Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Struggling LGBT group!

• 01-12-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone!

I was hoping you lovely people might be able to offer some advice.

My local rural LGBT social/support group is struggling at the moment and I thought it might help to hear what people want from a group like this?
    I understand different areas and people need different things, but general improvements can be made that will benefit current members and encourage new ones to join and hopefully see the group grow, I'm just not sure what they are?
    I would really hate to see the area lose the group so I appreciate any suggestions or info from people involved in similar situations or ideas from people who would attend groups like this and things they feel would make it better.

Thanks you,
    Sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ideas off the top of my head

Different events

For example I think Chiarrai amach or sunrise lgbt kildare do bowling with some of the local community gardai. It also gives them a chance to learn who the lgbt liaison officer is.

Maybe do specific nights for certain groups e.g. a womens night or a youth night or older persons night.

Contact existing lgbt groups and ask them what they do.

There are groups in
    Wicklow - lgbt arklow
    Kildare - Sunrise lgbt
    Louth - Dundalk outcommers
    kerry - Chiarrai amach
    Galway - cant think of name
    Tipperary - Cant think of name
    Mayo - Tost?
    Leitrim or Longford?
    midlands walkin

Do a google form and ask your members what they would like to do with the group

Get speakers in on topics - e.g. host a public meeting on the referendum next year or you could have an informal with the local garda lgbt liaison officer

Do some campaigning for the referendum next year!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SMcG24

Thank you so much Joeytheparrot,loads of great info there. Looks like I'll be busy and hopefully I can get the current members and committee to try some new things and get the group back on its feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rooroo

Can I ask what exactly are you struggling with? Is it the numbers or something?

I found with my college society people can be a bit hesitant with the whole LGBT name on a group, most colleges uses different names like Galway's is called G.I.G (Gay in Galway I think) and IT Blanchardstown is called Colours. If you try a name like that maybe you'll get more.

Try making posters about the group and put them in your local shops and schools. Also the newspaper too, maybe other youth group organisations in your area might help promote your group by posting on Facebook/Twitter

Meeting up with other groups might be a good idea as well too.

I've started a LGBT youth group as well with Foróige and the way we do it there is that the kids get to run the club, they have a committee that would meet and talk about anything like events/fundraising. The youth leaders are just there to facilitate.

Hope that helps

P.S
    We'll be having a Christmas party/Rainbow disco for our group if you's are able to travel. We're based in Hartstown Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rooroo

Also I know a few people that do talks with youth groups and others if you need any

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SMcG24

Thanks rooroo, I appreciate the feedback.
    The group I'm involved with is in a small town with no college, and for some reason, the committee are unwilling to get involved in anything to do with youth groups/schools or to set up a youth version of the group. They are having a problem with getting numbers up and with getting anyone under 30/35 to attend, especially women. I think they may have got too comfy just sitting chatting and drinking tea. I'd love to work with younger people as I believe if they are involved things are fresh and will grow, and I think a variety of events may help bring in a better mix of people..but I'm not sure how willing the group are to push and publicize. They stay pretty low key....:/

• Advertisement
Advertisement