Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Laptop, EU or US?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

Roight, the time to sell up the desktop and get outta this town is approaching fast so I'm starting to look at getting a laptop.
    Now when i say gaming laptop i really mean anything that's gonna play Counter Strike Source adequately, i don't play anything else.
    By US v EU i mean would their be big saving to be made by buying in the US?

Budget then, I'm not really sure at this stage but i would be willing to spend around 800-900 pounds, not sure if that is realistic though? That will also depend on how much i get for my current desktop system.
    So really all i want is something that will jam CS, oh and a higher resolution than 1280X1024, would hate to go back to that ><.

Gonna leave it at that for now, will come back to this on the morrow, just a thought though. If anyone was thinking about selling their laptop and getting a desktop perhaps a deal could be struck, just throwing it out there in case :D.

Advice is appreciated as usual :]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Gaming laptops usually do cost heavily but: Enter the Vostros!!

For E950 I got a Vostros 1500 with 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2Gb Ram, 8600GT, and even including 1 year accidental damage warranty. Screens of CS:S Running:

Nice, eh?

hl22007-10-0722-59-27-14.jpg

hl22007-10-0723-01-11-65.jpg

hl22007-10-0723-04-30-25.jpg

hl22007-10-0723-04-37-21.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Cheers for the quick reply, keeping me up ><. That is impressive and at 950 im loving it long time. There is the issue of resolution but i guess if push came to shove i would sacrifice. I take it Vostro's are something dell have come up with?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yep they are under the business section and are really good value for money at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cheers for the quick reply, keeping me up ><. That is impressive and at 950 im loving it long time. There is the issue of resolution but i guess if push came to shove i would sacrifice. I take it Vostro's are something dell have come up with?

What's wrong with the res? 1280x800 is native for the 15.4" Screen. You can get the 1440x900 screen too with the 1500 for a few extra quid, I didn't bother but CSS also runs perfectly fine at that res too.

edit: Sorry just noticed you said ABOVE 1280 res. Well, as above, you can upgrade the screen if you want, I just didn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I have the vostro 1500 too, diff spec. very nice notebook!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What's your spec nehpets?

HavoK wrote:
    What's wrong with the res? 1280x800 is native for the 15.4" Screen. You can get the 1440x900 screen too with the 1500 for a few extra quid, I didn't bother but CSS also runs perfectly fine at that res too.

edit: Sorry just noticed you said ABOVE 1280 res. Well, as above, you can upgrade the screen if you want, I just didn't bother.

Actually thinking about it i would probably also prefer a 17" screen, i see they do do a 17" version.
    Any gripes about the Vostro? Any downfalls? Gonna spec one up on the dell site now and see what total i get.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&kc=N4X17003&l=en&oc=N1017003&rbc=N1017003&s=bsd

Not sure if you can see that link, works out at just over 1000 euro, i added BlueTooth as well. seem good?

Advertisement