Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 625 points

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aim as high as you like, but be mature enough to recognise if you get to a point where it's not working in certain subjects and know when to stop flogging a dead horse, rather than wasting time on subjects you just don't have a flair for.

Sometimes hard work just isn't enough, no matter how much someone wants something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazzy123

Aksa94 wrote: »
    Really best advice I can give you is don't say to yourself that you know a section and not ever look at it again. For example in English keep revising the same stuff every week. For Macbeth for instance there's really only 7 essays at most to know so write out essays for it and keep revising them constantly and you'll be relaxed and stress free come next June

What are the 7 essays for macbeth? Going into sixth year could use all the help in English I can get :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

Basically, always do your homework and study for class tests. Participate in different competitions like the science or maths Olympiads - they're great for revision. Don't take the whole L.C. too seriously - your friends, parents and teachers will create hype around it, but it's not such a big deal. But make sure to swat up for your Christmas exams, Pres, and devote May just to study. Worked for me, 625, and according to my parents "you didn't even work that much".

Oh yeah, another thing, after the Pres, you'll want to relax and not do anything... For me, March was like a month off. But don't fall for it, you'll start panicking in April-May :D

G'Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LC 2015

Also going for the 625, but I've an extra year to prepare ;)

What I will say is aim for that, but be happy with 560-580 upwards. It's still an incredible result, I'm pretty sure there's no course in the country with a points requirement any higher than that! I know I haven't done the leaving yet, but I can tell from looking at the exam formats that luck definitely plays a part in it. It's going to depend on how you feel on the day a lot too, as well of other factors outside your control.
    To get full marks, your looking at being in the top 0.3% as opposed to the top 1-2% which is still an amazing feat!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Don't mind spurious and everyone else who are subtly bringing you down, if you really want 625 points in lc and absolutely believe you can achieve it then you can. "Sometimes hard work just isn't enough, no matter how much someone wants something." tell that to a winner and see what he/she says. Of course there are certain topics that you just don't have the ability to understand but where there's a will there's a way.
    Also there's nothing "egotistical" or naive about aiming high, these negative replies just show how weak minded people are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

^^^

*cringe*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Don't mind spurious and everyone else who are subtly bringing you down, if you really want 625 points in lc and absolutely believe you can achieve it then you can. "Sometimes hard work just isn't enough, no matter how much someone wants something." tell that to a winner and see what he/she says. Of course there are certain topics that you just don't have the ability to understand but where there's a will there's a way.
    Also there's nothing "egotistical" or naive about aiming high, these negative replies just show how weak minded people are.

Buuuuuullllllssssssshhhhhííííííííííít.

Do you genuinely believe that anyone can get 625, if they have the drive for it? Nothing to do with natural intelligence, study skills and preparation no?

Obviously you need the drive to work that hard to get it, but it isn't a case of just being head strong and confident, you genuinely need to be intelligent.

They're not trying to bring him down. They're encouraging him to go for it, they're just making sure that if he doesn't succeed in getting it that it's not the end of the world, as it's an extremely hard thing to do, hence why so few people around the country do that well.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Buuuuuullllllssssssshhhhhííííííííííít.

Do you genuinely believe that anyone can get 625, if they have the drive for it? Nothing to do with natural intelligence, study skills and preparation no?

Obviously you need the drive to work that hard to get it, but it isn't a case of just being head strong and confident, you genuinely need to be intelligent.

Well when i say hard work i mean studying, preparation and practice. I'd assume that anyone who believes they can get high points for leaving certificate would be intelligent. You don't have to be born a genius, look at a majority of students in Korea, Japan, Finland etc. I'm sure we would get way more than a handful of students who would get 625 points or near if they had the LC system. It's a matter of hard work = preparing, studying, listening etc. Again, if you have the drive to succeed then you will.

*To add, i think it would be pretty obvious that anyone with a drive to attain 625 points would have preparations, study skills etc. .....

Well when i say hard work i mean studying, preparation and practice. I'd assume that anyone who believes they can get high points for leaving certificate would be intelligent. You don't have to be born a genius, look at a majority of students in Korea, Japan, Finland etc. I'm sure we would get way more than a handful of students who would get 625 points or near if they had the LC system. It's a matter of hard work = preparing, studying, listening etc. Again, if you have the drive to succeed then you will.

