Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grafton Street Buskers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Has anyone seen the Peruvians (I'm told they are Peruvians by someone on the Galway City forum) on Henry Street with the panpipes, backing tracks, synthesizers, amps and drum machines? It's like a Frank Zappa gig, but ****e.

They dress up as native Americans, play really bad music occasionally staring at the sky with their arms stretched out like they are talking to some god or something.

They are by far the worst, give me a skanger in a burburry cap rapping any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ah yes, wouldn't it be great if all the homeless didn't show any initiative at all. :rolleyes:

If you think his small action adds no value to the City at all, you're wrong. I've seen countless tourists (and Dubs too!) stop by and reflect upon what he wrote. Just because you don't get it or it doesn't affect you, doesn't mean it doesn't add value "to the city". People wouldn't stop to read it if they didn't want to and he would stop writing if people didn't tip him. It's a circle.
    Besides, much better than some poor bugger wrapped up in an infested blanket with a cup, or bothering people drinking/eating outside.

Anyway, what was this thread about again?

The fact that you think that the problem is that I don't "get" it shows ridiculous naivety IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Is atonal-singing-and-stick-banging person still going? Could never figure that out...

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The fact that you think that the problem is that I don't "get" it shows ridiculous naivety IMO!

I'm cool with that :)

I love my city, and all the strange and curious people in it. If I was wrong and you understand it and "get it", I apologise. But I don't think you do ;)

Do you see the difference between a beggar with a cup that sits there and does nothing or the "beggers with an angle"?

One tries something, one doesn't

One uses their initiative, one doesn't

One adds value to their city, one adds nothing to their city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The really loud amplified buskers really should be stopped. The volume means that no other buskers can perform anywhere nearby. There was some beatbox twat making bizarre noises into a microphone this evening outside Weirs. I could hear him in the basement of M&S. I could hear him outside the Apple store opposite Trinity. I'd ****ing hate to work in BT's or M&S and have to listen to this all day.

There was a crowd so obviously somebody liked it but the problem is anybody who doesn't has no choice but to leave the street. Or possibly the postcode.

There has to be a limit on volume. For the sake of pedestrians, shoppers, retailers other buskers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I would spend more time on Henry St than Grafton St, but yeah I know the regulars of both. I was down Grafton St today and the beatbox guy was there. He was very loud, and not good at all. There was a huge circle of people around him, which was incredibly difficult to get around. It's very irritating. I really don't understand why people form such large circles.

I find the statue guys irritating too. They do absolutely nothing all day long. Well fair play to them, I suppose it's the people that actually give them money I find more annoying. Used to love when the pigeons would stand on the original guys head and shoulders, and he could barely move to get them off him, before they shat on him. Oh the lulz.

I also find the chalk writers very annoying. They take up so much bloody space, and then people form this large circle around, as if it's some sort of important monument. He doesn't own the friggin footpath!

I don't really find the acoustic singers that bad. Not exceptionally talented, but not gathering huge crowds at least. Though I do feel bad for the shop workers nearby.

Agree about the polish violinist, he's quite good. though his strings are always breaking :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Peruvians (I'm told they are Peruvians by someone on the Galway City forum) on Henry Street with the panpipes, backing tracks, synthesizers, amps and drum machines? It's like a Frank Zappa gig, but ****e.

They dress up as native Americans, play really bad music occasionally staring at the sky with their arms stretched out like they are talking to some god or something.

They are by far the worst, give me a skanger in a burburry cap rapping any day.

They seem to be everywhere, saw them in Limerick and Kilkenny aswell. They even sell CD's :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I always enjoy the buskers on Grafton Street, I think they create a good atmosphere. I usually take my earphones out when walking down there. I rarely come across someone whose complete **** and I walk down there several times a week. I will say that little kids should be banned. I don't want to listen to three 13 year olds sing Taylor Swift, thanks! Also that guy in the tiger costume who dances around the lamp posts, what is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 UKJon

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    They seem to be everywhere, saw them in Limerick and Kilkenny aswell. They even sell CD's :eek:
    We seem to get them in every English town as well. It seems to be exactly the same set up everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Does anyone know the name of the trad band that does be there most days?
    They don't sing any lyrics just the instruments, some flutes, tin whistle and guitars and the percussion box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There's an episode of South Park that lampoons the Peruvian pan pipe phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I am pie wrote: »
    Who is the header in the tiger suit that prances around near Marks & Spencers...he doesn't like he's playing with a full deck?

Don't ban him tho !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y81CZZwDLr4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yeah, there should be an audition process.

There is, the people on the street conduct it. You know you pass if you get cash, if you get no cash you piss off home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Saw a couple of guys doing football tricks today.

One of them was about 6 years old. It was mental!

More of those guys please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I saw a guy blowing bubbles - he was utter shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

AG2R wrote: »
    They don't sing any lyrics just the instruments, some flutes, tin whistle and guitars and the percussion box

Mutefish I think. They are all right but waaaay too loud; Grafton St is not a rock venue lads.

Delancey wrote: »
    I saw a guy blowing bubbles - he was utter shyte.

Vlad is his name and he's actually from Transylvania!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Degsy wrote: »

I especially liked the part where the fat kid fell over.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Just returned from Santiago in Spain. Saw police checking buskers' permits. All lovely, except the standard was really low. Only one decent group that had an audience.

Grafton Street any day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I love the musicians playing on the street, whether they're good or bad... I remember one Christmas a long long time ago, walking down Grafton Street with my boyfriend.. full of life and people, music playing.. It was just awesome!

Other things such as the guy blowing bubbles or the sand sculptures, I've just no interest in stopping to watch. ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Has there been a day since this new policy came in that the 'amp free zone' at the top of Grafton Street has been obeyed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Saw a couple of guys doing football tricks today.

One of them was about 6 years old. It was mental!

More of those guys please!

Dont like those "freestyle" chaps (havnt seen the 6 year old thought) I think they are a complete waste of people with decent ball control. Id be more impressed if they could pass a ball properly and at the right time.

The guy that does the kick ups with his crutches is impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I love the mix of buskers, good and bad - I don't see how you can "regulate" this without losing a lot of the spirit. I have no time for the statues, the pretentious writing and the sand sculptures - I'd like them thrown into a pit with the chuggers to fight to the death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There was once a four piece quartet
    So a violin, cello, etc

The three lads and the lady were looking very classy, dressed up in tuxs and a ballgowan

Playing all the popular tunes like The Marino Waltz

Raking in the cash and fair play

I remember them years later

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Don't mind most of the buskers on Grafton St.

The ones that annoy me are the ones around the Molly Malone statue hassling the tourists especially the aul fella with the cap and accordian. He seems to sit there most of the time making it very difficult for anyone to take a picture.
    He's completely unable to play the accordian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The ones that annoy me are the ones around the Molly Malone statue hassling the tourists especially the aul fella with the cap and accordian. He seems to sit there most of the time making it very difficult for anyone to take a picture.

I once ran a walking tour from the Molly statue - Most of the guys that show up there are just drunks looking for money - the spoon playing guy particularly - and I'm not a huge fan of the giant leprechaun guy either. While I was waiting for groups, I'd regularly see drunks sitting drinking at the base of the statue, whilst people took photos. That spot gets a HUGE amount of tourist attention and should be cleared out regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That guy with the chalk annoys me :mad: in fact, all but the good buskers do. The only really good one I can recall is the guy that juggles fire, thats pretty cool. Otherwise, when I'm walking up an already busy street, having to side step to avoid some idiot writing about his life on chalk, or some guys in a ****e band, I get pretty annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Lapin wrote: »
    I'll bet you've never actually done that.

And if you have (which you haven't), its a very shítty thing to do.

I inadvertently walked across it while texting one day. I was only few steps in when I realised, but I was mortified! It does annoy me that someone takes over such a large portion of the pavement like that, but I still wouldn't be rude about it.
    AG2R wrote: »
    mhge wrote: »
    Mutefish I think. They are all right but waaaay too loud; Grafton St is not a rock venue lads.

Sounds like Mutefish alright, they gig in bars too, Sweeneys, Mercantile, decent band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I remember during the state visits last year, town in full lockdown mode. Wasn't that gobshíte sat in the middle of the cordons by Molly Malone.

Not sure how he could have made much cash though, the fences had him a good 10 feet away from the passing public.

• Advertisement

pithater1 wrote: »
    I remember during the state visits last year, town in full lockdown mode. Wasn't that gobshíte sat in the middle of the cordons by Molly Malone.

Not sure how he could have made much cash though, the fences had him a good 10 feet away from the passing public.

Saw him more than once pouring vodka into an orange juice bottle before starting his shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're a ray of sunshine aren't you. :pac:

Put them on one of those Viking tour boats with the tourists and anybody else who annoys you and cast them out to a watery grave.

stovelid wrote: »
    You're a ray of sunshine aren't you. :pac:

Put them on one of those Viking tour boats with the tourists and anybody else who annoys you and cast them out to a watery grave.

Dont forget the junkies,winos and other assorted degenerates that blight our beautiful city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

We have the viking tour buses in Liverpool, but we call it the yellow submarine tour :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

dearg lady wrote: »
    I inadvertently walked across it while texting one day. I was only few steps in when I realised, but I was mortified! It does annoy me that someone takes over such a large portion of the pavement like that, but I still wouldn't be rude about it.

The guy writing in chalk is the one who's being rude-it's antisocial behaviour just like begging and chugging or waffling about Jesus over speakers and it detracts from the civic amenity. What do think he is exactly? A tortured misunderstood writer down on his luck or a shyster with a box of crayola? If he has some some inherent need to display his words in public he could get himself something like a portable whiteboard and write on that.

I'm all for good street performers btw-I think there should be more but a line needs to be drawn between entertainers genuinely earning some cash and this type of quasi-begging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not exactly busking, but has anyone else noticed that there's now at least three different homeless guys begging in Dublin with pet rabbits? Maybe the original lad has opened a franchise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

nbar12 wrote: »
    has anyone seen the small lad doing keepy uppy's with his crutches? He's unbelievable
    I saw him in Oslo once. Couldn't believe it! Some of these street performers must do the rounds around Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

CucaFace wrote: »
    Yeah that Polish guy is class.

He can play the even play it by putting it between his knees.

This really proves my point exactly, i dont like the guy with the violin.
    It doesn't really matter how good or bad the busker is. Some people
    will like em some will hate them. You will never please all of the people
    all of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There was once a four piece quartet
    So a violin, cello, etc

The three lads and the lady were looking very classy, dressed up in tuxs and a ballgowan

Playing all the popular tunes like The Marino Waltz

Raking in the cash and fair play

I remember them years later

Think that was my buddy. Off doing bigger and better things musically now
    im sure youll be pleased to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The best part of the new "performers" code is that The Riptide Movement will finally f*ck off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

The buskers aren't that annoying, I usually have my iPod in or only hear the mediocrity for no more than a few seconds. The worst are the idiots who are afraid to stand within 50 metres of the busker and create this 'no man's land' in front of the busker; they annoy me to no end! And then you have the even bigger fools trying to squeeze past the OUTSIDE of this no man's land in order to pass the crowd when there is a perfectly clear patch of the street directly in front of the busker!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Somebody needs to put that wanker in the tiger costume down

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Max___Power

The best thing about Grafton was The Riptide Movement u plonker giblet!!! Get that stuffing outa ur ears ya giblet!!! And for the record, anyone who calls themselves "Giblet", can hardly go around takin the piss outa anyone, especially thee hardest working band in the country!! I'd actually have a little bit of respect 4 u if u changed ur name to " Gob****e"!! At least then everyone would no who their dealing wit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Good to see you reusing your insults (you PM'd me this earlier?) the same way RM reuse stale blues songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I concur, the Riptide movement=booooring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Max___Power

Giblet wrote: »
    Good to see you reusing your insults (you PM'd me this earlier?) the same way RM reuse stale blues songs.
    Just letting the public know ur ignorance gibby, RM playing Olympia Nov10, 1600 people I think might disagree with u!! If u tag along, u never know, u might be converted??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Listened to beautiful classical violin music on Henry Street yesterday afternoon (Saturday 18th August) while the other half was shopping. I have no knowledge of classical music and would love to know what piece the guy was playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

They are part and parcel of the city, the good and the bad. No tourist will have their opinion of Dublin ruined by a 15 year old kid singing wonderwall.

Also, why should we delegate the responsibility for vetting acts to the Dublin City Council (who excel oh so well in so many other fields). Technically buskers are put to a public vote as it is. The crap ones dont make money and don't return. The great ones like the quartets mentioned, make more money and come back again and again. Plus, what guarantee have you that the council would be open to unusual acts, things that break the mould which is one of the great things about buskers and street performers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Remember the Diceman? Sometimes he dressed up as a can of fanta or some other such crap. As kids, we used to run up behind him and kick the daylights out of it as hard as we could. Then, when he was on that ad for AIDS, I used to think I caught AIDS off him because I kicked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I like the old guy with the slide guitar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement