Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

domain hosting page

• 22-04-2015 12:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hello,
    I bought a .ie domain for my business recently without the hosting option. It will be the summer before I have my site ready to go, but right now, I just want a single image to appear on my domain with contact details should anyone click on it. Can I upload a simple jpeg to the domain, or do I have to buy hosting pack to do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hello,
    I bought a .ie domain for my business recently without the hosting option. It will be the summer before I have my site ready to go, but right now, I just want a single image to appear on my domain with contact details should anyone click on it. Can I upload a simple jpeg to the domain, or do I have to buy hosting pack to do this?

You will need hosting of some variety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

But why?

But why?

At the moment you have the equivalent of a telephone number but no telephone/line.

The jpg that you're talking about (or better still a single html page that can be understood by search engines) need somewhere to live. That somewhere needs to be accessible to the rest of the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Set up a blog in blogger.com.

Choose the simplest template. Turn off all the text options. Upload your single image as a header Do not make any posts.

Publish your blog to a custom domain (Settings > Publishing) - and the domain to use is the .ie you have purchased.

Set up a blog in blogger.com.

Choose the simplest template. Turn off all the text options. Upload your single image as a header Do not make any posts.

Publish your blog to a custom domain (Settings > Publishing) - and the domain to use is the .ie you have purchased.

Must admit, I thought Blogger had been killed off years ago. Just took a quick look and it probably should have been.

I guess it's free so it might be alright for hosting a simple holding page. I don't think I'd recommend using it for anything else though.

WordPress.com might be a more up-to date free option or any budget hosting package might similarly suit the OPs purpose and leave growing room for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Thanks for the replies folks, really looking forward to getting my online cat and dog tuxedo business up and running.

Thanks for the replies folks, really looking forward to getting my online cat and dog tuxedo business up and running.

It's not the strangest business idea to be posted around these parts.

I would strongly recommend clip on bow-ties as the default option, claws snag the silk when trying to tie a traditional bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graham wrote: »
    WordPress.com might be a more up-to date free option or any budget hosting package might similarly suit the OPs purpose and leave growing room for the future.

Let's leave the WordPress religious zealorty for some other place.

Simple fact: Wordpress does NOT allow you to use a custom domain for free. Blogger does.

No matter what other features they do or don't have, only one of 'em fits the OP's stated requirement.

If you can suggest another option that meets the OPs stated requirement, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Let's leave the WordPress religious zealorty for some other place.

If that's targetted in my direction I would point out that my original posts mentioned NO providers.

The only reason I mentioned WordPress at all is because you directed the OP to a virtually obsolete blogging platform with absolutely no room for movement in any direction anywhere in the future (apart from off the platform). The only basis for this recommendation appears to be an imaginary requirement that the solution be free because I can think of no other earthly reason why anyone would make such a recommendation. In that context, WP is a better solution.

I think the OPs best bet is to pay for a very small hosting package with any of the reputable providers as I also suggested in my last post. I would make a recommendation for 1 or 2 but that would be against the forum charter.

The OP could also consider one of the dedicated launch page services, LaunchRock comes to mind but there are lefty of free and paid alternatives.

Now lets leave the accusations of WP zealotry out of the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

As per the charter:
    Discussion or recommendation of web hosting companies, or the packages offered by various web hosts is not permitted on boards.ie owing to a long, long history of these types of threads not working. This is non-negotiable.

I think OP got sorted anyway.

Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement