Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brain Damaged Dog

Options
  • 28-06-2011 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a strange one...

I must admit that when I first bought our Yorkie 8 years ago he was a pup only a couple of months old, and I didn't know a whole lot about dogs (or any animals for that matter). I've learned a lot over the past few years regarding what you should do when buying a puppy - ie. vetting the breeder, viewing parents etc. - and most of it is thanks to reading threads here.

Anyway, since we've had our dog we always thought he was a little 'special'. He stands on his back legs and 'waves' at you with both his front paws. He sometimes just runs around barking into the air at nothing, sometimes just stares at the wall etc etc....

Over the years he has had no health problems, has been to the vets for vaccinations and boosters etc. but the vet never mentioned any problems.

Over the past year or so his teeth have been getting worse, so we booked him into a different vet for a check up, teeth cleaning etc. When this vet checked him and was told about some of his behaviour, she said he has damage to the frontal lobe, but that he is healthy & seems happy and it's common in a lot of smaller dogs!

Anyone else here have a 'special needs' pet??!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

just wondering did she do a scan of his brain? if not dont know how she would know he has def damage to part of his brain. sounds like a normal yorkie to me. mine does the standing thing, barking is a terrier thing and mine often ignores me by looking at something else instead of listenin to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Special Needs Pet :D

well lets see:

OCD about licking...from the beach to home she will constantly lick the inside of her carrier. she will fixate on a particular tile in the kitchen and keep licking that for 30+ minutes.

If you call her in a normal voice she will run away it has to be high pitched or forget it. even then if anything scares her on her way to you she will vanish like you have shot at her.
    If you correct her for anything (even a simple ah ah!) she will run away for you and not come back.

Standing up- she will not come to anyone who is standing up....ever!

Smiling- if you smile at her she smiles back with all her little teeth showing.
    She runs everywhere, never walks.

she flips her head up when she barks so she is barking pointing up at the sky!
    my vet says she is not put together very well:o She goes berserk when being held for the vet. the best thing is not to hold her at all but tickle her chest and then she is like a little statue!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/07/dog.html

I've read it about fifty times now and I still laugh. These special creatures should be cherished :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

ppink wrote: »
    Special Needs Pet :D

well lets see:

OCD about licking...from the beach to home she will constantly lick the inside of her carrier. she will fixate on a particular tile in the kitchen and keep licking that for 30+ minutes.

If you call her in a normal voice she will run away it has to be high pitched or forget it. even then if anything scares her on her way to you she will vanish like you have shot at her.
    If you correct her for anything (even a simple ah ah!) she will run away for you and not come back.

Standing up- she will not come to anyone who is standing up....ever!

Smiling- if you smile at her she smiles back with all her little teeth showing.
    She runs everywhere, never walks.

she flips her head up when she barks so she is barking pointing up at the sky!
    my vet says she is not put together very well:o She goes berserk when being held for the vet. the best thing is not to hold her at all but tickle her chest and then she is like a little statue!

she sounds great....brilliant.......long life to her

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Very funny!! I'm still laughing, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

seamus wrote: »

I've read it about fifty times now and I still laugh. These special creatures should be cherished :)
    I have literally cried laughing at some of her stuff! So funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

"She thought she lived on the towel"......:D:D:D:D

Thanks Seamus havent read some of her stories in awhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

seamus wrote: »

I love it sounds so familiar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is a bit of a strange one...

I must admit that when I first bought our Yorkie 8 years ago he was a pup only a couple of months old, and I didn't know a whole lot about dogs (or any animals for that matter). I've learned a lot over the past few years regarding what you should do when buying a puppy - ie. vetting the breeder, viewing parents etc. - and most of it is thanks to reading threads here.

Anyway, since we've had our dog we always thought he was a little 'special'. He stands on his back legs and 'waves' at you with both his front paws. He sometimes just runs around barking into the air at nothing, sometimes just stares at the wall etc etc....

Over the years he has had no health problems, has been to the vets for vaccinations and boosters etc. but the vet never mentioned any problems.

Over the past year or so his teeth have been getting worse, so we booked him into a different vet for a check up, teeth cleaning etc. When this vet checked him and was told about some of his behaviour, she said he has damage to the frontal lobe, but that he is healthy & seems happy and it's common in a lot of smaller dogs!

Anyone else here have a 'special needs' pet??!?
    If he does have brain damage it doesn't sound too bad, in fact he quite sounds like my dogs, one will sit on her haunches and waggle her front paws for attention, both of them suffer from frequent cat or burglar mirages which cause them to run around barking like mad, and if they're staring at the walls it's generally a sign for me to inspect the property for signs of mice.

That said, Tegan is astonishingly dim. In 3 years I've managed to teach her 'sit' and 'come'. Anything else and she just looks at you like you're mad. She's terrified of balls and most other toys, but she is a lovely, special, little thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We used to have a dog that we took on as a two-year-old, it turned out that he had undiagnosed epilepsy and had brain damage as a result of his seizures. He was toilet trained, but we could not train him to do anything else at all. We had baby gates all over the house, because he couldn't learn not to go upstairs or into the kitchen. We all learned not to leave anything anywhere, as he loved to rip things up, anything from shoes to envelopes to cushions. We also couldn't let him off the lead when he was having his walks, as you'd end up chasing him across five fields before he got distracted by something and would allow you to catch up with him (he didn't respond to his name/dog whistles/anything). He was a lovely dog though, when he wasn't wrecking the house or running away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement