Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a psychotic killer in thehouse or is one cat just glad to see the other?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

About 3 months ago we got a lovely black female, fully house trained kitten. After a few weeks my better half decided she was lonely during the day(the cat) so we got a 3-month old Norwegian forest cat to accompany her. Incidentally, the norwegian is not litter trained yet.

For the first couple of days there was a lot of growling from the first one, but it eased off.

However, now I cant decide whether they are fighting, or just playing quite rough. Like a few moments ago, I was sat on the couch with the 'new' cat who was asleep beside me. The 'old' cat jumped onto the couch, sniffed the new one, and then started biting around its neck. The new cat woke and they sort of wressled for a few moments, and then the new cat hissed and ran away. She is now back to sitting next to me and the 'old' cat is sat on the couch opposite us.

While writing that paragraph, the same thing has happened again. It looks quite violent.

I read online that you can tell its not fighting, because there are no injuries, and no screeching. This is true but it still seems too rough for horse play.

If it would help, I might be able to post up video of their skirmishes for better identification.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It just sounds like theyre "boundary pushing" with each other. I wouldnt worry about it. Its a bit like a game of "who will give in first", borderline painful but not enough to cause injuries. Theyre just pulling rank on each other trying to establish some sort of a boss.

Post a vid for the craic anyway :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

My 2 cats are sisters and they beat each other up regularly.Looks vicious, attacking each other's necks, back paws at full tilt, pinning each other down, thumping each other in the face with their paws, the whole works.

Then a few hours later they'll be asleep in the same bed.

As long as they aren't physically tearing lumps out of each other, they should be ok....at least that's the premise I'm working on with mine, though I do try and seperate them when possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

my cats are together for 3 years and still do this. Sometimes it turns into play, often it turns nasty. As long as it isn't obvious bullying just leave them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The neck biting is a dominance thing, especially if it's biting around the scruff and straddling. If there aren't shrieks and howls I wouldn't be too concerned, but if you're worried you can try a Feliway Diffuser - a plug-in scent-releaser that you'll be unable to smell, but which releases feline happy pheromones into the air gradually over a month of use. With some cats it can really affect behaviour and reduce stress or tension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The neck biting is a dominance thing, especially if it's biting around the scruff and straddling. If there aren't shrieks and howls I wouldn't be too concerned, but if you're worried you can try a Feliway Diffuser - a plug-in scent-releaser that you'll be unable to smell, but which releases feline happy pheromones into the air gradually over a month of use. With some cats it can really affect behaviour and reduce stress or tension.

Sounds like cat marijuana. Sure I might give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

syklops wrote: »
    Sounds like cat marijuana. Sure I might give it a go.

You or the cats?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I think its fairly normal really, my two cats do this as well but ultimately sleep together then for hours. Its like having bold children cos one cant pass the other without the belt of a paw. I think they play turns in being the victim as well and one seems to beat the other up but then its the other way around the next "fight".

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

When I introduced a new kitten to our 4 month old we had much the same behaviour. It's important to slowly introduce; in fact best to separate them for a while until they even get used to the different smells etc. Did you introduce slowly?
    Dont stress over it, it finally stops. took our 2 two weeks to sort out the pecking order. What you need to do is monitor the situation. You will know if it gets to rough as someone will cry and run away instantly, ears will flatten out and they will hiss. If this happens, gently separate the 2 for a little while. But never ever make your original cat think he has done wrong - this will stress him out. Just take him away and play with him somewhere else.
    Its a little bit of effort for a while but it will sort itself out. Try playing with both of them using one toy, teaching them to interact. There are loads of good articles on the internet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Sounds like nothing to worry about. My 2 did this when they were young, they are establishing a pecking order. Belive me if a cats wants to injure or kill it will and you will be left in no doubt as to what it is doing. If any of them walked away without injusry you can take it as ply/rough play/boundry pushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I have the same scenario!
    My female tabby was our first cat, a rescue kitten.
    We bought our male Bengal a year after, and he has been with us for 6 months.
    He grabs her by the back of the neck and holds her down...I think its a male thing, maybe some instinct even though he is neutered.
    They tolerate each other pretty well otherwise, until HE decides he wants to get rough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement