Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door Tamper Switch Missing

Options
  • 16-12-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭

Hi all, quick question. I had my front door replaced a couple of months ago, but I've only just now got around to replacing the tamper switch. The wire was not visible after the install,so I assumed it hidden behind the trim around the door frame.

Having removed this, I can't see any wire between the door frame and the reveal. I am assuming that the wire was either cut out broken during the replacement of the door.

So my question now is what's my next step, considering the main alarm panel is in the utility room, and therefore making it very likely that the wiring was ruin through the space between the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs floor, giving me no access to chase the wires

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What type of system have you?
    Is there an alarm device near the door like a keypad or a panic button?
    Also, what make of alarm have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

As far as I can tell, its a HKC secure watch, the keypad is directly beside the door, not sure what you mean by type of alarm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Securewatch is a wired system, that is what I meant.
    If the cable is gone there may be a spare pair on the keypad cable you could use.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Securewatch is a wired system, that is what I meant.
    If the cable is gone there may be a spare pair on the keypad cable you could use.

Thanks for that koolkid. If I run a cable from the keypad to the front door, will I have to reprogram the system to let it know which zone the front door is.

If you have a spare pair on the keypad cable you wire that to the front door sensor or contact. Back at the panel you would have to disconnect the existing cables for the front door zone and wire in that pair from the keypad cable instead.

• Advertisement

If you have a spare pair on the keypad cable you wire that to the front door sensor or contact. Back at the panel you would have to disconnect the existing cables for the front door zone and wire in that pair from the keypad cable instead.

Thanks again koolkid. Forgive me if I sound stupid, but from the above post I assume there would be a spare pair of wise not connected in the panel but leading to the keypad? These would be connected in place of the current front door cables?

cletus wrote: »
    Thanks again koolkid. Forgive me if I sound stupid, but from the above post I assume there would be a spare pair of wise not connected in the panel but leading to the keypad? These would be connected in place of the current front door cables?

Correct

Correct

You're a gentleman and a scholar sir

Your welcome. Let me know if you get it sorted.

Ok, having opened the panel and keypad, I have found the spare wires in the panel but not at the keypad. I'm including pictures incase I have missed something obvious

Is there any other obvious location for the spare wire?

• Advertisement

That spare cable could be for anything or going anywhere.
    Open the keypad and see if that cable has 6 or 8 cores. If so you can use 2 or 4 or those to wire onto your front door.

Merry Christmas koolkid, thanks for the reply. Pictures of the key pad didn't attach, I'll try again. It's only 4 core cable at the keypad

Pictures only uploading one per post

That rules that out an an option I'm afraid.

Kookid, you've been more than helpful so far, but I I'm going to push your good will just a little farther. Does this also rule out a diy fix for this problem

There is always a fix, just not always an easy one.
    Its either dig out the cable that's buried, run one from the next nearest device or panel or add wireless.

Advertisement