Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI video failing at certain point in movie

Options
  • 27-10-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭

I've just encountered a strange issue with with my media drive. I was watching a movie and only about 3 mins into it the screen went black. Now I've been buying cheap enough HDMI cables so i've had this happen with games consoles and never really thought about it, just assumed it was a "you get what you pay for" sort of thing.

However this was interesting, in an effort to see what I missed in the movie, I rewound the film and it happened again. Rinsed and repeated 4 more times, the exact same part of the movie was just lost. So I'm wondering is there a something that may cause some kind of a surge for HDMI, something that could overload it?

Or is the lesson here, don't buy cheap cables?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

RedXIV wrote: »
    I've just encountered a strange issue with with my media drive. I was watching a movie and only about 3 mins into it the screen went black. Now I've been buying cheap enough HDMI cables so i've had this happen with games consoles and never really thought about it, just assumed it was a "you get what you pay for" sort of thing.

However this was interesting, in an effort to see what I missed in the movie, I rewound the film and it happened again. Rinsed and repeated 4 more times, the exact same part of the movie was just lost. So I'm wondering is there a something that may cause some kind of a surge for HDMI, something that could overload it?

Or is the lesson here, don't buy cheap cables?

Cheers!

Easy remedy would to be re-transcode the file or re-download , it may be corrupt. Does it fail when played on your computer?

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

akaSol wrote: »
    Easy remedy would to be re-transcode the file or re-download , it may be corrupt. Does it fail when played on your computer?

>Sol

Interestingly no, it doesn't fail on the computer.....

this brings me back to the idea that perhaps there is something in the scene that is overloading the HDMI capabilities

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

sounds silly but try reversing the cable...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement