Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory (RAM) issues

Options
  • 06-10-2007 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Have a Compaq Prearion 2100 laptop running Xp Home with celeron 2GHz processor.

It has 256 MB PC2100 RAm installed.

I went out and bought a Crucial 512MB PC2700 stick as advised by crucial scanner, which I installed in the spare slot.

When I scanned again on crucial website it says I only have 512 MB Pc2700, the 256pC2100 has disapeared. So I switched the slots around. Then it only saw the 256PC2100 memory. - so strange.

All this aswell as when looking in the bios it says I have only 192 (64mb set for graphics) - regadless of what order I have the RAM in.

Anyone know how to get the laptop to see all of the memory?????? Think I have done most things!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Has the motherboard got a RAM limit and do the slots have a RAM limit?

2MHz - sounds pretty old/crap lol

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Ok, hands ar eup - you got me extra_ordinary on the typo- should be 2Ghz - but it runs like 2 MHz :) hence why trying to add some RAM!

Had a look around and it should take 512 in each slot!!
    After some more reading it maybe that it just doesnt like a certain typ of RAM ! it wont boot up with only the 512 stick in!

Am going to try get my hands on a 256 stick and see what happens with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Perhaps it doesn't like the mixture of PC2100 and PC2700,does the 512mb show up if you put it in the original sticks slot? Is your bios dedicating 128/256mb of ram to graphics?

Advertisement