Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an 'at home' dog trainer?

Options
  • 29-06-2011 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, looking for some help with my 18 month Golden Retriever.

She's a lovely dog and calm at home. But if we have visitors she goes crazy and works herself up into such an excited state. Not nice for her and also very restrictive for us. She also isn't great off lead and I can't trust her on re-call. Wants to say hello to everyone and 50/50 if she does she'll jump on them. I think something I'm doing isn't helping as a friend let herself into our house and commented that she didn't jump on her, yet she always does when I'm around. So maybe it's a human trainer I need! Previous trainers have advised for guests to ignore her but that's not practical when you've a big dog trying to jump into your face.

I know she's young and grew up with goldens so know they take a few years to grow up but I'm due a baby in a couple of months so really need to try and get this sorted asap as she'll have a lot more visitors in the house. Can anyone recommmend a good trainer in the south dublin area?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Siobhan from Dublin Pet School is fantastic, I'd recommend her if you're in the Dublin area. www.dublinpetschool.com

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

I have a goldie and we keep treats at the back door ... any visitors are instructed to get a treat on entering the door and my Goldie gets into bed to get the treat - than visitor is asked to totally ignore him till he is calm ...

i dont know and trainer but thought this might help - works most of the time here -

if he is outside and someone arrives I get them to make him sit and get them to through a stone and he legs it after stone and visitor becomes less important :)

:P distraction is a great thing :)

Advertisement