Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player Problem with iPad with IOS8.1

Options
  • 26-10-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Has anyone else encountered problems in playing programmes from RTE Player using an iPad and AirPlay with IOS8.1??

Prior to upgrading to IOS8 (and subsequently to IOS8.1, which was supposed to fix bugs), all programmes played satisfactorily on my iPad. Now since upgrading to IOS 8, I cannot use RTE Player to view RTE programmes either with or without using AirPlay (which projects programmes to the bigger television screen using Apple tv).
    I can access the start of a programme but when it is interrupted for a commercial break, the advertisments seem to go into a kind of slow-motion whereby the advertising clip itself is shown at normal speed but the on-screen timed countdown continues at slow speed and stays on screen long after the commercial is actually finished before the next commercial is shown and then the same thing happens - so that a three minute commercial break might take ten minutes . Then at the end of the artificially long extended commercial break, the actual programme does not resume. Or else the advertisments are repeated again continuously.

Anybody find a similar problem or got any ideas what might be wrong?

(RTE player plays perfectly well on my desktop computer using Windows XP.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Hi Ernest

Yes - I have the same issue on the iPhone

The one great thing about RTE player up to last week was it was possible to watch a program on demand without having to watch adverts

4OD has had adverts for ages where you are forced to wait 2-3 minutes for them to play and u cant skip them like you can on YouTube

It looks like RTE are now going all out for what must be minimal increase in Revenue

The worst part as you say is the adverts don't work right and it takes 10 minutes before the program resumes again

I have lost interest at that stage

Needs a fix from RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I'm not certain whether the problem lies with RTE Player or with Apple's IOS8.1.
    Certainly I have read about problems with IOS8 and IOS8.1 was supposed to be a "fix" for these.

I too hate having to wait while adverts are played during live programmes and similarly on RTE Player but I could live with that inconvenience if RTE Player worked properly which it now doesn't on my iPad. Presumably RTE are selling advertising time on the basis not just that many people will watch the programmes live with their advertisments but that many more will watch the replays on RTE Player. This however cannot happen if the system doesn't work with the latest generation of iPhones and iPads.

RTE Player itslef works fine on my Windows XP desktop. (I am not sure about how it works on Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows8.1 since I do not have these installed at the moment.) However it would be expected that RTE would keep their Player updated to enable it to be used with updated operating systems as they emerge. This seems not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anybody else finding that sometimes the AirPlay symbol sometimes is not available when watching something on the iPhone on the RTE player. It's wrecking my head. Sometimes the symbol is there and next thing it's gone. Appears to be working all the time on all other apps. Any ideas???

Advertisement