Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to satellite-whats my best option

Options
  • 20-05-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Have the standard 15channels from chorus cable at the moment(rte1/net2/tg4/tv3/bbc1/2/utv/ch4/sky new/sky1/mtv/E4/CN/ATraces. A mate also on chorus cancelled his sub and got a guy to install a dish which gets the FTA channels and he installed an aerial in the attic to get the the irish channels. I take it with this setup he wont get utv/ch4/sky1/sky new/E4/cartoon nk/AT races?
    Is there any FTA/FTV satellite/ariel combination I can use to get what I was getting from chorus cable and if so what will I loose?.I ment to say I am looking not to sub to sky digital as I am trying to cut out the yearly sub

Cheers

Comments

Without a sub, it will cost you a few hundred to buy and install a FTa system and get a FTV card( to view ITV 4 and 5)
    Subscribing to a family pack will cost about the same for the year except you will get the dish and box installed for free plus all the family pack channels for the year.
    Then at the nd of the year you own the equipment and can unsubscribe after the years contract is up.
    Thats your best option.

Do a thread seach here on FTV cards (free to View) theres loads of them and that will give you some background on how to get one.
    You will have 2 cards then and you take one out and put in the UK one each time you want to watch ITV as its blocked on the Irish sub card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Good idea of the first years sub EM ;) Have a fair idea what I need to do to get the ftv card. But I would really love to know i when I finish my first year and if I decided to go FTA+FTV+ ariel in the attic what stations would I receive?.Also I was thinking of getting a second box of ebay etc to stick the FTV card in and was wondering does it have to be sky box or anyone. Whats the best way to link all the boxes together so every room has access to them.

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well with an aerial in the attic, you'd expect to get RTE1, RTE2, TG4, and possibly TV3 (depending on location).

Using a second box from eBay is fine, but it MUST be a Sky Digibox, and can't really be in the same location as the box with subscription, as the one remote control will change both boxes!

Just a couple more things lads

1)Are all sky digi boxes the same or should I look for a particular one

2)When accruing a FTV card does it make any difference if I get it from the uk or the north.The reason being we get utv/ch4 here which comes from the North and if I get a FTV card from the uk it will give me the UK versions of these channels?

3)I have had a quick look at the list of channels for FTA and FTV. Am I correct in saying if i go with a FTA digi box+a FTV card I will not be able to get Sky1/MTV/E4/Discovery as these are only available if you sub to a sky package

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

cubix wrote:

2)When accruing a FTV card does it make any difference if I get it from the uk or the north.The reason being we get utv/ch4 here which comes from the North and if I get a FTV card from the uk it will give me the UK versions of these channels?

3)I have had a quick look at the list of channels for FTA and FTV. Am I correct in saying if i go with a FTA digi box+a FTV card I will not be able to get Sky1/MTV/E4/Discovery as these are only available if you sub to a sky package

Thanks

1) No. matter of preference to which one you choose. I like Grundig.
    2) No. You will be able to receive all ITV regions.
    3) E4 is FTA this month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Pal wrote:
    1) No. matter of preference to which one you choose. I like Grundig.
    2) No. You will be able to receive all ITV regions.
    3) E4 is FTA this month.
    1) Yeah, personal preference, although I think some have a better reputation than others
    2) You will have one ITV region at 103, ITV London in the 960's, with all other ITV regions through "other channels". Bit of a pain - if you really want a particular region then try and get a FTV card from that region imo. Channel 4 NI is just different ads - no different content.
    3) E4 not going FTA on satellite afaik (just freeview).

Thanks lads, so just to confirm with FTA/FTV I lose Sky1/MTV/Discovery and maybe E4

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

cubix wrote:
    Thanks lads, so just to confirm with FTA/FTV I lose Sky1/MTV/Discovery and maybe E4

Cheers
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

cubix wrote:

In my experience ( i sell these so I'm biased) the current Pace box is fast and very reliable. The Grundig box has the biggest failure rate of all digiboxes and is also the slowest.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Tony wrote:
    In my experience ( i sell these so I'm biased) the current Pace box is fast and very reliable. The Grundig box has the biggest failure rate of all digiboxes and is also the slowest.

I like my grundig box. :)

• Advertisement

The channels I will be missing that are mentioned above, is there any way of getting them via another satellite without a sub?

Advertisement