Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved frm eircom to upc,alarm wont text us

Options
  • 18-12-2014 10:32pm
    Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭

We just moved from Eircom to UPC.When with Eircom the HKC alarm would send us a text if it was triggered.Since moving to UPC the alarm doesnt send us the text.We set if off to see if it would send a text but it didnt.
    How do I get the alarm set back up with the UPC box?
    Theres 2 spare cat5 cables sitting there at the UPC box doing nothing both of these cables go back up to the attic,so can these be used to hok up the alarm to the UPC?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can not send texts over a UPC line.
    Best to use a voice dialler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Is there a SIM card in the alarm? Could it be out of credit?

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

When the alarm would trigger the eircom house number would send us a text saying the alarm was triggered and it would say the exact zone that was triggered.
    The UPC lad came out and installed UPC phone and broadband router downstairs for us,but since then we dont get any warning when the alarm triggers.
    So what do I need to do to get things sorted?
    Is it something I can do myself as Im handy enough at diy and theres 2 spare cat5 cables sitting there doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

When the alarm would trigger the eircom house number would send us a text saying the alarm was triggered and it would say the exact zone that was triggered.
    The UPC lad came out and installed UPC phone and broadband router downstairs for us,but since then we dont get any warning when the alarm triggers.
    So what do I need to do to get things sorted?
    Is it something I can do myself as Im handy enough at diy and theres 2 spare cat5 cables sitting there doing nothing.

Texting cannot and will not work on UPC limes no matter what you do with your cables.

You will have to get an audio dialler unit installed and connected up with your alarm system

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

UPC and eircom phone solutions are completely separate and are not connected (physically) in any way. UPC phone goes over their coax cable while eircom phone goes over a copper wire pair. You can connect a pots dialler from an alarm to UPC, have a look at KoolKids signature for the link.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    UPC and eircom phone solutions are completely separate and are not connected (physically) in any way. UPC phone goes over their coax cable while eircom phone goes over a copper wire pair. You can connect a pots dialler from an alarm to UPC, have a look at KoolKids signature for the link.

Can you show me a link please.
    And is it something I could install myself
    All myself and my wife want is for the alarm and home phone line to contact us somehow on our mobile phones if and when the alarm is triggered.
    With Eircom the alarm panel and home phone number would send us each a text saying the alarm was triggered and what exact zone was triggered.
    So id like to have something sorted out now we have changed to UPC.
    What equipment do I need to do this and how easy is it to install for an average diy person?

degsie wrote: »
    w ww . boards .ie /vbulletin / showpost.php?p=74457559& postcount=6

Thankyou very much for the link,this I think I can do myself.

Do I need a digital dialer aswell or would there allready be a dialer built into our HKC alarm panel?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As said elsewhere your HKC dialler can handle SMS or central station monitoring. You will need a standalone voice dialler if you want to have your alarm call you over a UPC line.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    As said elsewhere your HKC dialler can handle SMS or central station monitoring. You will need a standalone voice dialler if you want to have your alarm call you over a UPC line.
    So does this voice dialler get plugged into a plug socket or does it get wired into the HKC alarm panel itself?
    How exactly does it all work with the RJ11 cable and the UPC modem?

You give the voice dialler 12 volts power from the panel. You connect the phone line from the the UPC line and give the dialler a trigger from the outputs from the panel.

You give the voice dialler 12 volts power from the panel. You connect the phone line from the the UPC line and give the dialler a trigger from the outputs from the panel.

So the HKC alarm panel would need to be powered down then from the consumer board?

It doesn't have to be, but it's always advisable to turn off the mains power before opening the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Would I be right in thinking that if you have a dialler connected and configured to contact you on alarm trigger then that would negate the need to have to pay a monitoring company as you have in effect taken care of the monitoring yourself? Or have I dumbed it down a few too many levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 brk13

Would I be right in thinking that if you have a dialler connected and configured to contact you on alarm trigger then that would negate the need to have to pay a monitoring company as you have in effect taken care of the monitoring yourself? Or have I dumbed it down a few too many levels?

From reading other posts, yes that is the case. A voice dialler will contact you when alarm is triggered.no need for monitoring station.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

We just moved from Eircom to UPC.When with Eircom the HKC alarm would send us a text if it was triggered.Since moving to UPC the alarm doesnt send us the text.We set if off to see if it would send a text but it didnt.
    How do I get the alarm set back up with the UPC box?
    Theres 2 spare cat5 cables sitting there at the UPC box doing nothing both of these cables go back up to the attic,so can these be used to hok up the alarm to the UPC?

The HKC Securewave does voice and text.
    If you have the older Securewatch installed then a voice dialer is the best option.

Our old friend has been banned again, I'm afraid he may not see this.:rolleyes:

Our old friend has been banned again, I'm afraid he may not see this.:rolleyes:

If he does not log in he will see it.

Don't think he's figured that out going by the number of alt accounts at this stage.:D

• Advertisement

Don't think he's figured that out going by the number of alt accounts at this stage.:D

If it does not help him it might help another user.

I'm sure it will.

I'm sure it will.

Me too, thats why I posted it :)

:confused:

:confused:

Whats the confused look for :confused:

We all post for information for others. I'm confused why we are still posting about it TBH.

We all post for information for others. I'm confused why we are still posting about it TBH.

I am posting about the Securewave using voice.
    If an end user has it set up for text then it can be changed to voice.
    No need for extra devices to be added.

You are posting about an end user being banned and have different accounts.
    None of my business really.

Still:confused::D
    I was simply pointing it out in case you wanted to contact him another way. I know he is/was a customer you did some work for.

Still:confused::D
    I was simply pointing it out in case you wanted to contact him another way. I know he is/was a customer you did some work for.

Regardless of who he is, if you or I know him, I dont want to know if he is banned or discuss if he has different accounts.
    That is none of my business.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads but....

a58d63e8-73af-11e3-_499536b.jpg

Advertisement