Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rover (David Michôd)

Options
  • 17-04-2014 11:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The follow-up from the director of Animal Kingdom, the trailer gives the impression of being the lovechild between The Road & Mad Max (echoing the escalating anarchy from the first film), which is no bad thing mind you.

The hellish Australian landscape also reminds me of The Proposition, but that could be due to the presence of Guy Pearce. In any case, while the material itself seems suitably harsh & bleak, equally it looks to be a hauntingly beautiful film. Definitely keeping an eye on it anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,345 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pearce is always on top form and watchable, it will be interesting to see how Pattinson fairs here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Yeah this looks decent. I enjoyed Animal Kingdom, good and dark.

I find Australian criminal stuff fascinating for some reason that I can't put my finger on.

Really looking forward to seeing this, Pearce is one of the most criminally underrated actors working today and as such it's always a pleasure to see him in anything. He has a series of made for TV films in Australia where he players a somewhat private eye called Jack Irish, they're rather familiar but he's great to watch and they make perfect tea time viewing.

Pattenson is one whom I've yet to really see in anything that made him stand out as an actor to watch though I did buy Cosmopolis so hoping he's good in it. Would hate to see The Rover and see him turn in a performance akin to what he did in the Twilight films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Saw this earlier, and while it's hard to fault the unapologetically bleak tone Michod establishes and maintains, I couldn't shake the feeling that it's merely another variant on ideas we've seen a whole load of times before. Certainly an exaggeratedly desolate Australian outback setting can't help but feel overfamiliar at this point given how many films have done so - especially given how memorably it was handled in the likes of Wake in Fright. The 'odd couple bonding on post-apocalyptic roadtrip' is borderline hoary (although here, it should be said, the relationship takes a slightly different path). Even within the film, it quickly becomes apparent that the film has one major dramatic tool up its sleeve that it insists on repeating to the point of predictability -
    tense build-up followed by blunt, brutal gun death.
    The film makes its strongest impression in the opening half hour, and then settles into a rhythm that doesn't tell us a whole lot of new information or take us anywhere really interesting until the closing minutes.

Nonetheless, I think most viewers will struggle to dispute that the film makes few concessions in bringing its dark and violent world to life, with most of the characters themselves husks in a world where the concept of empathy seems to have disappeared entirely. It's gritty to the point where you can almost feel the oppressive heat, dust, sweat and dried blood. The cinematography is strong, as are the performances - although I must confess Pattenson's performance bordered on hicksploitation pantomime whenever he spoke, and his performance was more affecting during his quieter, more desperate moments. The soundtrack is really interesting and unusual - a tad invasive on occasion, but mostly fits in with and supplements the mood of the piece. Michod remains a director of much promise and obvious talent, but given some of the issues mentioned above he struggles to push The Rover to great heights. Still worth a gander, though, as it's one of the least romantic films you'll see in cinemas this year ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I quite liked this, it was brutal and unforgiving in a way that American post-apocalyptic films don't seem to have the stones to commit to. Tonally, it was something like Mad Max crossed with Snowtown (although I didn't feel quite as drained of the will to live as I did at the end of a theatrical screening of Snowtown...) - some lovely visuals and a solid, unusual soundtrack (bar
    the baffling intrusion of some second-rate R&B towards the end for a minute or so
    ).

Even Pattinson didn't screw this up/get in the way, although the OH did point out that at best he demonstrated that he can steal from Leonardo Di Caprio's superior version of effectively the same performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?. I'm not sold on him being particularly worthwhile as an actor yet, but here he at least acquitted himself passably, although he was outclassed in every way by Guy Pearce, who managed to take a role that's positively minimalist on verbiage and still make it very expressive.

I'll admit the script could have been a bit better, but personally I really liked the fact that the film gives us just enough information about the Collapse and its repercussions to understand the reality of contemporary life for the characters. The specifics are irrelevant - the fact of it happening is all that matters, and nothing changes for the characters throughout the film in that respect. Where inferior post-apocalyptic dystopias will usually have a narrative arc involving Uncovering The Secret Truth or Finding The Cure/Solution), I think The Rover is all the stronger by choosing instead to follow the life of just another screw-up amongst many, surviving however he can in an unforgiving mess of a world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I have to say I loved this and it has one of the best and darkly funny endings I ever seen
    Eric (Guy Pearce) just wanted the car back so he could bury his dead dog, his only loyal friend seen as his wife cheated on him, after killing up to a dozen people on the way
    . This isn't quite as great as Director's Michod's Debut Animal Kingdom but it's near enough.

