Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint Committee on Transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

I had posted the last one already... in the Integrated ticketing thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

markpb wrote: »
    These are well worth reading if you've any interest in transport in Dublin... kudos to the guys who run Garaiste for putting them up.

Discussion with Quality Bus Network Office

Dublin Bus Development: Discussion with SIPTU and NBRU

Traffic Management and Park and Ride Facilities: Discussion with Dublin Local Authorities

I'd add this one which was the initial meeting with Dublin Bus.

http://garaiste.yuku.com/topic/4759

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The main point which I get from reading many of the Committee Accounts is the absolute sense of nobody knowing who`s in charge of what..
    This is added to a sometimes comical lack of appreciation for the realities of Public Mass Transit systems.

Some of the members DO exhibit an interest in learning,but there are quite a few "Why can`t we have more Nipper Buses" interjections too.

Personally the low point for me was the QBN session as we listened to the Head of the QBN office outlining how he has to interact with the various Local Authorities i order to progress the QBN principle City Wide.

Its a far cry from Transport for London so it is......Transport for Lusaka or Lagos might be nearer the mark when it comes to administrating the thing :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

couple of questions :

who's applied for the BX [ Stephens Green ->Connolly ] frequent bus licence as mentioned in the unions committee meeting ?

There's a bailey bridge going in from Hawkins->Marlborough withink 6 months apparently ....

[ hums ... under the Boardwalk... down by the sea :D ]

The other issues that are raised constantly at the public meetings we attend are the need for additional park and ride facilities, integrated ticketing, and automatic vehicle location, AVL, which is a system that tells one the location of buses using global positioning systems satellites. The latter allows the use of real-time information at bus stops that can be accessed either on the website or on a mobile telephone. OneStat and Dublin Bus are due to sign a contract in the next couple of weeks to get that project under way. It will have a major benefit because the trams are currently fitted with this type of system and one can see the priority they get at traffic signals.

• Advertisement

I will move quickly through the rest of the questions. The proposal to create a bus gate or public transport gate at Trinity College should help to alleviate many of the delays encountered in that crucial area of the city centre.

anyone know what that's about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm guessing it's something like a bollard system that physically prevents private vehicles from getting in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

so a bus gate for College Green blocking off Nassau St then ?

Access to Kildare St and Clare St from Northside then via Cuffe St, SSG, Dawson St :):):):):) wheee doggie that's a detour if you're in your own car ... will no-one think of the poor TDs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

trellheim wrote: »
    so a bus gate for College Green blocking off Nassau St then ?

Access to Kildare St and Clare St from Northside then via Cuffe St, SSG, Dawson St :):):):):) wheee doggie that's a detour if you're in your own car ... will no-one think of the poor TDs ?
    Or via Merrion Street and St. Stephen's Green. Or, OR, get the bus / tram.

But how many cars actually need to go to Nassau Street?

• Advertisement

apart from delivery wagons the only one I can think of is the provost's house [ is that right ? ] of Trinity ?

Didnt we try these bollard yokes in Temple Bar and they kept breaking down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I hate to be the one who rains on parties but one needs to keep in mind how our native Planning Professionals tend to use terms such as QBC,Bus Priority etc in a slightly different way to the remainder of the developed world.

Bus Gate is one of these......Dublin City actually HAS one already at the end of Pearse St where Buses and Taxi`s ONLY are permitted to progress towards College Green.
    It consists of a sign and some occasional white lining (when the road has`nt been opened and half-reinstated) and that`s yer lot.

I very much suspect that any further Bus Gates are of identical format...Sign & Line.
    This format works well enough when accompanied by a Garda or Two or in the developed world an ANPR camera,€200 fine & 2 Points....

The sole "Real" Bus Gate we have complete with raising Bollard is out at Blanchardstown and AFAIK is still operational in spite of "Concerns" re liability for damage caused by eejits trying to race across it... :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

idiots being hit by bollards for anyone who hasn't seen it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Cw0QJU8ro

Buses and Taxi`s ONLY
    ... and cyclists too, don't forget us !

There was a copper there this morning handing out fines, he didn't have far to walk from the station ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Fines for cars using the bus gate? I've never seen that enforced before.

ok, disclaimer; I don't know if it was fines ... he was talking to private motorists who'd driven up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Probably giving them directions to the nearest car park :)

It'd be nice to think they were enforcing it though so I'll choose to believe your first post!

Advertisement