Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

All in all wrote: »
    I got a replacement screen in a place at bottom of Cashel Road beside Lyons, worked fine.

Second these guys. They’re very good. The phone doctor on the the narrow st is also good

A new Islamic Cultural Centre in Irishtown, Clonmel, has received the go-ahead from An Bord Pleanála.

A large group of local residents had opposed the building of the new centre, which will include prayer rooms for Muslims.

Planning permission had been granted by Tipperary County Council.

Locals claimed the proposed development should more correctly be described as a mosque, as it would be used between 6am and 10pm with prayers five times daily.

However an inspector with An Bord Pleanála said the building was not a traditional mosque and its description as a cultural centre was “accurate and acceptable”.

The plans provide for the demolition of an existing derelict building and the construction of a new two-storey centre, which will provide for a number of activities including prayers, mother and toddler groups, breastfeeding facilities, a library, canteen and youth club.

The board ruled that the centre, subject to a number of planning conditions, would not seriously injure residential or visual amenities of adjoining properties.

It claimed the proposed building represented “an appropriate type and scale of development at this location and would be acceptable in terms of pedestrian and traffic safety and convenience”.

Residents from Irishtown, Albert Street and St. Mary’s Place in Clonmel complained the centre, including the prayer rooms, would generate a lot of additional noise and disturbance, as well as traffic in an already congested area.

More than 200 local residents had signed submissions, which also raised concern that the new building would overshadow other houses.

They claimed older people living in Irishtown would be nervous that people would be in their area late at night or in the early hours of the morning.

The objectors said the council’s decision to approve the project was “outrageous” and “absolutely mind-boggling” especially as it had refused planning permission for four two-bed townhouses a short distance away because it would create a traffic hazard.

The Tipperary Islamic Cultural Centre, a registered charity, which is currently based at a smaller premises at the corner of O’Connell Street and Mary Street in Clonmel, provided reassurance to the planning authorities that there would be no amplified call to prayer from the new centre.

It claimed the largest number attending prayers would be up to 50 on a Friday afternoon.

The centre pointed out that half the Muslim community in Clonmel consisted of doctors working in South Tipperary General Hospital, where there was also a room for prayer.

The centre said there were a number of potential misunderstandings about the sort of activities that would be carried out in the centre and concerns that there would be hoards of people accessing the building throughout the night were “incorrect and unfounded”.

It also noted that the height of the cultural centre would only be slightly higher than the existing building on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭klose

People on facebook would have to believe ISIS are moving to clonmel with that news, it's a shame how racist people are these days to Muslim people.

klose wrote: »
    People on facebook would have to believe ISIS are moving to clonmel with that news, it's a shame how racist people are these days to Muslim people.

I’m not a bit racist, but parking is already a nightmare. I don’t think anywhere near Irishtown is a suitable location for that reason alone

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’m not a bit racist, but parking is already a nightmare. I don’t think anywhere near Irishtown is a suitable location for that reason alone

I was passing down Irishtown last week..I see that pay as you go auto are there now...How do they manage for space for cars there...They had plenty space at the roundabout...Do they stock the cars elsewhere?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

I was passing down Irishtown last week..I see that pay as you go auto are there now...How do they manage for space for cars there...They had plenty space at the roundabout...Do they stock the cars elsewhere?..

Yes, I did see another garage around town with PAYG logo but can't for the life of me remember where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

cml387 wrote: »
    Yes, I did see another garage around town with PAYG logo but can't for the life of me remember where it was.

Think it could possibly be up in Gurtnafleur where Mark Hassett used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

is there one on the carrigeen road roundabout where Mordaunts used to be? I've not been in that part of town for a while but thought I saw it a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I would think that the NoX tax for imported cars which came in to effect at the start of this year put paid to the business of importing used cars as it was designed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Timistry

Looking to get Fibre Broadband. Who is the best provider in terms of speed and reliability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Timistry wrote: »
    Looking to get Fibre Broadband. Who is the best provider in terms of speed and reliability?

I have Digiweb have found their customer service and the equipment they supply to be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭All in all

Virgin are generally the quickest if available, The other providers are using Eir network, so whichever is offering the best deal. I got quite a good bundle package from sky if you need tv and phone also.

Virgin are supplied via SIRO and apparently sky are too. Sky is cheaper but I hear the router is crap

Eir is just a massive no in terms of internet and customer service, switched to sky years back and have never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Virgin are supplied via SIRO and apparently sky are too. Sky is cheaper but I hear the router is crap

Virgin have their own network and don’t use anyone else’s network.

SIRO is owned by the ESB and Vodafone but there are a number of companies selling it in Clonmel.

Eir have some fibre to home in Clonmel but it is a lot less than houses than can connect to SIRO or virgin

It really depends on where the OP is in town as to what is available. SIRO and Eir fibre to home offer the fastest speeds. If you input your eir code on the SIRO website it’ll tell you if it is available at your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

julyjane wrote: »
    is fuzzd up still there? behind McDonald's. If they can't do it they'll certainly direct you to someone who can
    All in all wrote: »
    I got a replacement screen in a place at bottom of Cashel Road beside Lyons, worked fine.
    Second these guys. They’re very good. The phone doctor on the the narrow st is also good

thanks for the info guys, I got my phone fixed :D

F34 wrote: »
    Virgin have their own network and don’t use anyone else’s network.

SIRO is owned by the ESB and Vodafone but there are a number of companies selling it in Clonmel.

Eir have some fibre to home in Clonmel but it is a lot less than houses than can connect to SIRO or virgin

It really depends on where the OP is in town as to what is available. SIRO and Eir fibre to home offer the fastest speeds. If you input your eir code on the SIRO website it’ll tell you if it is available at your address.

Vodafone, Sky and Pure Telecom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Planet playground closing down cos of high insurance costs I hear, insurance companys are pure robbers.

tippspur wrote: »
    Planet playground closing down cos of high insurance costs I hear, insurance companys are pure robbers.

I’m not disagreeing, I don’t love insurance companies, but the robbers are the dopes who make claims against these places and get payouts because little Johnny or Mary fell over and hurt themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I’m not disagreeing, I don’t love insurance companies, but the robbers are the dopes who make claims against these places and get payouts because little Johnny or Mary fell over and hurt themselves.

The solicitors that represent them and the judges awarding them have a lot to answer for as well.

It's a disgrace that businesses like this are suffering.

• Advertisement

marvin80 wrote: »
    The solicitors that represent them and the judges awarding them have a lot to answer for as well.

It's a disgrace that businesses like this are suffering.

Absolutely. It’s really annoying to hear everyone complaining about the bad guy insurance companies without thinking of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Hmmm Insurance companies have a lot to answer for also I would say. I'm witnessing some really poor behavior from a company at the moment really disgraceful. Doesn't involve me thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

You must not have the interview on tipp fm today to make that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

MIKEKC wrote: »
    You must not have the interview on tipp fm today to make that statement
    Tell us more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Tell us more then.

The 9-minute interview is at https://soundcloud.com/tippfmradio/tipp-todaytipperary-business-will-close-its-doors-due-to-spiraling-insurance-costs

Besides rising insurance costs due to three open claims from 2014-2017, the interviewee mentions that a 4% VAT increase and a minimum wage increase have contributed to making the business unsustainable. The playground will close 29 February for stripping. He has a mortgage on the building and will put it on the market for leasing. The cafe will stay open during March and possibly April. He'll explore whether it can be kept running, but doesn't sound optimistic. Listen to the interview for more details.

I sympathise with them but citing the minimum wage increase is laughable, you'd pay people less only it's the law basically. If you can't afford to pay people a decent wage you can't afford a business IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Is there snooker tables in the bowling alley place out the road to Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

US2 wrote: »

I haven't been there, however, their website doesn't mention snooker. There is a pool table in the picture gallery.
    http://www.hotshotsbowling.com/gallery.html#PhotoSwipe1581095066902

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

US2 wrote: »

No - Circles the only place with Snooker tables in Clonmel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

klose wrote: »
    Eir is just a massive no in terms of internet and customer service, switched to sky years back and have never had any issues.

Virgin are a packet of Basterds too

Advertisement