Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Definite shenanigans from that seller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The whole retro scene has fallen victim to Youtubers, with Metal Jesus and the like just mentioning a format and BANG, the catalogue jumps in price, including the trash titles.

Adverts has become a place with people looking for things for next to nothing, and people selling nothing for insane prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone remember back in the days when nobody really cared about old videogames and you could just hoover stuff up? There were even amazing deals to be had on adverts, if you can believe it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sunday markets were great, once upon a time, I don't think I have found anything decent here in a decade.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I remember being genuinely excited when I was younger to head along to markets, there'd always be something worth getting and people would be selling at give away prices. It's hard to imagine now, but people genuinely just wanted rid of old gaming hardware, was all about having the latest thing and really no value was attributed to the older stuff at all.

Second hand shops were amazing too. My mam was great for finding bits for me as she made her way around them a couple of times a week :D

I'll never forget the day I was sitting in college the guts of 20 years ago and she called to say that there was a Super Nintendo with 20-30 games in Oxfam for 30 euro and did I want her to pick it up. Can only imagine what they'd be looking for now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

I haven't been too active in here in a long time since selling the whole collection to another member haha, but been in the market for a dreamcast again for the last year locally but the prices have just been awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It’s screams of ‘my first money launder’ given the dummy feedback and the deleted ad info, coupled with the eye-watering prices.

I got into retro gaming as it was a once inexpensive way to pursue my passion for games. I now don’t even blink when I see super common games like Pokemon command triple figures.

It’s been novel watching RAGE go from being extortionately priced in the 10s to actually being reasonable given the hellscape that is modern game collecting.

I'd suggest you keep and eye on the Arcade & Retro Marketplace, or even post a wanted thread there, looking for a Dreamcast, at least the regulars that use it won't be out to scalp you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Always wondered about the retro game market in 20 years? What will happen. I doubt my kids will give a toss about my black label Silent Hill compared to the platinum version?

Toy collecting is gone absolutely insane too. Only way to find deals is dumpster diving now it seems. I got a full set of vehicles for a line years ago for €100-150.

Saw someone list them online for €2000

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I think the arse will fall out of it, no way our kids will have any interest in this stuff, nostalgia drives a lot of it. they dont have that for the same things.

Post edited by Optimus Prime on

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It'll be interesting to see if it's just nostalgia driven or if these things will actually hold value alright.

On one side of the coin you've things like baseball card collecting, which got to insane levels and then the arse dropped out of it completely in the 90s.

But on on the other side, comic collecting has really taken off. Pre comics code horror comics go for an absolute fortune - and you're talking about comics from the 40's and 50's, so a lot of folks interested in and buying them wouldn't have been born when they were printed.

This is mostly (I'd imagine) driven by the superhero craze in the last decade and how much Marvel and the likes have joined the mainstream.

Similarly, videogames going so mainstream is the cause of retrogaming also becoming so popular. Is there any going back I suppose is the question, or as videogames are now so popular there will always be an interest in where it all began?

Everything going digital in this and future gaming generations might also be part of the thing that keeps an interest going in old hardware from purely a hobby level. In a similar way people are interested in classic cars that came long before they had any connection to them etc.

Hard to know. All I do know is I'm happy with what I have any cant afford to be paying the going rate on a lot of stuff anymore! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They were good when they opened. Could end up with some very rare things for silly low money but I think they cottoned on when I think Johnny Ultimate got a boxed copy of MUSHA Aleste for a bargain and I ran out of there with Alien Soldier for a tenner. They kind of realised some of the stuff was more valuable then.

Chris Kohler had an interesting twitter post about this from selling games at conventions this year. The Atari 2600 market used to be ridiculous but clamed down and now nobody cares about it. He said the same thing is happening with the NES market. The rare sought after stuff still sells but he can't shift the common or low value items. Megadrive and PC Engine are the same. SNES is still going strong but PS1 and PS2/Gamecube are getting into the insane phase with DS and Wii really taking off as well.

Original devices to play them on is going to be interesting, especially concerning the ones with lots of moving parts.

