Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Options
  • 18-08-2014 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

A film about a botched jewellery store robbery, told in a non-linear fashion with flashbacks from the perspectives of multiple characters.

On paper, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead sounds like a carbon copy of Reservoir Dogs, but in fact this is much more restrained than anything by Tarantino. It was the final film of Sidney Lumet, who had an incredible directorial career, starting with 12 Angry Men in 1957 and including the likes of Dog Day Afternoon and Network.

It's also one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's best performances (though weren't they all?). He goes through every emotion, from floods of tears to incandescent rage. There's a moment which seems to be an homage to Citizen Kane where, following an argument with his wife (Marisa Tomei), Hoffman trashes their apartment.

Tragically, Hoffman's character is a heroin user in the film, which is alarming given the actor's own fate.

This is one of the better, more underrated thrillers of previous years. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Saw it but for whatever reason I cannot recall a single thing from it. Maybe that sums up what I thought of it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

must put it on my wish list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I recall female nudity and a good movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Watched this on Christmas Day morning the year the Cathedral burned down, thought it was absolutely brilliant to be honest. Albert Finney knocks it out of the part.

...slightly afraid I'll think a bit less of it on rewatch though, like, I think it might be my favourite Lumet film!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dermighty wrote: »
    I recall female nudity and a good movie.

Got a wee chuckle after reading that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Carter Burwell's score is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What I remember from it:
    • PSH great
    • Maria Tomei, naked (often) and RIDICULOUSLY SEXY for a woman her age
    • Briain F. O'Byrne pretty good even allowing for the accent
    • Michael Shannon cameo
    • Uncomfortable PSH shooting up scene
    • Starts slow, but is ultimately a good watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

What I remember from it:
    • Briain F. O'Byrne pretty good even allowing for the accent

I knew I recognised him from somewhere!

I did think the accent was distractingly thick. When we first meet him he's wearing a balaclava. I thought it may have been Ethan Hawke deliberately adopting a fake New York accent to offset the chances of being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I thought it was a great film. The last film directed by an American great, the late, great Sidney Lumet. Over the last 20 years his films got better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Didn't like this. Philip Seymour Hoffman was great, as were Marissa Tomei's tits, but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Saw it when it came out at the cinema.
    Great performances, alongside PSH's, also Albert Finney's, unforgettable for me.

Advertisement