*To add, i think it would be pretty obvious that anyone with a drive to attain 625 points would have preparations, study skills etc. .....

Yeah but we're not being negative with the OP, we're just letting him know that you can be as prepared as you want but if an exam doesn't go right for you then that's 625 gone. I don't think that's being overly pessimistic to say.
    For example, this year the Biology paper was quite different to anything we had seen before and anyone who was a sure A1 (like my teacher told me I was) could have easily gotten an A2 (like I did) so if someone was aiming for 625 that is 615 right there because one exam threw them off.

Yeah but we're not being negative with the OP, we're just letting him know that you can be as prepared as you want but if an exam doesn't go right for you then that's 625 gone. I don't think that's being overly pessimistic to say.
    For example, this year the Biology paper was quite different to anything we had seen before and anyone who was a sure A1 (like my teacher told me I was) could have easily gotten an A2 (like I did) so if someone was aiming for 625 that is 615 right there because one exam threw them off.

Because you failed to get A1 doesn't mean it will happen to OP. Also using your experience isn't really an ideal model considering that anyone who would be working towards 625 points wouldn't expect the predictions to be 100% accurate. Let's not forget that getting 625 points is not impossible, as proven by past achievers, don't you think that they were faced with a lot of people who doubted them(you for instance)?

• Advertisement

Because you failed to get A1 doesn't mean it will happen to OP. Also using your experience isn't really an ideal model considering that anyone who would be working towards 625 points wouldn't expect the predictions to be 100% accurate. Let's not forget that getting 625 points is not impossible, as proven by past achievers, don't you think that they were faced with a lot of people who doubted them(you for instance)?

Okay, first off, I'm really not appreciating this 'passive aggressive' tone you've got.
    1. I didn't rely on predictions. I relied on the paper being balanced. A lot of people commented how there was a lot of microbiology on the paper compared to previous years and if you were around for the results thread, a lot of people missed out on their A1.
    2. I never said it was impossible. You can't deny, however, that it is an extremely low percentage of people that get A1s and it's little things like a Biology or English or any subject going wrong to mess you up. Or even worse, you could get sick or have a family issue during the exams, you just never know what will happen.
    3. I don't doubt anyone can get 625. I am merely saying that to not expect that hard work will get you there because anything can go wrong on the day.

Okay, first off, I'm really not appreciating this 'passive aggressive' tone you've got.

oooohhhhhhhh

1. I didn't rely on predictions. I relied on the paper being balanced. A lot of people commented how there was a lot of microbiology on the paper compared to previous years and if you were around for the results thread, a lot of people missed out on their A1.
    2. I never said it was impossible. You can't deny, however, that it is an extremely low percentage of people that get A1s and it's little things like a Biology or English or any subject going wrong to mess you up. Or even worse, you could get sick or have a family issue during the exams, you just never know what will happen.
    3. I don't doubt anyone can get 625. I am merely saying that to not expect that hard work will get you there because anything can go wrong on the day.

Lol, sorry if i come off with a "passive aggressive tone" I was just getting straight to the point. Well it's very obvious that we won't come to an agreement, I believe that hard work can take you wherever you want as great men are not born great, they grow great. From your arguments so far it is evident that you don't have as much faith in hard work as I do. I acknowledge this, it's best to just leave things there.

You can't compare other countries grades to ours, especially when they're not going through the same schools systems and sitting the same exams as we are. It's not just a matter of hard work. YOU NEED TO BE INTELLIGENT. It's not just reading books.

Nobody expects the predictions to be 100% true. They'd want to be stupid to believe that. It's not impossible, but neither is riding Kim Kardashian and yet I don't see many of us doing it.

Out of curiosity, how did you do in the leaving cert oh wise one? I'd be interested to see if you got all A1s since you seem to think it's okay to come on here and take a condescending tone with everyone who's trying to offer the young op good advice.

That would be funny if the gif suited the situation. You know the black dudes screaming "oooh" gif are only used when someone is flamed....:confused:

That would be funny if the gif suited the situation. You know the black dudes screaming "oooh" gif are only used when someone is flamed....:confused:

Buddy, you're in 5th year. Off to bed, you have school tomorrow. Stop spouting shíte you have no idea about.