It reminded me a lot of another Aussie film Wake up in Fright, Guy Pearce is great as always. Robert Pattinson as Reynold's gives his best performance to date ( I think he's better going for this slightly oddball characters then playing straight good guy roles, he has that strange off kilter vibe to him). Also loved the little role from Scoot McNairy as Pattinson's brother and David Field ( The Guy who gets stabbed in the throat in Chopper and Jay's Uncle in Inbetweeners 2).

Some scenes stick in the mind
    The shooting of the Midget frightened the crap out of the audience I was with, The scene with Pearce and The Grandma was very David Lynch like, The speech with the Guard and Pearce when he admits to killing his wife and the shoot out in the end, also the beauty to the bleakness of Pearce throwing the bodies in a pile and burns them as the sun goes down
    . I can understand the mixed press it's been getting, it certainly isn't a film for everyone but I loved it.

Can some answer something for me, did Eric
    Kill the Woman Doctor
    , it just bothered me cause you just see him pulling her to the floor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Looper007 wrote: »
    Can some answer something for me, did Eric
    Kill the Woman Doctor
    , it just bothered me cause you just see him pulling her to the floor.

I don't think so - I thought he just
    grabbed her in a sort of choke hold or something and threw her to the floor, basically leaving her alone once he's satisfied that she's not going to fight him further

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fysh wrote: »
    I think The Rover is all the stronger by choosing instead to follow the life of just another screw-up amongst many, surviving however he can in an unforgiving mess of a world.

It's definitely served well by 'normalising' the setting - a quick title card and a few ambiguous references in dialogue are all that's needed alongside the mere realisation and details of the setting itself. After all, it's hardly like these characters are going to be discussing the details of the collapse on a daily basis ;) The minimal approach is both appropriate and a natural fit for the material. I also liked how all this was clearly just one miserable episode of many in the ongoing desperate existence that is Pearse's characters life -
    it's a bold decision that the event that really affects his character happens off camera and is only revealed in the final minute.

It frustrated me that they took this clearly rich setting and didn't come up with many imaginative or unique ways of exploring or elaborating upon it - almost all the major scenes are mere variations on a common theme: a temporary peace interrupted by a sudden act of violence. Given how common these type of settings and stories are in literature, films and even games (certainly some shades of The Last of Us here, which itself was inspired by a whole host of other works) and Australian cinema in particular, I was left wanting for something that felt 'new'. At least Michod's direction ensures that even if it lacks originality in several respects, it's all realised with enthusiasm and artistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

(bar
    the baffling intrusion of some second-rate R&B towards the end for a minute or so
    ).
    I really liked that. A nice touch that really showed how innocent Pattinson's character still was.

Thought it was a brilliant film overall, even if it was atmosphere over theme and character. It's a definite case where a minimalist approach helps the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I don't think so - I thought he just
    grabbed her in a sort of choke hold or something and threw her to the floor, basically leaving her alone once he's satisfied that she's not going to fight him further

thanks Fysh, I had a feeling he might have broke her neck or something cause she went quiet very quickly. Looking at it now
    He probably didn't kill her cause she was taking care of the dogs, that scene when Eric finds the dogs and the emotional look holds a lot more power now that you know why he wanted the car back so badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I really liked this. It was moody and quite bleak and had some memorable imagery.
    I thought that the score added to it as well and it was interesting to hear a couple of songs by Tortoise on the soundtrack.
    Their music really suited the post-collapse landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I thought that the score added to it as well and it was interesting to hear a couple of songs by Tortoise on the soundtrack.
    Their music really suited the post-collapse landscape.
    Yeah really great use of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Saw this yesterday and just found it average tbh. It starts well for the first 40 mins or so but then runs out of legs. The setting is brilliant as are some of the characters along the way but the films really lags from half-way. Some of the situations are totally unbelievable
    the shootout from the house is ridiculous with the 3 lads just basically killing themselves the way they acted and also the guy shooting at Pattinson in the hotel

Overall around a 6 out of 10 for me, thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I thought it was tedious and so full of plot holes it was ridiculous. The whole premise was absurd

I thought it was tedious and so full of plot holes it was ridiculous. The whole premise was absurd

What did you think was absurd about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Watched this last night and thought it was terrible .

A bland, forgettable, and stretched-out tale where two dull and stupid undeveloped characters go on a little revenge trip that could have been told in just a few minutes, but which the writer incorrectly thought should be an entire film.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Watched this tonight thought it was a brilliant movie, thought Pattinson done very well in that role. Story didnt need to fill in any gaps to make a nice neat round package at end, just showed Pearces character having ****ty day or so.

The end scene was jaw dropping.

Advertisement