Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Powered Laptop

Options
  • 05-10-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi,

All the talk regarding laptop spec's confuses me :confused::confused: A LOT.

What I would like to know is whether I can get a good *blank* laptop or even computer, that is really quick i.e. processes my requests, say if I run web design applications. I will be able to install my own OS, I think

Failing this, even a laptop with XP/Vista. Alternatively can someone tell me where I could get, say a bank's obsolete computer?

Student on a tight budget :( , don't want to be paying huge amounts and the cheaper the better although obviously the better quality as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well I could spec you one up on dell for about €650 or so. It will be good but for everything bar games. What applications do you plan on running on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Have to recommend the dell outlet store for 'bang for your buck' laptops. something like delloutlet.ie. Basically, its cancelled orders and refurbed units, sold with warranty etc. Has to e checked often (hourly/daily) as its constantly updated. Will probably have vista installed, but if you asked for it blank they might do it.

Some people complain about dell, but between the family desktop, and my laptop (both outlet purchases) we have never had an issue with them.

happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Well I could spec you one up on dell for about €650 or so. It will be good but for everything bar games. What applications do you plan on running on it?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not too sure what I want/need yet, might have to take you up on the offer at a later date. At this stage just a load of open source stuff like OpenOffice,Kompozer, SharpDevelop, DevPHP, Gimp, Paint.net, Databases(MySQl, PostgreSQL, etc) and maybe some Visual Studion express editions.

Don't know for sure though, at the moment the computer I have is way too slow, really p*****g me off tonight.

Cheers anyway *thumbs up*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well you're doing come serious stuff on that not just a bit of web browsing and the like. All those things would run on it and run quiet well if you have the money I recommend spending it. What is the max your budget can be stretched to.

Well realistically the cheaper the better but I would be *grudgingly* willing to pay whatever it takes. I don't have a specific budget in mind to be honest!

Totally wet behind the ears but what does "spec you up on dell" mean.

Is it build it as you want it, like.

The technicals of computers drive me bonkers.

• Advertisement

It's not really build your own laptop. Basically you take a look at all the offers and find one that suits the needs of the person and is at a good price.

Cool, will defo have a look at dell so. Not really that imminent so I have a while to play around with if I dont find the right one.

Really pushing my look here, but do you know where I could get a really cheap laptop to install ubuntu on with probably just openoffice and firefox? Mainly this would be for browsing and emails etc.

For that you could do with a second hand one. Try adverts.ie.

Thanks for all your help dude

Any time. Post up the specs and the price here before you buy anything so we can tell you if it's a good deal or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

PogMoThoin wrote:

I know people are probably getting sick of hearing the word vostro but you could get a far better vostro for the money.

Advertisement