I can power up the Megadrive and it still works as it did on the day it was released, but those with optical drives just wear out, and how collectable is a PS going to be if it has an Aliexpress replacement drive installed?

I guess the more recent devices have moved so far into digital delivery that the opportunities to collect physical titles is not only reduced but marketed as R@RE!!! from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Does Metal Jesus and other bigger YouTubers really influence pricing? I remember watching a video where someone was tracking prices on games he had mentioned and concluded it didn't really make a difference.

Then again content creators like to copy each other and their top 10 lists or hidden gems lists are all the bloody same, it's like they don't want to have their own opinions.

There's definitely been some generic PS2/360 games I've seen that have absolutely no business being expensive, must have been on someone's list. Fortunately I've seen a few €20ish games that have escaped the minds of popular YouTubers. The idea of a sub-€20 post Covid game is still alien to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did for me at least once. Was looking for a copy of Trip World for months from Germany. Took ages to get one where the shipper didn't mess up asking if they would change to international shipping. Finally got a bare cart for 80 quid but gave it away to a friend of mine as a present. Went looking for another copy but by that time Jeremy Parish had highlighted the game in some of his write ups and mentioned how it had a limited German release and the prices were japanese copy prices (about 400+ euro a bare cart).

Here you can spend €150 on a notoriously low quality Pokemon romhack/bootleg without a hint of warning of it being shoddy bootleg goods.

Edit : Lowered to 110 while still not mentioning it’s a fake - an absolute steal.

Post edited by Mr.Saturn on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The offers here have to be a piss take, you’d have trouble getting rid of that in the recycling centre

Master of the Universe

Haha, what the absolute feck. The marquee is almost as big as the monitor 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

Who is going to ask if the weights are included?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The wall vent cover being stored underneath is a nice touch.

Realistically, for a grand how much choice would you have for a standard cab?

Master of the Universe

I think you might still be able to get one of the more common candy cabs in from Ronnie for about a grand? Astro and the likes?

Unfortunately it wouldn't include weights or an air vent for your wall though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Theres no way thats a real offer it cant be haha, i had a , in my opinion anyways, decent look SF2 themed cab (Original woody) up for sale for a year just waiting on an offer of 5-600 and nothing. now granted it only had a lcd and pandoras box in it and i may have been dreaming myself, but it was way better than that thing, it looks like homer simpsons spice rack.

There’s often real generic JAMMA cabs for €500 or less, I’ve sold some myself on here.

Haha it is like the spice rack, or the BBQ pit

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Does the PAL issue cause problems for you collectors? I'm always surprised when I see big money being sought for PAL games on adverts and the likes. I've no business being snobby as I didn't know any difference when I was a kid and was perfectly happy, and own no physical games now, but do ye lads not end up with a region modded system and ignore all PAL games?

Awful shame really, the country's (continent's!) whole market of games rendered a bit irrelevant.

Don’t most pal games run full speed on a region modded console?

I know on the snes/megadrive there are some games which don’t due to them being coded differently to compensate for the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Ah right, showing my ignorance here. I thought the mod was to be able to play NTSC games for some reason, didn't cop that would mean pushing the PAL games out at 60.

So you probably want a Tv that can display NTSC & PAL, a region mod that can play games at 50hz or 60hz and then you're set? (Probably better than just having an NTSC system as some of the games will be PAL optimised anyway, so more lines/better colour depth?).

Well that changes everything, hooray for PAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

I prefer to play at 60Hz where possible, but it brings its own issues....be it buying import US games which are now hit hard not only with rising prices, but with import duty/high post costs on top (and An Post's ineptitude with managing goods inbound)...or buying cheaper Japanese games, where you may have to sacrifice some of the language elements of the game (many don't need Japanese though which is great.) PAL gaming is perfectly fine, and each to their own, but if you've been spoiled by gaming at 60Hz full speed, you may notice PAL games look and sound a little sluggish in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

There's two aspect to modding a SNES. The first it to flip between 50Hz and 60Hz, the 2nd is to disable the lockout to play NTSC-U and NTSC-J games.

Advertisement