Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

On another note, I heard strong rumours that we may see the Post House back open in the near future and as a pub..

Any update on these strong rumours Darragh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Xenophile wrote: »
    Exit 6 on the M50 is just beside the Phoenix Park .

Why would you pass through the toll on the m50 when there is no need?

Anyways, all of this is getting off the thread topic so ive said enough on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Loughc wrote: »
    Any update on these strong rumours Darragh?

Nothing since I'm afraid, I'm beginning to question how strong they were to be honest. I did see lads working in there a while back but nothing since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Nothing since I'm afraid, I'm beginning to question how strong they were to be honest. I did see lads working in there a while back but nothing since.

I'd say it was the usual town rumours that grow legs like back in the day before the Showgrounds Shopping Centre was built every empty building was where Argos was going haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I'd say it was the usual town rumours that grow legs like back in the day before the Showgrounds Shopping Centre was built every empty building was where Argos was going haha.

Where's DID going? :-)

Seriously I hear they are coming back to Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

touts wrote: »
    Where's DID going? :-)

Seriously I hear they are coming back to Clonmel.

July, Poppyfields I believe.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Up to 200 jobs being lost in Clonmel at the end of the month in Intellacom and not a word about it in the local papers or on local radio.

tippspur wrote: »
    Up to 200 jobs being lost in Clonmel at the end of the month in Intellacom and not a word about it in the local papers or on local radio.

Is intellicom closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Is intellicom closing?

Could just be UPC, they'll be fully moved over to the South American operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Intellicom call centre closing for good this Sunday....UPC have outsourced all work to the Phillipines - the place must have employed about 1500 people in Clonmel and provided jobs for most of South Tipp through the years.

This was raised with Tipp Fm, other press, Enterprise boards and local TD's at the time of announcement 2/3 months ago

• Advertisement

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Intellicom call centre closing for good this Sunday....UPC have outsourced all work to the Phillipines - the place must have employed about 1500 people in Clonmel and provided jobs for most of South Tipp through the years.

This was raised with Tipp Fm, other press, Enterprise boards and local TD's at the time of announcement 2/3 months ago

Wow awful news, I worked there under their previous name when I was in college. Alot of friends of mine worked there throughout the year, sad to see it go, but the nature of the business meant they were always losing one contract away from closing down.

Wow awful news, I worked there under their previous name when I was in college. Alot of friends of mine worked there throughout the year, sad to see it go, but the nature of the business meant they were always losing one contract away from closing down.

yep and unfortunately no chance of them getting a new contract in such a short time frame from when Upc announced outsourcing...Clonmel did not get mentioned at the time in March

Lot of people have got alternative employment in the call centres in Waterford though(tech mahindra/Eishtec)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

I hear Elvery's are leaving Market Place and moving to the old Menary's building on O'Connell Street; good fo the main street but a further nail in Market Place's coffin.

Jeez Market Place will end up with only Larkins and O'tuamas at this rate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    I hear Elvery's are leaving Market Place and moving to the old Menary's building on O'Connell Street; good fo the main street but a further nail in Market Place's coffin.

To be honest you can't blame them,you get no passing trade there when people have no reason to pass down market place. The Menarys unit would be a perfect for for Elverys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Jim Bowen wrote: »

That's good news for the main street and should allow them to sell a lot more items like the other larger stores.
    The building must've finally got a bill of clean health. There was serious issues with planning and fire compliance due to the way the developer threw it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

market place is a sad sight to see compared to years ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah. It could be such a buzzing place. Nothing wrong with the set up imo. Would love to see shops returning there.

Isn't it something to do with the exorbitant rates charged for market place. Something really needs to be done about them.

Isn't it something to do with the exorbitant rates charged for market place. Something really needs to be done about them.

They've lost Ger Ambrose, the Newsagents and now Elverys in a reasonably short period of time. Sad, really. It could be a lively centre, but it has no soul now.

• Advertisement

I never got this mentality from the county council they won't budge on the rates but yet they are currently collecting €0. If they slashed the rates there's a good chance new tenants will come onboard and they'll be collecting something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Agreed. It just doesn't make sense. To have the town centre, and every area in the town centre, buzzing would get them so much more. Is it just a complete lack of vision, or just internal politics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pity to hear about Intellicom closing down. Worked there when I was on a year out of college a few years ago.

Handy work for what it was. Lot of friends working there who'll be stuck for a job now over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

July, Poppyfields I believe.

Same franchised ownership that resulted in its closure or have DID got complete control of it now?

They've lost Ger Ambrose, the Newsagents and now Elverys in a reasonably short period of time. Sad, really. It could be a lively centre, but it has no soul now.

The Newsagent's is still there, relocated some time ago and is now just opposite the door to Super Value.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

The Newsagent's is still there, relocated some time ago and is now just opposite the door to Super Value.

Thanks. I thought it was only a candle shop now!

callaway92 wrote: »
    Pity to hear about Intellicom closing down. Worked there when I was on a year out of college a few years ago.

Handy work for what it was. Lot of friends working there who'll be stuck for a job now over the summer.

I believe they brought in nearby call centres to try and hire as many of the intellicom staff. I heard a lot of them were able to relocate, albeit to waterford, but still a jobs a job..

I believe they brought in nearby call centres to try and hire as many of the intellicom staff. I heard a lot of them were able to relocate, albeit to waterford, but still a jobs a job..

Tech Mahindra recruited a good few....paying minimum wage though if not management so commuting not an option...few moving to Waterford though.

Another blow to Clonmel regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Good to hear

• Advertisement

Same franchised ownership that resulted in its closure or have DID got complete control of it now?

As far as I know DID have control !

Advertisement