Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail online question

Options
  • 03-02-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

Hi could someone help me? I need a quick answer.

When you book tickets online with irish rail.ie, it says u can pick up tickets in the station. My question is do you need the laser card for this or do you get a pin?

I have to buy tickets for somebody in Galway today and I'm in Dublin now, and so is my laser card. They are departing Athenry.

Any help/suggestion appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK the person collecting the tickets needs to have the card in their possession. You swipe the card at the machine at the tickets are issued - similar to the machines in cinemas. This is from my previous experiences.

I must say the Irish Rail site is particularly "user unfriendly" with very little information about online transactions and how it works. Nowhere does it indicate that you will get a paperless ticket or that you have to swipe your card at the ticket machines in the stations.

I suggest that you go through the booking routine and see what happens ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Hmm, I think one of them in Galway will have to scrape the cash together and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks BrianD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

unforuntantly i think u do need the card to swipe in the machine.

Unfortunatly they dont do e-tickets like they do for flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

aphex™ wrote: »
    Hi could someone help me? I need a quick answer.

When you book tickets online with irish rail.ie, it says u can pick up tickets in the station. My question is do you need the laser card for this or do you get a pin?

I have to buy tickets for somebody in Galway today and I'm in Dublin now, and so is my laser card. They are departing Athenry.

Any help/suggestion appreciated.

The procedure relevant to you is to present a credit/debit card and photo ID at a booking office; these need to be in the name of the person who appears on the booking. Have the booking reference number handy with them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How did this work out?

In future, could I suggest that you phone the relevant ticket office and expalin you are buying a ticket for person XYZ who is at the station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Victor wrote: »
    How did this work out?
    I decided not to book the tickets online as I would have been using a laser card and you can't do a charge back with that (from what I understand from a boards thread). If I had a credit card I might have chanced my arm and booked anyway knowing I would probably get my money back.
    Victor wrote: »
    In future, could I suggest that you phone the relevant ticket office and expalin you are buying a ticket for person XYZ who is at the station.
    Can the ticket office process payments without the physical card? I couldn't find a number for anywhere on the site. I don't travel by rail much myself so a bit clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

all you need is the booking id and tell the ticket office. has worked for me before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

You could have had them posted out to you (or people travelling) i think. well at least i have before. possibly too late now though

Advertisement