Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I make a website

• 04-05-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I want to no how to make a website that I could make money off by writing about what I enjoy. I want to make a website that on the left hand side of the screen I can put models and makes of cars and you can scroll down and see them all and when you click into that car model there will be a page of info on the car and pictures of the car. And how do you make it look professional.
    thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Do you know any programming languages?...

If your not a web designer then WIX is kind of cool, you can design your own site with out any of the backend coding stuff, does cost money though... plenty of similar sites

If you are planning on coding it your self, making it professional looking would generally come from the usability side of things- wire framing, designing for the potential user, then fonts, colour schemes, branding etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thehippopop

Ye I don't no any coad

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thehippopop

And can you make what I want one that website

Then I would recommend looking into something like wix or one of those blog creation sites - look up sites that are of a similar theme/nature to that which you plan on making, keep it as clean and simple as possible

• Advertisement

The website you want to make sounds more like a blog and yes that would be very simple for a web designer to make, but alternatively it could be made very easily using a website templates site from which you can publish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

I'd strongly suggest using Wordpress. You can use one of hundreds of designs, it is possible to install hundreds of widgets to do things including displaying ads if you want to do that.

When it's set up it's as easy as using Microsoft Word to add articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GJG wrote: »
    I'd strongly suggest using Wordpress. You can use one of hundreds of designs, it is possible to install hundreds of widgets to do things including displaying ads if you want to do that.

I would agree, provided you either use wordpress.com (and so your site will be called WHATEVER.wordpress.com), and that you have the have the technical nous to use wordpress.org, including:
    • Making sure that your chosen host has an update-to-date Wordpress installation, and
    • Making sure that every widget (plug-in in Wordpress terms) you use is also up-to-date with the current Wordpress version - and commit to checkign this every month or so and to removing any that are not kept up to date, and
    • Making sure you understand how to back-up your site, and restore it from the backup.

If do you don't feel that you can learn how to do this, then Wordpress is not suitable for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi I want to no how to make a website that I could make money off by writing about what I enjoy.

How are you planning to make money off your website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hi I want to no how to make a website that I could make money off by writing about what I enjoy. I want to make a website that on the left hand side of the screen I can put models and makes of cars and you can scroll down and see them all and when you click into that car model there will be a page of info on the car and pictures of the car. And how do you make it look professional.
    thank you.

Well first you need to learn how to use photoshop or fireworks or another design package. Then you have to learn about user centred design. Then you need to learn html, css and a bit of jQuery at a minimum. Then you need to lean PHP, ASP, Coldfusion or another language that interacts with a database (You'll need to know ho to build a database too). You might want to read up on digital marketing to learn about SEO and directing traffic to your site. Or you could learn a bit and then get a wordpress template. Either way it will involve learning something.

Or you know, you can just hire someone who's spent years doing all of this to do it for you.

If it was as easy as your post suggests it is, then everyone would be doing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Folks, just to give context, I think OP is a young teenager/student, so lets keep that in mind and try to be constructive. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Gaz wrote: »

This website alone has gotten me through a couple of web design modules in college. It's very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If it's for a one-off website, there's no real need to learn html, php, js, css and other coding stuff, though learning some graphics manipulation would be a good idea. Just use WordPress. Avoid wix, it's poor.

Lastly, you'll need to get a large number of visitors/pageviews if you're to make a bit of dosh from the likes of AdSense. If you make over a handful of dollars per 1000 pageviews (impression) you'd be getting a good rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

Try weebly.com. i have a site there,its very goodv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

for what you want probably something like weebly would be ok and you can get your own domain name too my photography club has one of them and it looks good
    wordpress.com let you have your own domain name too so that would be a good idea. it means in the future you can easily transfer it to a self hosted wordpress installation.

OP have a look at each of the suggested sites and see if they work for you

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

What you describe, sounds more like a blog. You can find a wordpress blog theme that allows latest blog pots with featured image as thumbnail on the side bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

I would agree, provided you either use wordpress.com (and so your site will be called WHATEVER.wordpress.com), and that you have the have the technical nous to use wordpress.org, including:
    • Making sure that your chosen host has an update-to-date Wordpress installation, and
    • Making sure that every widget (plug-in in Wordpress terms) you use is also up-to-date with the current Wordpress version - and commit to checkign this every month or so and to removing any that are not kept up to date, and
    • Making sure you understand how to back-up your site, and restore it from the backup.

If do you don't feel that you can learn how to do this, then Wordpress is not suitable for you.

This is important advice, but maybe a little out of date. (Perhaps depending no your internet host) The updating of WordPress itself should now happen automatically; WordPress now also displays an alert to administrators when there is an update for a widget or theme. Both can be updated in one or two clicks. It is strongly advised to stay up-to-date.

Most hosts also provide a quick solution to back up your database (the content of your articles).

I would suggest WordPress because it is easy to start off, and there is plenty to keep learning to do new stuff.

Advertisement