Buddy, you're in 5th year. Off to bed, you have school tomorrow. Stop spouting shíte you have no idea about.

I don't have school tomorrow, I obviously have an idea of what I'm talking about considering I'm a senior. What, are you in 6th year? or perhaps college? Either way you need the sleep more :rolleyes:

I'm glad you took my advice (y):D

I don't have school tomorrow, I obviously have an idea of what I'm talking about considering I'm a senior. What, are you in 6th year? or perhaps college? Either way you need the sleep more :rolleyes:

You've posted in the 5th year OT saying you're in 5th year. You're fooling nobody.

I'm in college. I've sat my leaving cert. I've been through it. And I'm off college on Fridays.

Don't come on here talking down to people and being judgmental throwing other people's opinions out the window, when realistically you haven't been through it and will more than likely be on here begging for the same advice next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Lads-obviously the guys whove done their LC know more about what it takes to get through the LC than a 5th year HOWEVER-The OP asked this back in June-hes probably not on here any more, he has only 5 posts-hes probably not going to see any of this.

You've posted in the 5th year OT saying you're in 5th year. You're fooling nobody.

I'm in college. I've sat my leaving cert. I've been through it. And I'm off college on Fridays.

Don't come on here talking down to people and being judgmental throwing other people's opinions out the window, when realistically you haven't been through it and will more than likely be on here begging for the same advice next year.

I never denied being in 5th year, I just said I have no school tomorrow. I would argue with you but everything you're saying is just a bunch of statements with no evidence. I might as well call you loser who spends his nights attempting to outsmart and insult people younger than him online. Which is not true :)

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Lads-obviously the guys whove done their LC know more about what it takes to get through the LC than a 5th year HOWEVER-The OP asked this back in June-hes probably not on here any more, he has only 5 posts-hes probably not going to see any of this.

My point throughout this is that with hard work and determination you can achieve 625 points, i doubt most of the people who have done their lc that are arguing with me aimed to get 625 points. Also I've acquainted myself with high achievers in my school that got 500+ on their LC and i'm pretty sure they know more.

I never denied being in 5th year, I just said I have no school tomorrow. I would argue with you but everything you're saying is just a bunch of statements with no evidence. I might as well call you loser who spends his nights attempting to outsmart and insult people younger than him online. Which is not true :)

If you get 625 it means you were incredibly lucky all the papers went your way-there! Yes someone who gets 6A1s must have had incredible dedication and motivation and studied their asses off but somewhere along the line luck does play a part-alot of times people who get A2s are just as deserving of an A1 the paper just was not the perfect paper-if you get what Imean.

Also I've acquainted myself with high achievers in my school that got 500+ on their LC and i'm pretty sure they know more.

They didn't get 625 though?

My point throughout this is that with hard work and determination you can achieve 625 points, i doubt most of the people who have done their lc that are arguing with me aimed to get 625 points. Also I've acquainted myself with high achievers in my school that got 500+ on their LC and i'm pretty sure they know more.

Well actually some of the people you are arguing with DID get 500+ and I myself know 2 people who got 615-why did they not get 625-theyve got scholarships galore but yet there was just that 1 paper that damaged their perfect score-those papers did not go perfectyly the way they wanted to despite knowing their material in abundance, inside and out-bellcurve is a b!tch btw-thats whats fecks alot of people over and someone who deserves an A1 can just as easily get a B1.

They didn't get 625 though?

Well they were aiming for courses that required points of up to 490 and they aimed to get a lot higher to guarantee a spot.

OulDublinHead's doing Pharmacy in TCD. Look up the points. There's plenty of lads who I went to school who are off doing European Studies, Law, Science and multiple other 500+ courses, but the one thing they all had in common was they were smart.

Without sounding condescending, we do know what we're talking about. We've been through it. You haven't.

I don't even know why I'm replying to this but I have to...
    I got 575. Now do you accept any of what I've said over the past few pages?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't even know why I'm replying to this but I have to...
    I got 575. Now do you accept any of what I've said over the past few pages?

The achievers in my school got 580, 597 and 584

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement