do appreciate the feedback from everyone, i will certainly look up a ford fiesta now to see their story...

Take it that was a 00 shape polo? A superior car to its replacement imo

I have to admit im not a big fan of minis, sorry if this offends ya its just my taste i guess.
    Also worth noting i want engine from 1.0 to 1.2 for taxiation purposes and dont need higher as i do minimal driving yearly!!

Anyone have an opinion on toyota corolla or nissan almera hatchback or nissan micra 2004+

Couldn't recommend that vintage of almera or micra, 00s nissans aren't as good as their previous models:)

None taken on the mini, there good value right now is all, and i suppose you love or hate them.

Maybe a yaris? Between that and a fiesta, the best of the small cars, the yaris a 1.0, fiesta starts 1.25.

Couldn't recommend that vintage of almera or micra, 00s nissans aren't as good as their previous models:)

None taken on the mini, there good value right now is all, and i suppose you love or hate them.

Maybe a yaris? Between that and a fiesta, the best of the small cars, the yaris a 1.0, fiesta starts 1.25.

Ya yaris is an option... Or a fiesta or all of them mentioned!! My car has a buyer and dont wanna delay her any longer so gonna sell mine, then gonna set up some viewings of the different models im thinking of, in a dealers even just to get an idea of them and go from there :) no rush really though as i have family who've agreed to be a driver for me til i get a car!!

Why buy one at all...id choose to be chaufeurred anyday :D

Why buy one at all...id choose to be chaufeurred anyday :D

Oh ya you'd think i should be overjoyed with the chauffeur offer but alas i am too independant and hate relying on other people to drive me around, need my own freedom. Who wants to stick to agreed time limits for picking up/dropping off, PFFFF not me!!

Suzuki Swift is worth a look at too:

View2-16959563.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4456565

That's pretty i must say... I know nothing about them, performance, specs history etc, so ill have to investigate a bit further!!
    Thanks bazz26 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

My advice to you is to avoid the polo. They are not as reliable as their badge would suggest. They give timing chain trouble and other niggles. The older polo you speak of had a completely diffrent superior engine to these new ones.

If your looking for a small car id be inclined to go with a yaris or a diahatsu sirion. These are both highly reliable cars and will not leave you down.

If you want a slighty bigger car a fiesta as another poster has mentioned are good and are generally reliable. If buying one go for the superior 1.25 engine instead of the old 1.3 pushrod engine.

My final reccomendation to you would be a Toyota corolla hatchback(02-07 model). Like the yaris and the sirion, these are one of the most reliable cars you can buy and offer much more comfort than smaller cars such as the ones mentioned above. These are expensive to buy though due to their popularity and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    My advice to you is to avoid the polo. They are not as reliable as their badge would suggest. They give timing chain trouble and other niggles. The older polo you speak of had a completely diffrent superior engine to these new ones.

If your looking for a small car id be inclined to go with a yaris or a diahatsu sirion. These are both highly reliable cars and will not leave you down.

If you want a slighty bigger car a fiesta as another poster has mentioned are good and are generally reliable. If buying one go for the superior 1.25 engine instead of the old 1.3 pushrod engine.

My final reccomendation to you would be a Toyota corolla hatchback(02-07 model). Like the yaris and the sirion, these are one of the most reliable cars you can buy and offer much more comfort than smaller cars such as the ones mentioned above. These are expensive to buy though due to their popularity and reliability.

the yaris and diahatsu sirion are horrible looking cars. The interior is poor and basic enough finish imo. I'm not sure why your calling out the polo to be unreliable?? I have had an 98 1.4l auto polo, 01 1l polo, 05 1.2l polo and now onto a 1.9TDI golf. All of them never missed a beat, and all very frugal cars to run, while comparing my dads corolla d4d goes no where near the same mpg as my golf. both cars are 2006.
    Any way mcnamarak your are going to get lots of people telling you this car is crap that car is better etc, take comments on here with a pinch of salt.
    Parkers is a good website to look at reviews http://www.parkers.co.uk/
    Good luck with search.

Oh no well that's not what i wanted to hear i have to say about the polo, cos the '00 i had was brill. why do manufacturers do that, have a perfectly good engine and then 'improve' it to a inferior one? Sure baffles me.
    Thanks for the advice JohnBoy26 - however i would have to rule the corolla out as i am selling a 1.4 litre car for the reason that its too big for what i need.
    From this very helpful thread of info it seems to be that toyota yaris, ford fiesta and vw polo are contenders from advice and people previous car history (mentioned particularly above for polo)...

From those three options Id choose the yaris or the fiesta. Trust me them polos aren't that great, the timing chain goes in most of those 1.2 models. The sirion I suggested should not be ruled out either(unless you dont like the looks) as these are the same car mechanically as the second generation yaris so should be just as reliable.

the yaris and diahatsu sirion are horrible looking cars. The interior is poor and basic enough finish imo. I'm not sure why your calling out the polo to be unreliable?? I have had an 98 1.4l auto polo, 01 1l polo, 05 1.2l polo and now onto a 1.9TDI golf. All of them never missed a beat, and all very frugal cars to run, while comparing my dads corolla d4d goes no where near the same mpg as my golf. both cars are 2006.
    Any way mcnamarak your are going to get lots of people telling you this car is crap that car is better etc, take comments on here with a pinch of salt.
    Parkers is a good website to look at reviews http://www.parkers.co.uk/
    Good luck with search.
    Tbh a polo of that vintage is no looker either and they have just as cheap an interior as a yaris or sirion. As for reliability while you may have had a good experience many have not.

As Iv'e already said they give timing chain trouble on the 1.2 models and they have alot of other niggles aswell. Tbh id rather have a horrible looking yaris or sirion than an polo anyday because at least you can depend on them and they are cheap to maintain.

Tbh a polo of that vintage is no looker either and they have just as cheap an interior as a yaris or sirion. As for reliability while you may have had a good experience many have not.

As Iv'e already said they give timing chain trouble on the 1.2 models and they have alot of other niggles aswell. Tbh id rather have a horrible looking yaris or sirion than an polo anyday because at least you can depend on them and they are cheap to maintain.

Thanks Johnboy26 - straight to the point, which is good.
    Im going on the hunt now and need to get away from all this car talk, meltdown is coming to mind!!!! :D

Thanks all, will update if i have anything.

Advertisement